Custom replacement green leather coat for Asmus SLIM Aragorn?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
I’ve left my SLIM Aragorn posed this way (see photo below) since I got him because I figured I’d accept it as a static pose until the pleather cracked so that I can display him wielding his sword. I knew it would cause the pleather to crack and flake where its bunched at the elbow. It’s not noticeable at a glance, so it’s best in the balance for me to have him posed in a way that I like versus trying to preserve a pleather item that’s going to deteriorate eventually anyway.

I figured I would eventually hire a custom artist to make a replacement for me. I‘ll reach out to Gustavo Bautista Ponce (Old Traveler’s Workshop) on FB who has done some excellent work for me in the past on my Baldur’s Gate series kitbash. But any other suggestions who I might use? Or… and I realize this is a total longshot… has anyone heard of a company making a replacement for this? I.e., same idea as Daftoys making the HT Knightmare Batman replacement desert leather trench coat.

6BEA670F-117F-4102-9CEF-60D2D7825750.jpeg

I’ve left my SLIM Aragorn posed this way (see photo below) since I got him because I figured I’d accept it as a static pose until the pleather cracked so that I can display him wielding his sword. I knew it would cause the pleather to crack and flake where its bunched at the elbow. It’s not noticeable at a glance, so it’s best in the balance for me to have him posed in a way that I like versus trying to preserve a pleather item that’s going to deteriorate eventually anyway.

I figured I would eventually hire a custom artist to make a replacement for me. I‘ll reach out to Gustavo Bautista Ponce (Old Traveler’s Workshop) on FB who has done some excellent work for me in the past on my Baldur’s Gate series kitbash. But any other suggestions who I might use? Or… and I realize this is a total longshot… has anyone heard of a company making a replacement for this? I.e., same idea as Daftoys making the HT Knightmare Batman replacement desert leather trench coat.

View attachment 567149
I’d wait for Queen Studios to get around to making Aragorn and replace the whole thing. No use spending a load of money on a lovely custom coat when the head sculpt still looks nothing like Viggo. Slim Aragorn is pretty outdated now.

I have the one linked above and it’s okay. Definitely better that the stock Asmus but a bit thick.

Attachments

• 72660065-1EA7-47C5-AA40-9F263925D43D.jpeg
    72660065-1EA7-47C5-AA40-9F263925D43D.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 59
I’d wait for Queen Studios to get around to making Aragorn and replace the whole thing. No use spending a load of money on a lovely custom coat when the head sculpt still looks nothing like Viggo. Slim Aragorn is pretty outdated now.
obiously the qs, if they ever release one, will be a great improvement... but if you apply the forehead mod, the asmus slim could be vastly improved

this

this one....
I guess if the only problem someone sees with that sculpt is that the hairline is too gappy then that could be considered ‘vastly improved’ but everything else that’s wrong about the sculpt- which is everything- remains unaffected.

A vast improvement would be a sculpt that actually captures Viggo’s likeness, using hair that doesn’t resemble an ancient shoe polishing brush.

obiously even with this nod, the sculpt is far off viggo likeness... and we absolutely need a new attempt that captures viggo likeness. But i think that if you start from this

Attachments

• DSCF8999.jpg
    DSCF8999.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 19
and only with a cutter, some glue and washing the hair, you obtain this you can call it a vastly improvement of the original sculpt. For sure is way better the modded slim than the hd ones. The best Aragorn likeness is still the aci sculpt, but even that has its problems. Let's hope that qs will release a definitive aragorn, i can't wait.!

Attachments

• DSCF9819.JPG
    DSCF9819.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 17
Sometimes, posing the figure just the way you want is worth it, even if the pleather will eventually deteriorate.
Reaching out to Gustavo Bautista Ponce sounds like a great plan! He's done excellent work for you before, so he might be the perfect custom artist for this project. However, If you want a new provider, check out vonbaer.com. They have great leather.

Last edited:
Sometimes, posing the figure just the way you want is worth it, even if the pleather will eventually deteriorate.

I have no regrets. I‘ve enjoyed the figure that way. He’ll go back in the box once InArt Aragorn releases.

Nah, stick the InArt cloak on him and you’ve got a brooding Strider at The Prancing Pony!

That’s true! But I have limited display space, so there’s only going to be one Aragorn on display and unless InArt severely disappoints (which I’m sure it won’t) then he’s getting replaced.

Regardless, I went ahead and bought this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2840419771...d=&campid=5338413729&toolid=10001&mpt=3377884
Many thanks to @Jokes & Bats for linking it. It’s $60 which isn’t too bad. Price just about right to make me pop for it. I figure it should make the figure more sellable if I do decide to sell. I might not make the $60 back, but it might increase the chance of making a sale.

Back when I bought this figure I spent $400 to get him new/unopened. That was the most I had ever spent on a 1/6 figure. At the time it was the only way to complete the Asmus Fellowship. (The non-SLIM Aragorn at that time was a hard pass.) Pretty sure he won’t be selling for what I paid now that there’s the InArt version. But I’m into this hobby for pleasure, not to try to make money. (I only spend money on it!)

Last edited:
I’m tempted to see if I can re-root the the hair myself. I’ve never attempted anything like that. If one is to have a go at that what’s the procedure?

With rerooted hair and the new replacement long coat he could still be a decent figure. I’ve always appreciated the head sculpt’s likeness to the character. Or rather, for Asmus at that time it’s well above average at least. Although of course InArt is going to blow it out of the water. But anyway…

Last edited:
Back