Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Current discount codes at SSC and other random rumblings May code is AVENGE2015

Not at all. They decide what they want reviewed. Obviously we aren't the only ones doing it, some people do photo reviews, others do video reviews. What usually happens is usually something like this (which happened last week).

They contacted me and asked if I had The Mandarin, which I do. Then they asked if I had the Mechanic which I do not. So they said that they'd like us to review both figures, and they sent me a Mechanic figure. Then I usually ask questions about details of the review, for example do they want any of the Iron Man figures in a couple of the photos (since I have many of them). In that case they said no, just these two figures. When we reviewed Falcon, we also did a couple of pics of him with Winter Soldier and Cap, since all three of them are still in stock.

My Son and I sit down and talk about the figure(s) and what we like most about them, what makes them unique. We take pics of each other with them, then I take more close up, detailed pics of some of the items that we specifically talked about. Then I email them a written review and a lot of photos. They choose the pics they want to use, and usually the next day it goes up on their blog.

They know what reviewers collect and try to send them things that they would want to keep. I haven't had this happen yet but occasionally they'll send someone something that they don't want and I'm assuming when Optibotimus does figure giveaways, that is the case. You can't sell it but you can do a giveaway and drive people to your website/Youtube page etc.

Sideshow also monitors the traffic that the reviews bring in and as long as we are bringing in enough traffic, we get to keep doing it.

Hey while my 9 year old is getting so much press, good and bad, here is his Youtube page. Click Subscribe!

Gavin Richter - YouTube

Nothing but nerdy stuff - product reviews, movie reviews etc.
Very informative cofphoto! That's such a cool gig and experience to have with your son. Thanks for telling us the process! I wish I could get sponsored like that. I'm always doing reviews and taking photos... I've also been collecting Sideshow and Hot Toys Figure for as long as I can remember and I can only afford so much at a time. Getting them for free and reviewing it would be a treat for sure. I'll subscribe to your son's channel! :)

Re: Current discount codes at SSC and other random rumblings May code is AVENGE2015

Thanks man! Yeah I was pretty stoked when they contacted me and asked me to do it. I thoroughly enjoy doing it and I think it's a fantastic experience for my Son, especially the Youtube channel and doing videos. He's probably the only kid at his school that has a Youtube page, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and his own website.

(don't worry, I run them all. I didn't turn my 9 year old loose on Twitter all by himself)

I was just mentioning that to someone today. I'm a graphic designer and photographers nowadays don't get too much respect. Clients choke when we give them a quote for a good stock photo, not to mention a (reasonable) quote for a photo shoot with an actual photographer! Besides having clients suggest I use their horribly crappy snapshots and even crappier cell phone pics (and tiny, low res ones at that), I've had them say, "can't we just take one off Google?"

Uhhh yeah. I could talk about that all day. No one wants to pay a dime for a photograph nowadays. And when they get photos done, all they want to do is post them on Facebook, where all of their friends tell them how wonderful they are (even if they're total garbage). I actually keep meaning to write an article about the downfall of photography to put on my website. It would probably spread like fire. LOL

Last edited:

Uhhh yeah. I could talk about that all day. No one wants to pay a dime for a photograph nowadays. And when they get photos done, all they want to do is post them on Facebook, where all of their friends tell them how wonderful they are (even if they're total garbage). I actually keep meaning to write an article about the downfall of photography to put on my website. It would probably spread like fire. LOL

My dad was a professional photographer for years. I used to work as his assistant doing weddings every Saturday. He started his own business but it didn't make it. Tough business to be in, and that was around 15 years ago.

You should write an article!

My dad was a professional photographer for years. I used to work as his assistant doing weddings every Saturday. He started his own business but it didn't make it. Tough business to be in, and that was around 15 years ago.

Sorry to hear that. Yep, most "creative" fields are drying up, like design and even writers are having trouble finding work. It's the whole technology thing. As soon as computers with apps like Photoshop and Word, and good DSLR cameras (and not even that!) became affordable, everyone thinks anyone can design, write or take pictures just because they have access to the right equipment. So why pay high prices for a pro when my secretary "knows" Photoshop, can use Word, or has a camera?

Appreciation for real photography seems to be a rarity these days. The filtered instagram nonsense is what's popular now, unfortunately.

Thanks man! Yeah I was pretty stoked when they contacted me and asked me to do it. I thoroughly enjoy doing it and I think it's a fantastic experience for my Son, especially the Youtube channel and doing videos. He's probably the only kid at his school that has a Youtube page, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and his own website.

(don't worry, I run them all. I didn't turn my 9 year old loose on Twitter all by himself)

That's good! Very glad to hear that! Keep it up!

Just ask these folks if they'd represent themselves in a courtroom (not for a parking ticket), or do their own dental work. The problem isn't just access to equipment, as very good cameras have been affordable for decades, it's that the bar for "good enough" has been substantially lowered and mediocrity is the rule of the day. Look at the various app stores, driving the price of software to zero, instead selling in-game baubles to make big bucks.

It's a sad time when a filtered photo of someone's meal would get more admiration than one of my wildlife photos.

It's a sad time when a filtered photo of someone's meal would get more admiration than one of my wildlife photos.

This could be an opportunity. How about pictures of wildlife eating human food off of plates in people's homes and restaurants? ;) Or even just a very well appointed and high-class outdoor dinner spread. I'm sure that would get a lot of Facebook attention.

This could be an opportunity. How about pictures of wildlife eating human food off of plates in people's homes and restaurants? ;) Or even just a very well appointed and high-class outdoor dinner spread. I'm sure that would get a lot of Facebook attention.
You could be in to something. I'll sneak around in bushes, snapping shots of a herd of dinner plates in the wild. Add a few filters and I'll be famous in no time.

Social media makes me dislike even my closest friends and family. I hate it.

Want your mind totally blown? Read this.

None of those Instagram screenshots are transformative. In addition to the copyright held by the original photographers, I'm sure he has no model releases, so he'd have to pay the subjects as well. Then he also has no permission to republish the comments on the photos. He's clearly got a lot of money, so I'm very surprised a lawyer hasn't contacted all the potential plaintiffs - this could be a nice windfall, not to mention great press for the lawyer.

See, I don't think someone like "Dread Pirate Roberts" should go to jail for the rest of their lives for having run Silk Road on Tor, but I think this guy should readily get 10 to 15.

I just think it's hilarious that no one wants to pay more than $500 to have their entire wedding day photographed, yet people out there will pay NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS for an IG photo blown up? LOL

I just think it's hilarious that no one wants to pay more than $500 to have their entire wedding day photographed,

$500? That's like free. I'm not sure you can find anyone that has a professional business to do it for less than $3000 around here. I'll do photos for friends sometimes for free mainly because that's not my business, but even then, some of them will give me $100 for an hour's time dong nothing but some head shots. And I don't supply them with prints.

Clearly we're all in the wrong business and doing it all wrong.

AVENGE2015 now works on Hawkeye.

Sweet!!

Well when someone asks me about wedding photography I always ask 1. when, 2. where, 3. how many hours and 4. what is your budget? It's been YEARS since I've gotten a response with a budget of more than about $800.

Which is why I haven't photographed a wedding in about 6 years.

$500 is like free! $500 is the low price for a single good quality stock photo!

Yeah, that guy is unbelievable selling those instagram portraits. I hope he does get sued by the people he stole from. Shame on those idiots who bought them for $90K too!

This thread has made me unbelievably sad. I know it's only Wednesday, and I have to step out in 20 minutes to pick my daughter up from school, but when I get back home, I'm getting drunk. I'll make sure my daughter has a phone handy and a few emergency contacts on speed dial.

Back