Cobra Trooper is up! Use this link!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldnt wait, I went on ahead and ordered one from them. I figure when I get the other one I can always sell it.

You'll probably get VP's first. With CA's new taxes and non-USPS shipping, it seems like we're paying near import fees for these. :( It's amazing how ordering out of state only a few times, equates to the price of another figure. This is probably the route I'll be taking from now on for all the non-exclusive orders. A shame really. Their legendary customer service and $1.50 in rewards points just don't seem as appealing for regular orders anymore. :lol

You'll probably get VP's first. With CA's new taxes and non-USPS shipping, it seems like we're paying near import fees for these. :( It's amazing how ordering out of state only a few times, equates to the price of another figure. This is probably the route I'll be taking from now on for all the non-exclusive orders. A shame really. Their legendary customer service and $1.50 in rewards points just don't seem as appealing for regular orders anymore. :lol

I was thinking the same thing. Out of state for a non exclusive is the way to go.
BTW, Im going to assume you've dealt with VP in the past. In your experience, what is the time difference between SS shipping out their figures and VP getting theirs and shipping them out? I went with White Wizard because they had the pre-order at 89.99, no tax and free shipping, but it seems to be taking longer, well compare to others like VP. Since this is my first pre-order outside of SS, Im curious to know, on average, how much time do you give a store before you cancel and get it somewhere else.

I was thinking the same thing. Out of state for a non exclusive is the way to go.
BTW, Im going to assume you've dealt with VP in the past. In your experience, what is the time difference between SS shipping out their figures and VP getting theirs and shipping them out? I went with White Wizard because they had the pre-order at 89.99, no tax and free shipping, but it seems to be taking longer, well compare to others like VP. Since this is my first pre-order outside of SS, Im curious to know, on average, how much time do you give a store before you cancel and get it somewhere else.

I've been dealing with VP for a few years. Never had any issues. As far as expediting, it seems like they get theirs and ship about midway through all of Sideshow's orders being filled. And with a measly $3 difference between Parcel and USPS Priority, I always figure the money I'm saving will compensate so I get mine that much sooner by picking Priority. Additionally, like SS, they also have Viking Bucks (or whatever they're called), so when ordering the already discounted retail figure, you can apply those for an even bigger discount.

As for the cancellation deal, I'd give them a call and ask when it's expected to ship. I've used a few other sources in the past for non-Sideshow items and it's really a mixed bag. Some hella lag while others prefer to process immediately. If you can get it faster for a bit more from someone else, that's the way to go. But be careful of restocking fees. You might think you're only paying $3 more to cancel and buy it from someone else only to be hit with a 15% cancellation fee.

I've been dealing with VP for a few years. Never had any issues. As far as expediting, it seems like they get theirs and ship about midway through all of Sideshow's orders being filled. And with a measly $3 difference between Parcel and USPS Priority, I always figure the money I'm saving will compensate so I get mine that much sooner by picking Priority. Additionally, like SS, they also have Viking Bucks (or whatever they're called), so when ordering the already discounted retail figure, you can apply those for an even bigger discount.

As for the cancellation deal, I'd give them a call and ask when it's expected to ship. I've used a few other sources in the past for non-Sideshow items and it's really a mixed bag. Some hella lag while others prefer to process immediately. If you can get it faster for a bit more from someone else, that's the way to go. But be careful of restocking fees. You might think you're only paying $3 more to cancel and buy it from someone else only to be hit with a 15% cancellation fee.

Thanks for the info. Specially the heads up on the cancellation fee. I went to see if White Wizard had cancellation fees, and yep, they have a 10% fee. I will wait to get that one also. No biggie, since I'll either sell it or keep it to display with my CC.

At home waiting for the appraiser to visit. heres a sneak at my current project.

viper glider and the joe version is probably my first memory of gi joe, from the commercials.

viper glider and the joe version is probably my first memory of gi joe, from the commercials.

I remember being so pumped for those only to find that they were made of sh_t material. Literally something like foamcore. Looks cool Prog.

Bringing back an older discussion, but I said that I would prefer a Cobra symbol on these figures that was a patch instead of an iron on transfer, and some here were saying that a patch on this scale wouldn't look good. Well, I just saw this, and it looks pretty dang good to me.

My two troopers arrived from Alter Ego yesterday. I've only gotten around to opening one of them.

ccct.jpg

Incompetence will not be tolerated!

Bringing back an older discussion, but I said that I would prefer a Cobra symbol on these figures that was a patch instead of an iron on transfer, and some here were saying that a patch on this scale wouldn't look good. Well, I just saw this, and it looks pretty dang good to me.

Yeah, that does look good. Would a 60% hike in price look just as good? I can tell you that comparing Sideshow to HotToys is no good. At $150+ I expect embroidered patches and all the fine details. At $90 with near HT quality, not so much.

My two troopers arrived from Alter Ego yesterday. I've only gotten around to opening one of them.

ccct.jpg

Incompetence will not be tolerated!

Your commander needs a Drizzle cape. It'll help eat up that gap between hood and shoulder, especially if you're not using the trench.

Last edited:
Yeah, that does look good. Would a 60% hike in price look just as good? I can tell you that comparing Sideshow to HotToys is no good. At $150+ I expect embroidered patches and all the fine details. At $90 with near HT quality, not so much.
Possible. But who knows how much it costs for a patch like that to get made? The Joker comes with a lot more than that to justify the extra $60. Something like this would make a big difference to me, because it would jack up the overall quality of the figure, and at this price point, quality is a big factor. But, that's just one man's opinion.

But apart from all that, the issue before wasn't cost, it was if it would or could look decent. . .and now we know :D

As EF said, at that scale, yeah,m it's fine, but a FULL chest patch? no, it would make his chest far too stiff.

At the end of the day, though--no one except for me seems to have any issue at all with it. So, I think Sideshow made the right decision. Not bad by any means, but like I said, for me, that detail would push this figure over the top as a must own figure, as opposed to a pretty cool figure that it would be nice to have. It's the focal point of the figure, and if it looked to be of a higher quality, I think the figure would be improved significantly. Chest would be a bit stiff in that area, but Hot Toys Supes has the sturdy, plastic chest shield and it works fine.

I'll grant you that, and my custom batman has a rubber one. But trust me, even as the focal point of the figure, if you can get one in-hand, it looks ALOT better than any of the pics make it look.

I'm still hoping to pick this guy up, but with so many great figures and collectibles coming up, he hasn't made the cut in terms of priority stuff that I'm budgeting for right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back