Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Classic Comedians Thread - starting with Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy

My Dad's older brothers went to school with a lot of the kids from the Little Rascals. My Uncle Mike was in the same class as Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer. He told me that Switzer actually wore his little suit and bowtie costume to class in case he was called in to work. I asked him if the other kids made fun of him for it and he said "No, because all the kids in school were so poor that none of their clothes fit properly." He told me that the one thing that did stand out about Alfalfa was that he was disruptive during class time. My Uncle's exact words "That guy was always yapping!"
Thanks guys, for letting me share a few of my family's stories.

I always had a feeling "Alfalfa" was a handful. Maybe I got that impression from his small part in "It's a Wonderful Life". What a tragic end he came to. I can't imagine what a zoo the Our Gang film sets must have been with all those child actors and stage moms. The crews and directors must have been very frustrated.

I also loved the fact that Our Gang and Laurel and Hardy shared the great music of Leroy Shield. I remember even as a kid I got a kick out of that. I know now that it was a budgetary decision and not an artistic one but it still puts a Hal Roach stamp on the films.

Thanks for another great anecdote, George.

By the way, have you contacted Spencer yet?

Yes, it seems that a number of the Little Rascals experienced tragedies in their lives. Being thrust into the limelight at such a young age couldn't be fun for them either...
George, I really enjoy your anecdotes as well. Not to impose on you, nor should you feel like you have to respond, but do you have any pictures of your granddad or uncle that you can post with any of the Roach stars?
That request aside, please post pics of Stan and Ollie when you get them...thanks again!

I know that pictures exist, I just don't have them in my possession.
I'm assuming My Great Uncle's family has the bulk of them. He was known as Christopher Harvey in the business. His real name was Arthur Goodchild. He lived in Beverly Hills in one of the first big houses built there. He died young, in the early forties from the chemicals they were using to develop the film.
My Grandfather was the toolmaker and fixed the cameras when they broke down as well as other things around the lot. He worked out of a small shed with a few assistants. He landed the job through his older brother. He went on to work for MGM and Technicolor. He then started his own business after WW2. My Granddad tried to discourage me from going into the film business by telling me how sleazy it was but I didn't listen. So now I'm helping to make folks laugh with cartoons like he and his brother did with Laurel and Hardy. Speaking of L&H, should I contact spencer about the sculpts? Or is he going to contact me? I'm going to ask my good friend, Greg Mowry, to build and costume the figures for me. He created the costumes for a lot of Sideshow's larger figures.

I had to laugh when you said you Grandfather tried to discourage you from entering show-biz and how sleazy it was. I had no advice, and entered the business blindly. I am a freelance television camera operator and had to discover that fact on my own. I have worked on some questionable syndicated shows based here in NYC over the years and your Grandfather was not wrong in my estimation. I have had to take some hot showers to scrub the taint off me after some of the shows I've worked on. That being said... I've had a lot of fun and it beats working for a living.

As far as the L&H sculpts go, you have to PM (Private Message) Spencer and put in your order. He sells the sculpts either painted or unpainted, the choice is yours. I got the painted set and to my eye they are great but the paint applications are a little understated. With your access to artistic talent you may want to get unpainted sculpts, they are a bit cheaper.

Spencer has not ever publicized these sculpts and has never posted a purchase thread so these are really being sold, kind of, by word of mouth. Jerry (Geronimo) is the one who made their existence known to me and others. I still can't figure out why Spencer has not pushed them more.

Spencer has got a lot of sculpts he is trying to sell and is quite prolific so it may take a few PMs to get his attention. He will PM you back but it may take a day or two.

I hope that helps George.

Hey George, that's good advice that Jim gave you regarding Spenser. What I have found is when you PM him, he might not respond immediately, but he will. After about 4 or 5 days of no response, I'd pm him again and try to compress the message in the tag line (e.g. "great L & H sculpts; I'd like to order")...

Well, I didn't know that I was in the presence of Show Biz people (you and Jim)! Closest thing I ever got to show biz was being in a rock band in high school..:). I guess when you are on the inside, some of the luster fades. That happens with anything you do I suppose. Guys, you've impressed me...although that and 4 bucks will get you a cup of coffee these days...:thud:

Thanks guys! I'll contact Spenser.
Jim, I'm laughing right now about your sleaze showers. Here in L.A., It's getting so bad that showers don't work anymore. You have to get sandblasted! But you are right. It is fun and I don't know what else I would rather do.
Jerry, Thanks for the tips on contacting Spenser. If your ever in town, please stop by my studio "Nickelodeon" and I will personally give you and yours a tour. Coffee is free to visitors. That goes for you too Jim.
You guys are great!

Sandblasters! Now that is funny. I wonder about the people involved with "Honey Boo Boo"... They probably have to soak in a tub full of acid.

Thanks for the invitation, if I lived on the west coast I would definitely take you up on it, you are very kind.

Good luck with Spencer, let us know how it turns out. I can't wait to see your figures when you have finally assembled them. You are lucky you have Greg Mowry helping out. I am in the middle of sewing Ollie's shirt, and I end up with a headache after about two hours of working on it so I don't get much accomplished in one sitting. I'm about 1/2 way done as of now. I wish I knew someone who could really sew well.

Hey guys, as you guys live on the coasts, I live right in the middle of both of you...in the Chicago area, and we can sure use some sandblasting, acid flush, or whatever else for our politics! Here, we vote early, often, and even our dead relatives get a chance to vote multiple times...and that goes whether you are Democrat or Republican. I guess we make up for the lack of Show Biz gunk with political gunk...

George, thanks for the kind invite! I spend time on the road and get out to most parts of the country. If I'm every out your way I'll let you know.

If you (and that goes for you too Jim!), ever pass through Chicago, let me know and dinner is on me!

I'm looking forward to seeing pics from both your Stan and Ollie figures. I find it so interesting that the sculpts provide such great opportunity to bring out difference nuances of everyone's strengths. For example, George, if you get a chance, take a look at Jim's Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein thread and look at the detail he has put in to that project. I could never approach a project like the way Jim approaches it, because I don't have the patience for detail that he has; but that's what makes these projects great.

That goes for everyone who has ordered, or is in process of ordering Stan and Ollie...looking forward to seeing all the pics and posts..

Don't bring up politics, Jerry. Chicago can't be much worse than other major cities. Nationally and locally it's just one big cesspool.

No one says what they think and does what they say.

They say what they think you want to hear and do what they want.

I am sickened by the current presidential race and will not vote for either of these truth stretching frauds.

End of tirade and back to what counts... The comedians, who really can bring some joy and brighten up a day in your life.

You're right Jim...my mistake to bring up politics on this thread...I guess in a sense it's comedic these days, right? :panic:

On another note, here are some pics of Bud and Lou with the Andrews sisters in "Buck Privates"...Lou just got a bugle and has learned to play "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"...

695575ec051b308eaf83710572870999.jpg

b7c62b4c2e1717e810ee0f134531b918.jpg

5a16a60ff221913cb1d0c4b30ef8d8a9.jpg

And guess who stopped by the coffee shop the other day! Why it's the king himself, Clark Gable....

5eed730a.jpg

You're right Jim...my mistake to bring up politics on this thread...I guess in a sense it's comedic these days, right? :panic:

b7c62b4c2e1717e810ee0f134531b918.jpg

Now that is one great picture. It really shows off how really good these sculpts are!

I know! I'm going crazy waiting for L&H. Did Spencer sculpt Abbott and Costello?

GG.

Hey, George...

I'm glad you put your order in for the L&H sculpts. The wait shouldn't be too long, two to three weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are able to do with them.

Bud and Lou were done by another talented artist here by the name of Alex Lopez. Here is his thread if you are interested in them.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65006&page=10

I'm pretty sure he still has some available. If you want them, be prepared to wait two to three months due to the terrible Mexican postal system.

I've also made a thread in the horror section regarding Abbott and Costello if you are interested in looking at them. I started the thread long before these sculpts were made. It details my work on the things I made for an "A&C Meet Frankenstien" Dio such as Dracula's coffin and Frankie's crate. I got my son to do all the graphics like the printing on the crate the crest on the coffin and the placards for the Dracula and Frankenstien ledgends. I still have to make their jackets and get the heads painted.

Here is a link:https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17499&page=33

I know! I'm going crazy waiting for L&H. Did Spencer sculpt Abbott and Costello?

GG.

Hey blowtorch...

I chucked when I read your post...I know...the waiting is the worst part of getting these sculpts! It definitely builds patience, but believe me, it is well worth the wait.

Alex Lopez, and excellent sculptor did the A & C sculpts. You can find the interest thread on them below:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91560&highlight=Abbott+costello

I would PM Alex directly to purchase them...

Hey, great advice Jungle! Our posts crossed in the mail...

Wow Jerry!

Simultaneous Post! How often does that happen!

Jinx! does somebody get a coke when a simultaneous post occurs?
To tell you the truth guys, I don't even know if I officially ordered. Spencer contacted me and asked if I wanted painted versions or not. I replied and that's the last I've heard from him. I'm hanging in there! Jim, I did see your A&C meets Frankenstein setup. What can I say but, AWESOME!!!! Thanks for the lead on the sculptor Jerry!

Hey George,

Although I've pointed it out about Jim's A & C meet Frankenstein thread before, I just have to mention it again...

What's amazing about that thread is not only the incredible detail that Jim's project has been building up to, but his first post. In it, he has no idea if sculpts will ever be produced...he is just dreaming of what might be...and it came true! Pretty cool...

I assume you have Paypaled money to Spenser for L&H right? If you have, and you have heard from him, he hasn't forgotten you. It's just he has so much going on with all his sculpts. The first sculpts that I ordered from him (four Beatles sculpts), not to scare you, took over three months for me to recieve (with gentle reminders every so often from me). At the time, I didn't know the ropes, and it started to get to me. I started to wonder (and worry) whether I was going to recieve them. But he is good to his word...just a bit slow to respond and complete orders because he has so much custom work going on...

Last edited:

Hey George!

If you haven't paypal-ed, Spencer you have not put in an order.

If you have, you'll be getting your sculpts soon.

Hope that helps.

Back