Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Classic Comedians Thread - Laurel and Hardy, Marx Brothers, Jack Benny & others..

You can't have a Beau Hunks dio without "Jeanie Weenie"...well read, traveled all around the world...loved by everyone!

58c398926c273ff5657231037af67742.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Classic Comedians Thread - Laurel and Hardy, Marx Brothers, Jack Benny & others..

2a87a2434d878041c4cba30dd583903b.jpg

Check out the Abbott and Costello figures offered up on EBay by the Customizer...he did a great paint job on them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-CUSTOM...2626?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item416ed6ea12

Thanks so much for posting that ebay link. I wanted to post those pics on this thread so anyone looking in will get a chance to see them. The Customizer did do a great job on the paint with some exceptions.

Lou's hair should be a lot darker than Buds. It should be very dark brown, almost black.

The eyes are done so well but for some reason the eyes look a little lifeless. I'm not sure why.

KGrHqVHJDcFCjW9FPccBQuj7rlpgg60_57.jpg

KGrHqFHJCkFCYic92YUBQuj7YcdnQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqVHJCkFCZEpDPBQuj7lSY4g60_57.jpg

KGrHqRHJEkFC6JS39GBQuj7zLvlw60_57.jpg

T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2srKBQuj7-luh60_57.jpg

After reading your comments Jim, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't know whether the "lifeless" aspect comes from the painting or the sculpts themselves. Although they are good likenesses of Bud and Lou, their expressions were never the iconic expressions that we are used to seeing them have. They are kind of in between a scared look, and a straight expression. Kinda like a trance...hard to bring expression to that...

The painting of them makes me want to relook at the paint job that I did on mine. He's got some nuances to the eyes, etc that I like. Never thought about the hair color, but you are right!

Did you ever get yours painted up? Maybe he would be an option to do them for you...

Sometime over the upcoming holidays I hope to touch Bud and Lou up, and post some updated head shots for thoughts and recommendations...

Hey Jerry...

No, I haven't gotten mine painted yet. Everything is up in the air and on hold until we find out what is happening with our move to Arizona. We still don't know if the sale of our home in NYC is going to go through.

You are right about the sculpts, I was never 100% happy with them but they are the only ones available. I was thinking that if the eyes were looking slightly to the right or left it might give them more life. As they are now staring straight ahead and centered it does give them that trance effect.

I wish Mr Barlow had completed his A&C sculpts, they were really looking good.

Thankfully we do have Spencer's fantastic L&H sculpts, which I do not think anyone could top.

I hope all goes well with your sale. I will be in Sedona during the week of the 10th...very nice part of the country!

I only wish I was there on the week of the 10th! It would have been great to meet you finally.

4710b71f1cdd67a99bac008fde4458db.jpg

3020f0fd223bad58318a8c1aecd5a1d5.jpg

30c8e5304bf7f50819f90c264298c2d8.jpg

017f1bc8d535bd03b1e4ec9896ffd9f2.jpg

5c20dd3943f1bcd31a9550c8332d849a.jpg

d405a9187a84d93e2ed2762331a598b6.jpg

1dd178df13f8a16e67a0c395e7bcc99b.jpg

07ed3ad75320bab1df36049ab4a63791.jpg

Absolutely fantastic!

I especially like Stan in his uniform. I just see one little thing the bothers me. It is the hats, there seems to be just a slight problem where the white material meets the bill of the hat. It just appears to not sit straight across... if that makes any sense.

Great job in finding the perfect uniforms. It looks like they stepped right off the film set!

I'm so surprised no one but us ever seem to visit this thread. People are really missing out on seeing these great figures.

Many thanks, Jim!

Regarding your comments on the hats, I never knew this, but each is called a "kepi". They each have a separate cloth with neck flaps that fits over the kepi, so what you are seeing are two separate pieces. I didn't position Stan's as good as I should have so it seems a little crooked, but it easily adjusts.

It's always great to have your comments...more comments and thoughts from others are always welcomed, but I guess my purpose for posting is to kind of document what can be done, and to create ideas for others as well...

That's what you did (for me especially) with your Bud and Lou thread. Who knows, maybe others will stumble upon these posts and either think that we are stuck in the past, or alternatively put a smile on their face and encourage them to explore these great comedians and their work.

Great to know you that you are there, my friend!

If I get a chance, I will post more pics of the hats separately...the outfits came from the Beau Geste sideshow figures. Another point I never knew...Beau Hunks was a take off on Beau Geste, but the silent version staring Ronald Coleman. The Gary Cooper movie didn't come out until 1939, and it was an almost identical (scene by scene) recreation of the silent version...

Here are a couple of shots of the boys wearing their hats without their neck flaps...

8a0e4b05d27ca25f408ee85032724e77.jpg

6e0c6ccff0eb310fb25d47b672a15803.jpg

And some pics of them at night, or at odd angles trying to imagine what it might have looked like if we were on the set...

f3dda50c22e0fe9ea12d8da29334a7e0.jpg

181dbb0f1c6918d5f4e597f32098cd50.jpg

5950e8f685ceb4d4e2ac5a0bcfc2affc.jpg

dbf6ead321b2c3285cc11f03eb9037c0.jpg

Nice shots, Jerry!

I never knew that about the hats.... I always assumed they were all one piece.

I always think you do a great job on re-creating the black and white stills from their films, this one however, may be your best one yet. Great attention to detail.

I hope, at some point, you do the outfits from from "Be Big"; my favorite L&H film.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMkRiAHLH90[/ame]

Last edited:

I hope, at some point, you do the outfits from from "Be Big"; my favorite L&H film.

Lol! Yeah, "Be Big" was a good one! That would be fairly easy to recreate...sweaters and boots, right? I'll leave that one to you though (when you get back into the swing of things after your move).

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info and post. Curious to see what they come up with for Charlie...

Thanks for that link, Jerry!

It's good to know the boys had some great fun together off screen with their wives and Stan's boat.

these are fantastic, i finaly found a sailor outfit, need one more for my l@h from spencer.....great job geronimo.....they look great....there is just not enough old hollywood done on this board.....sad really..:(.....i joined the list for rocco's frankenstein and drac. wow they look good...not sure if you are into the horror classics....but these might sway you. i figure some sideshow clothing and these will look great....

For those of you that have METV as part of their tv subscription, they are showing several Laurel and Hardy shorts during the next couple of weeks (Laughing Gravy, Chickens Come Home, A Chump at Oxford).

And on TCM, this weekend you'll find the March of the Wooden Soldiers. That will put everyone in a happy, Christmas mood!

Back