Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Classic Comedians Thread - starting with Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy

Hey Jungle (and everyone),

I received my Chaplin (comical) and replaced the hat with Spenser's Olllie hat and it looks much better. I posted the text and pics below on a thread in the One Sixth forum. What do you think of the hat?:

"I received my Chaplin (comical) figure today. One thing about the pants; they seem to be just a fraction long. They would fall much better (without bunching or wrinkling) if either the openings at the bottoms of the pants leg were opened just a bit so they could be rolled up inwardly, or shorten the pants legs just a bit...

I have tried to pull the pants up, and also roll them up inwardly from the bottom. The rolling can be done, but difficult because the openings are small. I believe on the prototype picture the openings where just a bit wider on the bottom.

Anyway, just a recommemdation and not a big problem. With the replacement parts that are coming, this will be a real nice figure...I'm excited about finally having Chaplin in 1/6!

Here are some pics; the first one uses the hat that came with Charlie (that will be replaced). The rest use a derby from another figure that I have, and I believe it fits him nicely. I turned his pant legs up, and ironed that pants. Your comments on this would be appreciated..."

5cbf1aaf55d0fbc5515e1787e015a801.jpg

dae5bb33d68fc523a0dbbdda52782265.jpg

501dcdb891448cae7012c276f0e4ba99.jpg

564109313bed9b24403cc701782e258a.jpg

My Chaplin is sitting in the post office, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I just knew it would show up while I was away. Thanks for the shots, Jerry, they serve as a great preview. I have to say that I am relieved. The figure does have it's problems but the head sculpt is just what I was hoping for. I know Sean can't see Chaplin but I sure can. In fact it is the best 1/6 Chaplin head sculpt I have ever see.

Hopefully the replacement parts are up to snuff. Ollie's hat is a perfect fit and looks great. The jacket still looks bad but I think with the removal of the velcro and placing a snap a bit lower it will work.

Nice job on the pants, Jerry! You will have to do something about the skin showing by the ankles. Maybe just some painted on socks.

Hey Jungle Jim!

Welcome back!! Great photos! :clap:clap:clap

Yeah, I've been busy with Stan and Ollie...those sailor uniforms are Ken uniforms that came out in the mid 60's. They fit Stan great, and they also (barely) fit Ollie because they have a zipper on the side that can be unzipped a little to fit the fat suit...

Anyway, that staircase that you found is a riot...its a good thing you didn't have to carry a piano up there...

Great story (and quite ironic) on how you found the lens in the Bahamas...I've been there, and also have been to Sedona. Boy, two different places. In Sedona, there is nothing but desert, heat, a state prison (or maybe I'm thinking of Florence), and little water...

You should have received your Charlie Chaplin while you were gone. I substituted Spenser's Ollie hat on him, and it makes a big difference...I would love to know your thoughts.

My Chaplin is sitting in the post office, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I just knew it would show up while I was away. Thanks for the shots, Jerry, they serve as a great preview. I have to say that I am relieved. The figure does have it's problems but the head sculpt is just what I was hoping for. I know Sean can't see Chaplin but I sure can. In fact it is the best 1/6 Chaplin head sculpt I have ever see.

Hopefully the replacement parts are up to snuff. Ollie's hat is a perfect fit and looks great. The jacket still looks bad but I think with the removal of the velcro and placing a snap a bit lower it will work.

Nice job on the pants, Jerry! You will have to do something about the skin showing by the ankles. Maybe just some painted on socks.

Seems like we are typing at the same time, and our posts are crossing in the Internet mail....looking forward to seeing more pics when you get situated and back in the groove of a routine...

I'm surprised that you didn't see the boys...they were standing right in front of you...

bda196a8e8ba248b31fe83cf6e57d18f.jpg

Last edited:

very cool chaplin geronimo...,,,, i have one coming also.....glad your happy..it justifys my purchase.......can i ask what replacemant parts are you doing for chaplin?? is it clothes ot a body switch? thanks

very cool chaplin geronimo...,,,, i have one coming also.....glad your happy..it justifys my purchase.......can i ask what replacemant parts are you doing for chaplin?? is it clothes ot a body switch? thanks

Mightyq,

Kumik will be issuing the following replacement parts to customers that request them from their retailers that they bought the figure from:

- the head sculpt (Normal version. They will be doing a new sculpt)
- the hat
- a pair of hands
- snap on for the coat (after removing the velcro, the snap on can be sewed onto the coat)

Contact your retailer if you want any of the above. From my perspective, that hat will be the most important thing to change because the one that ships with it just isn't right. The body is fine, the pants aren't the best, but are ok. The tie is not right either. I will be looking for a black tie that is thinner.

Hope that helps!

I'm surprised that you didn't see the boys...they were standing right in front of you...

bda196a8e8ba248b31fe83cf6e57d18f.jpg

I just love the photoshop on this pic!

When Laurel and Hardy are ahead of you...

You know you're in trouble.

Mightyq,

Kumik will be issuing the following replacement parts to customers that request them from their retailers that they bought the figure from:

- the head sculpt (Normal version. They will be doing a new sculpt)
- the hat
- a pair of hands
- snap on for the coat (after removing the velcro, the snap on can be sewed onto the coat)

Contact your retailer if you want any of the above. From my perspective, that hat will be the most important thing to change because the one that ships with it just isn't right. The body is fine, the pants aren't the best, but are ok. The tie is not right either. I will be looking for a black tie that is thinner.

Hope that helps!

thanks pal....much appreciated:wave

I picked up my Chaplin from the post office today. Here are some quick first impressions:

I think the head sculpt and paint are excellent. I got the comical version which came out great except for the visible magnet in the center of the head. I will be making a hairpiece to cover it up. What were they thinking? The shots I've seen of the regular version look terrible.

We all know the problems with the hat, thank God they will be sending out replacements.

The knees on the figure are week so I performed the Krazy Glue trick on them and they are solid now.

I removed the velcro from the jacket and it looks pretty good now. I also spent a good deal of time futzing the collar of the shirt so it now looks correct.

The pants were problematic but after the water treatment they also look pretty good.

The shoes look great and are properly oversized.

The cane looks good but it could be a tad longer it doesn't hit the ground when he is holding it.

I will post some shots in the near future.

I picked up my Chaplin from the post office today. Here are some quick first impressions:

I think the head sculpt and paint are excellent. I got the comical version which came out great except for the visible magnet in the center of the head. I will be making a hairpiece to cover it up. What were they thinking? The shots I've seen of the regular version look terrible.

We all know the problems with the hat, thank God they will be sending out replacements.

The knees on the figure are week so I performed the Krazy Glue trick on them and they are solid now.

I removed the velcro from the jacket and it looks pretty good now. I also spent a good deal of time futzing the collar of the shirt so it now looks correct.

The pants were problematic but after the water treatment they also look pretty good.

The shoes look great and are properly oversized.

The cane looks good but it could be a tad longer it doesn't hit the ground when he is holding it.

I will post some shots in the near future.

I never thought about the cane but you are absolutely right. Likewise with the water treatment for the pants; good idea. Definitely, if you have any pictures please post...they would be helpful to see.

I found the tie to be a bit of a problem. It's ends are both wide, and although they can't be seen underneath the vest, they make the tie difficult to tie. I have another tie that would fit the figure better but it is entirely in black (the red stripes on the current one at least offer some color to the figure)...

I never thought about the cane but you are absolutely right. Likewise with the water treatment for the pants; good idea. Definitely, if you have any pictures please post...they would be helpful to see.

I found the tie to be a bit of a problem. It's ends are both wide, and although they can't be seen underneath the vest, they make the tie difficult to tie. I have another tie that would fit the figure better but it is entirely in black (the red stripes on the current one at least offer some color to the figure)...

I agree with you , Jerry. The tie was strange but the vest covers it up so just the knot and a bit of the tie are visible. It's not much of a problem.

As promised here are some shots of the Chaplin figure:

First off the factory figure with the terrible hat.

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0004-7.jpg

Now some shots using Spencer's Oliver Hardy Hat. It really makes the figure 100% better in my opinion.

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0005-6.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0013-4.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0016-4.jpg

DSC_0017-3.jpg

I think I managed to futz the tie and collar to get it close to his screen image.

I agree with you , Jerry. The tie was strange but the vest covers it up so just the knot and a bit of the tie are visible. It's not much of a problem.

As promised here are some shots of the Chaplin figure:

First off the factory figure with the terrible hat.

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0004-7.jpg

Now some shots using Spencer's Oliver Hardy Hat. It really makes the figure 100% better in my opinion.

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0005-6.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0013-4.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0016-4.jpg

DSC_0017-3.jpg

I think I managed to futz the tie and collar to get it close to his screen image.

Great pictures! Boy, you managed to get the pants looking real good!! Did you soak them and then let them dry naturally? I tried ironing only, and that didn't do much good. And your tie and collar look great.

It's a good thing we had Spenser's hats :clap....let's see what they eventually send as a replacement...

Yeah, I soaked the pants while still on the figure and then pulled them down so they looked like gravity was creating the wrinkles.

You're right Spencer's hat really improved the look of the figure. Unfortunately the replacement hat will never be as good as Spencer's derby. Kumik won't even come close in quality. I just hope it will be in proper scale.

Word of caution...as I was trying to take Charlie's coat off, I though I could easily take his cane out of his hand. The cane is very thin, and it snapped. I super-glued it back together, and also contacted my retailer to see if it was possible to get a replacement (which he is sending free of charge!), but...don't let it happen to you!

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about Chaplin's cane, Jerry. I'm glad your retailer is getting you a new one.

I have finally ordered the parts for Stan and Ollie. I ordered the Newline Overalls, two pair. Newline Black shoes and socks for Ollie and Brown Newline shoes and socks for Stan. I got a fat suit and Buck body for Mr Hardy and a Alpha Toys Narrow Shoulder Body for Mr Laurel.

I think that just about does it. I'm planning to make the shirts and ties myself. I can't wait to get started!

Sounds like you are ready to really start having some fun! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out...the great thing about Stan and Ollie is that you can change their look pretty easily and (relatively) inexpensively.

Thug: "Your money or your life!"

Jack Benny: "I'm thinking about it!"

And here he is...

660b4b45118c5bab646f66db7e481310.jpg

a9e8b8c971439fa6346a4f1711a0b1ca.jpg

8ef2aeb62fe1b42592f678a6b8c64af4.jpg

a033a2342f62cdb72b2bfcd315fa03fd.jpg

73b92b183cdb902d925cb29d56beefd8.jpg

d9b3ef42b2b605e6d972635c5806b172.jpg

I have to admit you were 100% right about that head sculpt, Jerry, it looks just like Jack! You did a great job fixing his hairline. I still think you can find better glasses for him. That 1/6 violin and bow were great finds.

The clothes are fitting him a bit tight, they wore much baggier clothes back then, maybe you can find something a bit looser.

Now you have to find a 1/6 Maxwell for him, Rochester would look nice in the driver's seat. If you are real ambitious you could even make his vault.

Speaking of the Maxwell... I've been searching for a 1/6 period car, maybe a Model T or a Model A for Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy, so far no luck.

Great points, thanks! Lol (regarding your model T search)! Yep, I don't think they make any. I've seen German WW II cars that might be possibly converted but it will be tough. We take trips into Indiana occasionally that have antique shops and specialty craft places. I'll keep an eye out, but a 1/6 model T will be a tough find....

Back