Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

I haven't seen anything that makes me think this will be bad at all. :dunno

You never saw Jurassic Park 3 or Fantastic Four?

:monkey3

I dont believe Johnston directed Fantastic 4

No but it pretty much made Chris Evans the star he is today, and is likely the foremost resposible movie for landing him this role. Playing another Marvel superhero sure didn't hurt his chances anyway. Nothing about his character in that movie lends confidence to his ability to play basically the polar opposite part emotionally, aside from blue tights. Cap isnt a whiney, flirty, smart mouth.

And JP3 was just the last really big movie aside from Wolfman that Joe got a crack at. Obviously going head to head with Speilberg aint easy but JP3 was a let down due to alot of story elements as well.

Last edited:

Red Skull being Hydra instead of a Nazi sucks, but since I'm guessing that will be a link between Cap and the Avengers it doesn't bother me too much. I guess if he's not a Nazi it's easy to focus on Hydra and ignore the Nazis. It's disappointing because it detracts from Cap's origin to a great extent, but like I've said before, if the movie itself is good, I can handle not being completely true to the comics.

I dont expect this effort by Johnston to rise above his previous offerings.
He just doesnt seem to have it in him to be a visionary film maker.
Evans while a poor choice imo does seem to want to bring a certain gravitas and seriousness to the character.

The only winner in this creative process (so far) is HT then us the collector.

I dont believe Johnston directed Fantastic 4

No that was Tim Story who directed Barber Shop and Taxi and everyone should have known that it would be a wreck before seeing anything on film. Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba were both ridiculously miscast and those who defend Alba usually do based on their attraction to her and nothing more.

Pretty much made Chris Evans the star he is today, and is likely the foremost resposible movie for landing him this role. Playing another Marvel superhero sure didn't hurt his chances anyway. Nothing about his character in that movie lends confidence to his ability to play basically the polar opposite part emotionally, aside from blue tights. Cap isnt a whiney, flirty, smart mouth.

True, Cap isn't. Then again would people hold Swing Kids and its ridiculousness or even American Psycho against him playing Batman, a character far different than both of those? What about Tobey Maguire who was horrid in Pleasantville or okay in Cider House Rules playing Spider-Man after? Or Hugh Jackman? Remember all the _____ing about him playing the part before X-Men? Let's not forget Heath Ledger's huge complaints about him playing the Joker.

I've learned many times over that an actor's previous films hold no barring against their abilities. Evans was fantastic in Sunshine and I even liked him as a basic hyperbole in Scott Pilgrim which shows he has range, the thing that is more important is a director able to focus and harness that energy. As we saw with Lucas, he had Oscar nominated actors that gave cardboard performances because of their direction and I worry about that more than the casting.

Red Skull being Hydra instead of a Nazi sucks, but since I'm guessing that will be a link between Cap and the Avengers it doesn't bother me too much. I guess if he's not a Nazi it's easy to focus on Hydra and ignore the Nazis. It's disappointing because it detracts from Cap's origin to a great extent, but like I've said before, if the movie itself is good, I can handle not being completely true to the comics.

I have a feeling that it was done more to avoid dealing with the whole Nazi aspect more than connection. This is a Marvel Studios production which ties just as much into marketing and merchandising than the film itself and I promise you that in revisions of the film that was thought of in terms of posters, toys, etc. With a lot of these Superhero films it seems like merchandising is more the aspect than the film itself, hell we saw the actual Hasbro kid's toys at the Stark Expo in IM2.

I dont expect this effort by Johnston to rise above his previous offerings.

I have to agree. I'm more excited for the film than I was, I'm over the Evans casting and the changes like Bucky and the ordeal of the USO but I don't think that Johnston has it in him for a spectacular film. I think it'll be a good film but nothing more than a ripple in the water overall. Which is unfortunate. I feel the same though about The Avengers, I like Joss Whedon, I really do, Loved the Serenity film but I don't think he has what it takes to make The Avengers what they could be.

Maybe I'll be really wrong but I have a feeling that when all is said and done Evans will be applauded for how well he did and Captain America will be looked at like it was a big success.

I saw it already...you will love it....:nana::wave:nana:

All I can tell you is that he throws his shield :yess:

See, that's proof that i've seen it :wink1:

Good enough for me! :hi5: :yess: :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't believe it! No way! Say it ain't so! :lol ;)

Maybe I'll be really wrong but I have a feeling that when all is said and done Evans will be applauded for how well he did and Captain America will be looked at like it was a big success.

I think its safe to say it'll be the best on screen adaption of Cap so far, for what thats worth.:lol

Good enough for me! :hi5: :yess: :lol

I don't believe it! No way! Say it ain't so! :lol ;)

Spoiler Spoiler:

Gotta million of them.

of course. :lol

Guess I'm just feeling good about it.

I think its safe to say it'll be the best on screen adaption of Cap so far, for what thats worth.:lol

Better than this?!??!

1224094906637_2CaptainAmerica_mif_290_210.jpg
e-gall-captainamerica-superheroes.jpg
captain_america_salinger.jpg

Sir you are surely joking.

Supposed concept art for the Red Skull, I think it is real. It looked like AICN had an article for it that was taken down and I found it on another site.

skull_concept1.jpg

There were a few articles that were suddenly gone, one mentioned that the cube actually deforms his head to look like that....should be interesting once something gets approved to see what is the story with these.

Supposed concept art for the Red Skull, I think it is real. It looked like AICN had an article for it that was taken down and I found it on another site.

skull_concept1.jpg

While I do like both of them, they do just scream "Trying to gloss over the fact he is really a Nazi and we are trying to forget that now by being politically correct, which is of course unpoltically correct since the Nazi party was in fact, a political party." I wish Marvel would just get over that and mak him a full blooded Nazi. I mean this movie takes place during WWII, he is German and wearing black. Most people are already going to instantly get it so they might as well just go with it. I mean its like not acknowledging Captain America is American. That's just part of the character.

Sorry for the rant. Just a personal pet peeve of mine about Marvel's treatment of the Red Skull's origins.

At least what I saw at SDCC looked like a black SS uniform so those are indeed close, if not real. And that other image of Hugo showed him in a green one. So its possible they are both what he is really wearing and certainly could have been much worse (green jumpsuit!).

While I do like both of them, they do just scream "Trying to gloss over the fact he is really a Nazi and we are trying to forget that now by being politically correct, which is of course unpoltically correct since the Nazi party was in fact, a political party." I wish Marvel would just get over that and mak him a full blooded Nazi. I mean this movie takes place during WWII, he is German and wearing black. Most people are already going to instantly get it so they might as well just go with it. I mean its like not acknowledging Captain America is American. That's just part of the character.

Sorry for the rant. Just a personal pet peeve of mine about Marvel's treatment of the Red Skull's origins.

At least what I saw at SDCC looked like a black SS uniform so those are indeed close, if not real. And that other image of Hugo showed him in a green one. So its possible they are both what he is really wearing and certainly could have been much worse (green jumpsuit!).

I agree. WTF? Nazis existed, they were evil, and now they're history. Let's just get over it. :dunno Sorry for my little rant.

Back