Built a Custom, only to find out a production piece is out soon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelpig

Super Freak
Reaction score
My process is I usually pick a figure/character I'm intrested in making, that dosen't seem likely to get made. Often enough, mor so now, one does come a long.
What do you do, keep the custom, get the production item?
Sell the Custom, keep the factory item?
Scrap it and use the parts elsewhere?
If you do have customs & the released pieces, please show them for comparisons, there's great work out there and often custom pieces top the trade items for detail, hard work & love of the character, would love to see some.
I'm gonna show my still unfinished Reeve Superman soon, (and I'll buy the Hot toys & probrably the mattel too!!)
Ah, such is life!!
( I keep mine by the way, sometimes preferring them to the production items).
Love to hear your thoughts, share some pics.....

Last edited:
Happens all to often. I like to stick with customs only. More because each one is unique. I only get a production fig if is something unusual & I really want. ie the Genji Crows Zero or the Medicom Balzac paper bag man.

I know a bunch of us who were working on our custom 1:6 Gimli from Lord of the Rings were hoping it would be followed by an announcement. :lol

I know I will usually compare the 2. I pick my Ray WAYYY over Mattels any day :p. Most of what I make though I keep. Just because I think fans can get the details the big names may over look.

It's not entirely a custom; more of a bash. It is still a work in progress; Blade. I know the HT Blade is awesome and I'm getting it, but my bash is a labor of love and I would never sell it or stop working on it.

I like my figures. I usually kitbash.. but i love to make a similiar figure for less than $50 instead of a hot toys for $150

Depends on either the toy company or the sculpt.

For example, if I want to purchase a figure of ouse, I would rather kitbash it using Serang's HS as oppose to buying the official figure by Triad.

I'm new to making customs and a couple that I made have already been announced soon to be made by HT. One of them I definitely will break down to use the parts for a future custom but the other one, which I really, really like what I did, will definitely keep and also buy the HT version. I put too much love into it to destroy!

Back