Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "pin vice" ambac? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that tool. I'm not a big "tool" person anyway. I was gonna give my father-in-law's power drill a shot using a very small drill bit. But, at the same time, I don't want to "trash" my Hicks's armor in any way either. Let me know what that "pin vice" looks like, and describe it for me if you don't mind doing that. Thanks! :D

Sucks! Sorry to hear that, I know you were just trying to help some people out.

So, question: what's the best way to "dye" or "repaint" or "bleach" the BDU's on the marines to make them more worn and accurate?

I need to do this first before I put anything together.

Good question Wor-Gar: Anyone have any ideas on how to fade out the BDUs as I have desperately been trying with no luck. I bought a set of BDUs from Chris (which are totally awesome) but I cant for the life of me fade out the colours. I have put them through at least 30 wash cycles and even tried bleach on a small test area but they still look too new. This is one of the last things I need to nail so I can finish my Hudson.

yup.... eyes are a b*tch alright. not just getting them round, and looking straight ahead so the person doesnt look crosseyed... but then choosing the emotion you wanna portray... and where you want them looking.

it's a bugger alright.

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked before, but I'm totally confused!

What Hot Toys figure does the HT Stoner head come from? I was always under the impression that it came from the Hudson figure. And the HT Stoner head is the best head for Hicks right?

Thanks!

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked before, but I'm totally confused!

What Hot Toys figure does the HT Stoner head come from? I was always under the impression that it came from the Hudson figure. And the HT Stoner head is the best head for Hicks right?

Thanks!

I think it is simply called the Stoner Gunner. It is by Hot Toys. There are two types of "Stoner" figure: one with a beard and the other is without. Here is s link to the figure on Toy Anxiety's website.

https://www.toys2.net/product.php?productid=19622&cat=0&page=1

If you don't want to buy the whole figure, there is a seller on ebay that has been selling just the head for about $15 shipped. Each auction has increased his selling price.

Thanks Bro! Is this one it?

https://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Scale-Hot-...ryZ27294QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I think it is simply called the Stoner Gunner. It is by Hot Toys. There are two types of "Stoner" figure: one with a beard and the other is without. Here is s link to the figure on Toy Anxiety's website.

https://www.toys2.net/product.php?productid=19622&cat=0&page=1

If you don't want to buy the whole figure, there is a seller on ebay that has been selling just the head for about $15 shipped. Each auction has increased his selling price.

No. The seller goes by the name yoshiishi. He doesn't have any for sale now, but every time I have searched lately, he seems to have another for sale. although, that looks like the sculpt, but it has been repainted. It might work though.

and he's selling it as a Stoner head? brutal!!

looks like i'm on the prowl for a stoner head now...

thanks for your help man. :D

A "pin vice" ambac? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that tool. I'm not a big "tool" person anyway. I was gonna give my father-in-law's power drill a shot using a very small drill bit. But, at the same time, I don't want to "trash" my Hicks's armor in any way either. Let me know what that "pin vice" looks like, and describe it for me if you don't mind doing that. Thanks! :D

Since brother ambac seems to be away at the moment, a pin vice is a small hand tool, generally about as long as your finger, that has a small chuck on the end. Some even have two. They hold much smaller drill bits than your father's power drill. You need to go to a hobby or model shop and look for the miniature drill bits. They ought to have pin vices there as well. Find a bit about the same size as the hole in Hicks' armour (or a little smaller) and you're good to go. All you need do is center the hole with the tip of a very sharp pin, ice pick, whatever, then turn the pin vice slowly with your fingers to drill the hole. Doesn't take much pressure at all, especially with a new bit. You could clean up the hole a little if you want by wrapping a small piece of very fine sandpaper around a toothpick, just be careful not to overdo it. Hope this helps you.

Thanks!

Reiny, I don't know if your question has been answered yet or not, but I have both of the figs from HT that bwayne was talking about. They're both Navy SEALs from the Vietnam War era. The bearded one has the HT muscular body and sports an M79 grenade launcher and an M60 MG w/short barrel, and is usually referred to as "Shorty". He doesn't look anything like any of the marines, so you can forget about him for now. The other one is armed with an M63 Stoner MG, and is therefore called "Stoner". He's got a MGS Snake "zombie" style camo face paint pattern, but it's Michael Biehn under the paint! So that is the one you want. You could also use the head that comes stock on Hudson, which also looks like MB with a repaint, but Stoner is arguably the better choice. Here's a pic of the Stoner SEAL for reference. Hope this helps.

NamSEALStoner1.jpg

NamSEALStoner4.jpg

NamSEALStoner4-1.jpg

Thanks a lot Mud. That's very helpful.

Now finding one!!

Does anyone have side by side comparisons of the Hudson head and the Stoner head?

Thanks a lot Mud. That's very helpful.

Now finding one!!

Does anyone have side by side comparisons of the Hudson head and the Stoner head?

If you skim back several pages in FML's customs thread you ought to find some pics of several versions of Michael Biehn repaints side by side. I'm pretty sure the HT Reese, Hudson/Hicks, and Stoner/Hicks heads were all there. (Sorry, I don't remember which page, but I think it was only about a week ago...)

I did some digging and found this for ya... Hope it helps.
Here's a comparison between the Stoner repaint (Josh) and the Hudson repaint (Les)
DSCN2066.jpg

DeksCM001.jpg

As you can see the Stoner hairline is just a bit more receded in the temples. Hick's hair was combed back in some scenes but very spikey in other shots. I think with the sweat it gave him a slick, combed back look but at other times it was messy and spikey. Still, I will take either of these to the Reese/Hicks sculpt that came with Hicks hands down. The likeness to Biehn in the face is dead-solid perfect.

Last edited:
Mud you rock! Thanks so much! Both those heads are great. With a good repaint, the Hudson head looks fantastic as Hicks, even though the Stoner one is slighty better.

Think I'll stick to Hudson (as i have it)

:D

I've got both the HT Hudson head, and got the Stoner on the way to me. I've played around with repainting the HT Hudson as Hicks last night. Looks good, but I am really looking forward to repainting the Stoner. Every time I've seen what you guys have done to repaint it as Hicks, it really does look more like Michael Biehn than any other head out there! I may add some Super Sculpey to the top of the Stoner head at the front to give it that "spikey" hairdo I prefer for Hicks. I like that hair style much more than the slicked back look for him. :D

Best and easiest way to tell the Stoner from the Hudson is the material it's made out of. If it's squishy, it's a Hudson. If it's solid, it's Stoner. For some reason HT used a soft material to make the HT Hudson figure, so you can tell right away. Stoner is the best, by far. :rock

And to answer the faded BDU question Stendec... best solution in my experience is to mix up a very very watered down off white wash and soak them in it for a minute or so.... wring it out and let it dry. Repeat if necessary. It stains the clothing lighter, as if it were worn for a long time and faded. Or you can always use the Rit Whitewash, I think that fades things pretty well... but I have yet to try it out on something.

A little warning to everyone customizing a Hicks, the paint used on the back of this replica isn't entirely film accurrate. I'm in the process of gathering reference images to touch up and weather my Hicks armor, and I've just come accross a still that I can post later, which shows the "lifer" text to be in white, I'll see if I can find a frame regarding the graffiti. Just wanted to share the heads up.

TE_Hicks_Back.jpg

Ok, so, not having any lucky getting a clear shot of the back artwork, but I did get a clear enough shot to see what the composition is on the back of the armor. It appears like the replica characters are correct, just larger than in the film, and I don't know where the DANGER section came from, but you can see it's no on Hick's armor, just the red characters and the white lifer text.

aliens_screen1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Maulfan. What scene is that from the movie showing the back of Hicks' armor? I don't recall seeing that shot, but I'm sure it happens very quickly. I wish I knew how to do screengrabs from DVDs. How do you do it? Let me know. What do you mean by "DANGER"? Did someone think that Hicks had the word DANGER written on the back of his armor? You say in your previous post: "but you can see it's no on Hick's armor". Do you mean that the word DANGER is NOT written on the back of his armor? I just want to be sure because I want to paint my Hicks armor as accurately as I can to how it looked in the movie. Since I am using Hudson's armor, I am repainting it all to look like Hicks' armor did. Thanks! :D

Since brother ambac seems to be away at the moment, a pin vice is a small hand tool, generally about as long as your finger, that has a small chuck on the end. Some even have two. They hold much smaller drill bits than your father's power drill. You need to go to a hobby or model shop and look for the miniature drill bits. They ought to have pin vices there as well. Find a bit about the same size as the hole in Hicks' armour (or a little smaller) and you're good to go. All you need do is center the hole with the tip of a very sharp pin, ice pick, whatever, then turn the pin vice slowly with your fingers to drill the hole. Doesn't take much pressure at all, especially with a new bit. You could clean up the hole a little if you want by wrapping a small piece of very fine sandpaper around a toothpick, just be careful not to overdo it. Hope this helps you.

Thanks Mudshark! I'll take a look for a pin vice tomorrow at my local Hobby Lobby. Maybe they'll have one. I'll give it a try if I find one. Thanks again. :D

Back