Buck Rogers (ZICA 1/9)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DarthNeil

42bd16a9f39ce466885f144b8d6fd94c.image.172x220.jpg

There's a Buck and a Tigerman.... Thinking about picking up at least Buck-- anyone have these yet? They're not true 1/6 as they're 8 inches.

Re: Buck Rogers (Mego style)

I have them both. Was very resistant because if they can do 1/9, they can do 1/6 - seems like a huge waste of a license.

However - these aren't the crappy BifBamPow type Megostyle. These are from Zica and are actually pretty high quality. The accessories aren't oversized and the outfits fit extremely well. The sculpt on Gerard is pretty good, although it seems to have suffered a tad elongation. The paint aps are minimal, but adequate.

They are definitely many steps above BifBam - but not up to the contemporary 1/6 levels we've come to expect. I'll be getting the rest of the Buck Rogers - but I'm hoping the company comes to it's senses and decides to go 1/6.

I Highly recommend these! the line needs to be supported (and very well deservingly so) to keep more characters coming...These are the Hot Toys of Mego's!!

Scheduled this year are:
Hawk
Killer Kane
Draconian guard trooper

2012 series 2

Wilma
Twiki
Vorvon Space Vampire
Ardala
Dr Huer

buy em! they are fantastic!

I have them both. Was very resistant because if they can do 1/9, they can do 1/6 - seems like a huge waste of a license.

However - these aren't the crappy BifBamPow type Megostyle. These are from Zica and are actually pretty high quality. The accessories aren't oversized and the outfits fit extremely well. The sculpt on Gerard is pretty good, although it seems to have suffered a tad elongation. The paint aps are minimal, but adequate.

They are definitely many steps above BifBam - but not up to the contemporary 1/6 levels we've come to expect. I'll be getting the rest of the Buck Rogers - but I'm hoping the company comes to it's senses and decides to go 1/6.

I agree. The Buck Rogers show is my most wanted in 1/6 format. Thanks for the review Dave-- I was only planning on getting Buck but now I think I'll go all out for both.

I Highly recommend these! the line needs to be supported (and very well deservingly so) to keep more characters coming...These are the Hot Toys of Mego's!!

Scheduled this year are:
Hawk
Killer Kane
Draconian guard trooper

2012 series 2

Wilma
Twiki
Vorvon Space Vampire
Ardala
Dr Huer

buy em! they are fantastic!

Excellent news!! I had heard about the first series but I'm ecstatic that Wilma and Twiki will be in series 2 (hopefully the line survives to that)-- I also love that they're going to release a Vorvon Space Vampire. That was always one of my favourite episodes (if only for the delicious evil Wilma). I might just have to aim for all of these. Thanks for the intel. Much appreciated.

They look good, but since they are not 1/6 it's a failure IMHO.

1/6 scale or not...these are based off the 8" scale mego of its time and there is a very high market of interest in 8" clothed figures......Zica has nailed this line so far based on the quality that it has put out and there is more greatness to come.If you dont own these,you cant really appreciate them

I agree. The Buck Rogers show is my most wanted in 1/6 format. Thanks for the review Dave-- I was only planning on getting Buck but now I think I'll go all out for both.

Excellent news!! I had heard about the first series but I'm ecstatic that Wilma and Twiki will be in series 2 (hopefully the line survives to that)-- I also love that they're going to release a Vorvon Space Vampire. That was always one of my favourite episodes (if only for the delicious evil Wilma). I might just have to aim for all of these. Thanks for the intel. Much appreciated.

The Vorvon Space Vampire has me the most anticipated of them all along with Hawk and Wilma....I hope they really do get made! Craig from Zica said sales were good and we'll see the rest of series 1 by the end of the year....2012 comes series 2...of course I want em now!

I wish they were 1/6-- but as there's no sign of that anywhere on the horizon... love the one you're with.

1/6 scale or not...these are based off the 8" scale mego of its time and there is a very high market of interest in 8" clothed figures......Zica has nailed this line so far based on the quality that it has put out and there is more greatness to come.If you dont own these,you cant really appreciate them

I just ordered both from one of my local Canadian on-line distributors so hopefully they'll arrive before the end of this week.

I like Buck Rogers and enjoyed watching it as a kid. I was on the fence about getting them as my real passion are the WGSH. I decided to pull the trigger after reading the positive responses on the Mego boards and HOLY COW! The Hot Toys of 8 inch is correct. I absolutely love them. They are my favorite figures of this past year although I like the 8 inch monsters and Sideshow's aliens, too.

I am totally on board and can't wait for the next wave of characters. If you are a fan of Buck Rogers or 8 inch, I would highly recommend.

Hi everybody, ZICA Toys here. First off I want to thank those of you who have given us compliments on the Buck Rogers figures. Considering this is our first attempt at entering the collectible action figure market we're very happy with how the final product turned out. Not everything was as we had hoped and there is room for improvement which we're still working on.

Sorry to disappoint the hardcore 1/6 scale collectors but in my opinion the 1/6 action figure market is already crowded enough without adding more to it. Also, considering everything is compared to Sideshow and Hot Toys in terms of quality and expectations we really didn't want to deal with that type of pressure. If you want these in 1/6 scale you need to contact Go Hero (www.gohero.com) since they have the ability to make this happen.

The 1/9 scale action figure market is still pretty much fertile ground which is one of the main reasons we went with that format. By attempting to raise the bar on what can be done in this scale, we're trying to set ourselves apart from the other companies who are doing similar figures. So far it seems like we're achieving that goal and also taking steps to assure we stay ahead of the game. For example, we have a female body in development that has the same features as what are commonly found on most 1/6 scale female bodies.

We're basically trying to take what's currently being done in 1/6 scale and bring it into 1/9 scale. If that's possible, we think there are a lot of opportunities for some very cool stuff.

Craig

Its all good Craig! keep those Buck Rodgers figures coming! they are best 8 inch figures right now

Hi everybody, ZICA Toys here. First off I want to thank those of you who have given us compliments on the Buck Rogers figures. Considering this is our first attempt at entering the collectible action figure market we're very happy with how the final product turned out. Not everything was as we had hoped and there is room for improvement which we're still working on.

Sorry to disappoint the hardcore 1/6 scale collectors but in my opinion the 1/6 action figure market is already crowded enough without adding more to it. Also, considering everything is compared to Sideshow and Hot Toys in terms of quality and expectations we really didn't want to deal with that type of pressure. If you want these in 1/6 scale you need to contact Go Hero (www.gohero.com) since they have the ability to make this happen.

The 1/9 scale action figure market is still pretty much fertile ground which is one of the main reasons we went with that format. By attempting to raise the bar on what can be done in this scale, we're trying to set ourselves apart from the other companies who are doing similar figures. So far it seems like we're achieving that goal and also taking steps to assure we stay ahead of the game. For example, we have a female body in development that has the same features as what are commonly found on most 1/6 scale female bodies.

We're basically trying to take what's currently being done in 1/6 scale and bring it into 1/9 scale. If that's possible, we think there are a lot of opportunities for some very cool stuff.

Craig

Thread title modified.

Thanks for the insight Craig. I can't wait to get these two (Buck and Tigerman) in hand hopefully later this week. I certainly hope that this line takes off as a Buck without Col. Wilma Deering and Twiki would be definitely an incomplete Buck. Most companies (even SSC and HT) have struggled sometimes with female characters, hopefully your Deering, as portrayed by Erin Gray, will be a homerun-- but here's the big question that I, as a huge fan of the original series, would like to know-- will Col. Deering be in her flight suit like the already released Buck or will it be one of the purple or blue spandex outfits?

erin_gray0248.jpg

images

267355.jpg

If only one is going to be selected maybe an Exclusive with one of the other options might be an interesting treat for die-hard Buck fans (those of us in our late 30's early 40's).

Thanks once again for the update and the insight-- hopefully this line really takes off. Oh, and I love the choices (Vorvon Space Vampire--- killer. Might we also see a Gary Coleman?)

Thread title modified.

Thanks for the insight Craig. I can't wait to get these two (Buck and Tigerman) in hand hopefully later this week. I certainly hope that this line takes off as a Buck without Col. Wilma Deering and Twiki would be definitely an incomplete Buck. Most companies (even SSC and HT) have struggled sometimes with female characters, hopefully your Deering, as portrayed by Erin Gray, will be a homerun-- but here's the big question that I, as a huge fan of the original series, would like to know-- will Col. Deering be in her flight suit like the already released Buck or will it be one of the purple or blue spandex outfits?

erin_gray0248.jpg

images

267355.jpg

If only one is going to be selected maybe an Exclusive with one of the other options might be an interesting treat for die-hard Buck fans (those of us in our late 30's early 40's).

Thanks once again for the update and the insight-- hopefully this line really takes off. Oh, and I love the choices (Vorvon Space Vampire--- killer. Might we also see a Gary Coleman?)

I know this one,Wilma will be in her white outfit like Buck(just like the 1st picture you posted)...she'll get her Helmet and blaster aswell

I know this one,Wilma will be in her white outfit like Buck(just like the 1st picture you posted)...she'll get her Helmet and blaster aswell

That's correct. :) Assuming the figure makes it into production there's always the possibility of an exclusive version in one of the spandex outfits.

Sounds good.

That's correct. :) Assuming the figure makes it into production there's always the possibility of an exclusive version in one of the spandex outfits.

Sounds EVEN better. I definitely hope that this comes to fruition.

I'm a long term addict of 1/6 figures. But these were too amazing to pass on. I see more quality in these than I do in some of the 1/6 around. plus if Criag can produce (hope of all hopes) a 1/9 starfighter and the rest of this line. I think it'll br the greatest toy line in recent history.
The Headsculpts so far are amazing. I can't wait to get hold of the rest. I think 1/9 is gonna be the next big thing, especially if you can get this level of detail into there work.
So look out 1/6 manufacturers, 1/9 is coming!!

Buy them guys, they dont dissapoint. I bought two Bucks one to keep mint in box. Thats how much faith I have in them. Plus as for refering to them as mego'. The Zica body is far more detailed, robust and poseable, with alternate hands. This body is to mego as chimps are to humans. there that good.

Last edited:
I agree,there are 8 more characters scheduled to be produced...how awesome of a site it would be with all these displayed together? The Starfighter is in prototype stage and if that sells..Hawk may get his ship too!

Sales depends on further additions unfortunately

The Starfighter would be fantastic--- but without Col. Deering and Twiki Buck'll never be complete. Let's hope the line does well so that series 2 (and beyond) get released... Also, how cool does that Adam West Presents line sound?

I'll be looking forward to seeing that. The Thunderfighters were a great looking ship and even now i'd rate it as my number 1 starfighter design.

I'm hopeful that my Buck and Tigerman will arrive today.

It's funny, my two girls (almost 5 and 3 respectively) love watching the Clone Wars with me (obviously Ahsoka was the original draw) but I was watching a few episodes from my Buck Rogers complete DVD series and it happened to be the one with the third appearance of Princess Ardala (when they create those multiple clones/zygots of Buck) when they came running in-- They liked Ardala as a baddie like Cruela Deville and they were both very interested in who Col. Wilma Deering was... Twiki was a hit as well. I think I've found a new show that they can watch with Daddy-- of course they didn't mind when I switched over to the Masters coverage either (go Phil) so maybe it's just spending time with Daddy. :lol

Back