Brown shipping boxes...part of the collectible?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The box is the box, if the statue isn't broken, then it did it's job

Tell that to the collectors of vintage toys where the box is worth as much or more than the toy. Thinking like that is exactly why they are more valuable. We probably won't get there with these pieces, but it does add value in my eyes.

Tell that to the collectors of vintage toys where the box is worth as much or more than the toy. Thinking like that is exactly why they are more valuable. We probably won't get there with these pieces, but it does add value in my eyes.

Those boxes were different. They were both the shipper and art box. Unless you knew someone at a Toys R Us that would give you the box that multiple items came in. Also with those old toys, many of us tossed the box once we took out the toys. That's another reason why they are worth so much. They are difficult to find at all, let alone in mint condition. As an example, I didn't keep any of my Star Wars or GI Joe vehicle boxes. I only had the odd box around when I searched.

I don't know when putting a box around the art box started. I know I've told the story around here or the SF, that when I ordered a TMNT Cold Cast statue a long time ago, they didn't even bother putting it into a shipper box! They just put the mailing label on the art box. Maybe it was Sideshow or some other company that started putting their art boxes inside of another shipping box.

yeah the toy box we use to get rid of because you didnt need it, you only played with the toy so thats why its worth so much, an art box is meant to protect the statue and it you move or store it its critical you have it, for a toy I threw it in my huge toy chest

That has nothing to do with what I said. Toy would be just as much fun for a kid ripped box or not.

You can't get at the toy in most packages without ripping that package apart - that's the point I think Mr.Walker was making.

The only reason packaging for vintage stuff is worth anything is because of its extreme rarity - and then only for highly collectible items - otherwise it's still just recycling material. With the number of collectors over the past couple of decades, it's trivial to find pristine packaging for almost anything of the time, so you're not likely to see insane prices like with vintage items.

You can't get at the toy in most packages without ripping that package apart - that's the point I think Mr.Walker was making.

Well, yes and no.

I'm not a trader. I buy what I really love, and generally only sell if an improved version comes along, and for 95%+ of my collection, that's never happened, so to me, boxes are a waste of space, really. I never need them again, and the only reason I keep them is because I have space in my roof category.

I certainly wouldn't be spending money on a storage unit to keep them on the off chance that in 10 years I might need one of them. That's a wasted expense, you've already spent far more on storage than the box is ever likely to be worse, and most of them time, it's simply not going to be worth it. Plus, as a kid, having ripped open and played with items that are worth many thousands today in MISB, screw it. I was a kid. I played with them, got dirt on them scratched them, and in a lot of cases broke them, but I enjoyed playing with them.

Isn't that the whole reason we collect? To enjoy our purchases? To make lightsaber noises as we play with things like our lightsaber prop replicas? To put our HT Batman in a kickarse pose on our shelf, so when we look up at him that little kid inside says "fooook yeah!"?

Even fairly recently, I bought a Palisades Muppets Backstage set, MISB, and first thing I did when I got it was to open it and pose some Muppets in it, instantly blowing hundreds of dollars, but man, it looks great on my shelf, and I smile every time I see it.

Screw it. You live once. Enjoy what you have, worrying about some financial appreciation that may or may not happen in 10 years is just stupid.

Well, yes and no.

I'm not a trader. I buy what I really love, and generally only sell if an improved version comes along, and for 95%+ of my collection, that's never happened, so to me, boxes are a waste of space, really. I never need them again, and the only reason I keep them is because I have space in my roof category.

I certainly wouldn't be spending money on a storage unit to keep them on the off chance that in 10 years I might need one of them. That's a wasted expense, you've already spent far more on storage than the box is ever likely to be worse, and most of them time, it's simply not going to be worth it. Plus, as a kid, having ripped open and played with items that are worth many thousands today in MISB, screw it. I was a kid. I played with them, got dirt on them scratched them, and in a lot of cases broke them, but I enjoyed playing with them.

Isn't that the whole reason we collect? To enjoy our purchases? To make lightsaber noises as we play with things like our lightsaber prop replicas? To put our HT Batman in a kickarse pose on our shelf, so when we look up at him that little kid inside says "fooook yeah!"?

Even fairly recently, I bought a Palisades Muppets Backstage set, MISB, and first thing I did when I got it was to open it and pose some Muppets in it, instantly blowing hundreds of dollars, but man, it looks great on my shelf, and I smile every time I see it.

Screw it. You live once. Enjoy what you have, worrying about some financial appreciation that may or may not happen in 10 years is just stupid.
I personally can't display all my statues at one time due to space so I rotate mine every six months and I need the boxes to store them back in for safety. I would never get a storage unit for boxes but I live in New England do I have a basement. I Set up shelves so all boxes and statues not on display are there.

I also have moved a few times and the boxes are lifesavers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I keep my shipper boxes because if I sell anything I have a ready made box to send it in but it doesn't matter to me if I buy something without one.

Like it or not sales on the secondary market are higher with the shipper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the minority here obviously, but if I buy SSC or HTs piece, it needs to have the original shipper - if not, it's no deal, Howie.

That's my question did you put the shipper in another box? Ie triple boxed

No. Just put a label on the shipper. I was advertising the art box, not the shipper for sale - when the buyer asked if it had the shipper, I just said "yes."

Back