How often do you check on your stored boxes?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
usually on i stored them out of sight out of mind but recently i had to pack and noticed most of the inner part of the boxes have deteriorated. the plastic trays are still ok. i guess the humid did some numbers on them. worst case is some of my blister packed toys have developed minor brown dots inside which cant be cleaned without removing the packaging.

boxes with glues adhesives and tapes are hit worse.

usually on i stored them out of sight out of mind but recently i had to pack and noticed most of the inner part of the boxes have deteriorated. the plastic trays are still ok. i guess the humid did some numbers on them. worst case is some of my blister packed toys have developed minor brown dots inside which cant be cleaned without removing the packaging.

boxes with glues adhesives and tapes are hit worse.
Back in the day, when I customized old Marmit kits ... besides dealing with yellowing plastic (easy enough to restore via the Peroxide method) I would sometimes encounter oily film/residue leaching out of plastic.

I really don't think keeping anything sealed long term is a good idea.

The only place to put my boxes is my shed. No climate control in it. This summer I’m gonna throw all my boxes away because I got a bigger lawnmower and I’d rather store that in the shed for winter time instead of freaking boxes. I’m honestly afraid of what they look like as most of them have been there since last summer and it was very hot and humid for most of it. I like to save the art boxes and eventually use them as posters, but if they have deteriorated that will suck.

Back in the day, when I customized old Marmit kits ... besides dealing with yellowing plastic (easy enough to restore via the Peroxide method) I would sometimes encounter oily film/residue leaching out of plastic.

I really don't think keeping anything sealed long term is a good idea.
those blister cards came sealed from factory. but there seems to be an opening where the peg hook hole is. probably how mold grew. same for those old ninja turtles they had a vent opening at the bottom.

but i do wrap my boxes, main reason is try to slow down the paper materials from degrasing. i would toss dessicated vag and moth balls in, but these dont past forever. another reason is to prevent humid and mold particles from getting in.

i know i cant stop them fully but if i wrap them up at least i can minimize the spread from each other.

The only place to put my boxes is my shed. No climate control in it. This summer I’m gonna throw all my boxes away because I got a bigger lawnmower and I’d rather store that in the shed for winter time instead of freaking boxes. I’m honestly afraid of what they look like as most of them have been there since last summer and it was very hot and humid for most of it. I like to save the art boxes and eventually use them as posters, but if they have deteriorated that will suck.
too bad. i like most boxes not just because they help hold value but when i looked back at my older loose stuffs how i wished i had the boxes and manuals, so that was probably what kept most of us to start keeping the boxes and why we didnt back then.

but i always hate the oversized boxes hot toys uses.

paper materials are the hardest to maintain.

Oversized boxes? …did you say oversized boxes?

1681353951166.jpeg

Back