Breaking Watchmen News...Not Good!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear this is a ready made Jerry Springer epsiode. :lol

Just get this figured out I want to see this in March.

hope gordon got about 180 mil laying around to refund WB way this things going he gonna get his arse sued if fox wins because he forgot to tell WB the full story of their rights, which it is looking more and more that is exactly what he did putting WB and fox in this position.

It's getting better... for us viewers, anyway:

From Cinematical:

First, let's tackle the Watchmen legal update. The Hollywood Reporter says that the January 20th court date has been canceled, and Warner Bros and Fox are talking about a settlement. It was expected we'd have one by now, since they started over the weekend, but it's apparently "serious" and probably heated too. You'll get your movie on March 6th though. What did we tell you?

Breaking (GOOD) news...

LAWSUIT. OVER.

https://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/011509-watchmen-fox- wb-lawsuit-dismissed.php

Key info:

Today, FOX and WB indeed resolved their issues and told Judge Feess so in chambers during their 3:30pm court appointment.

They have set up a hearing on Friday to present the settlement and have the case dismissed.

Details of the settlement have not been released, but it is said to includes a LARGE payment to Fox plus they get a percentage of the film's box office take.

FOX will not distribute the film and will not own any piece of the WATCHMEN property moving forward.

The studios are said to be drafting a release to announce the settlement.

And, for good measure:

settlementididitui8.jpg

I honestly did not think that the two rival studios would come to any sort of agreement fast enough to keep the release date. I have possibly never been so glad to be wrong!

fox acted in good faith WB acted in good faith, gordon skrewd both sides over and is gonna get sued by WB if not fox to.

film is gonna be released huzzah now lets hope it dont suck.

Money ALWAYS talks. Cant wait for this.

But it was WB's money that was going to have to do the talking, and I didn't think they would want to part with it.

This was the obvious solution, but at no time in the last eleven months did I get the impression that WB was going to be willing to pay up. I am quite relieved that this was resolved in time.

Franchise? Isn't this a one and done movie?

There will be no sequels. That's just in there as a formality to "protect" FOX, just in case... However, there will be multiple DVD/Blu-ray releases, including the "Black Freighter" and "Under The Hood" tie-ins. I'm assuming FOX will get a portion of those proceeds as well (which is really even more of a shame since there is no way and hell they would have bitten the bullet and produced those).

FOX also has no stake in the merchandising, and never did.

I honestly did not think that the two rival studios would come to any sort of agreement fast enough to keep the release date. I have possibly never been so glad to be wrong!

Meh. I was never really worried about any of this. Just a bunch of hot air and legal wranglings, though it did give Watchmen fans something to fuss and debate over. The lucky ones were those who never knew of any of this stuff to get in a twist over.

Bring on the flick and all the new bandwagon peeps that will get to experience the story for the first time. Hopefully the film will rock and get the movie crowd interested enough to go and read the comic! :duff

There will be no sequels. That's just in there as a formality to "protect" FOX, just in case... However, there will be multiple DVD/Blu-ray releases, including the "Black Freighter" and "Under The Hood" tie-ins. I'm assuming FOX will get a portion of those proceeds as well (which is really even more of a shame since there is no way and hell they would have bitten the bullet and produced those).

FOX also has no stake in the merchandising, and never did.

You never know. If it does well they could do movies based on the characters from earlier in their careers.

It would be pretty dumb - but this IS the studio that made Batman & Robin.

You never know. If it does well they could do movies based on the characters from earlier in their careers.

It would be pretty dumb - but this IS the studio that made Batman & Robin.

Sure, they might think about it and may even want to cash in. Problem is, Snyder, Gordon/Levin, Legendary Pictures, DC Comics, and pretty much everyone else with a stake in the film and its rights (besides, of course the dorks at FOX) are adamantly against any sequel/prequel happening. And though WB is at the top of the food chain it would still be monumentally hard (if not outright legally impossible) for them to actually go through with more films if all of those people and entities are opposed. And even though they are a sister company of WB Pictures, WATCHMEN as an Intellectual Property belongs to DC Comics, not any of the studios.

Think about it this way: Paramount can't make any INDY films without Lucasfilm. Pretty similar thing here.

Never say never. One would think that "300" wouldn't be apt for any kind of continuation property yet there is something still in the works. If it does really well I wouldn't doubt that it gets pushed really hard maybe even to the point of being done. Now whether or not its successful or not is another matter.

Back