Breaking Watchmen News...Not Good!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh. It can land anywhere from lukewarm to a big "surprise" hit. But, honestly, as long as Snyder's cut comes out on March 6th I couldn't care less if it makes any more than the $10 it's getting from me. It's not like there are sequels or spin-offs on the line, anyway.

:huh

Eh. It can land anywhere from lukewarm to a big "surprise" hit. But, honestly, as long as Snyder's cut comes out on March 6th I couldn't care less if it makes any more than the $10 it's getting from me. It's not like there are sequels or spin-offs on the line, anyway.

:huh

:lol ... the way things are now you KNOW if this movie crushed at the BO there would definitely be a sequel, prequel somehow ..dont kid yourself....

It just got worse:

https://www.cinematical.com/2008/12/29/fox-aims-to-delay-watchmen-release/

Fox Aims to Delay 'Watchmen' Release

by Elisabeth Rappe Dec 29th 2008 // 4:22PM

Filed under: Action, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Deals, Warner Brothers, Celebrities and Controversy, 20th Century Fox, Newsstand, Comic/Superhero/Geek
Watchmen is not going to end 2008 on a high note. According to The Hollywood Reporter, a lawyer for 20th Century Fox has said that the studio will seek an order delaying the release of the film. Ever since Fox first filed its suit, Watchmen fans have been panicked that the film's legal woes would delay its March 6 release. Seriously, Fox, don't you just want some money? A nice chunk of money? Don't kick the Watchmen when they're down.

Though the judge ruled in favor of Fox on Christmas, agreeing that Fox retained copyright on the film, he now plans to hold the trial as planned on January 20th. Warner Bros finally spoke out about the messy situation, via their lawyer, and said that he didn't know if the studio would appeal, but that trial was necessary, and a settlement was "unlikely."

So, despite that the scales of justice are tipped in Fox's favor, Warner Bros refuses to blink and agree to a payoff. Considering that Paramount already has the international distribution rights, they don't want to lose any more of the box office pie than they have to. Cue the theme to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and we'll keep you updated as this case drags into 2009.

Question: At what point do nerdy fanboys begin bombarding 20th Century Fox with nasty hate mail?

Today WB says they aren't going to bend over but are going to fight it. They plan to go to trial even though the judge said it was pointless. Hopefully there's some kind of appeal they can make.

So it's becoming more likely the release date will get pushed back.

I would think there's precedence of a company which owns a property forgoing their rights if they fail to protect those rights in a timely manner - which Fox certainly did with all the years that Paramount and WB spent developing the project.

Today WB says they aren't going to bend over but are going to fight it. They plan to go to trial even though the judge said it was pointless. Hopefully there's some kind of appeal they can make.

So it's becoming more likely the release date will get pushed back.

I would think there's precedence of a company which owns a property forgoing their rights if they fail to protect those rights in a timely manner - which Fox certainly did with all the years that Paramount and WB spent developing the project.

I hope so. It is one thing if they sued before production started, but waiting until the film was wrapped up and nearly finished is a hit below the belt. I think Fox was just desperate and found something they could cash in on.

Yeah, 25 years is a long time to have the rights without doing something with it.

I bet Fox is trying to push it to Summer--that way if they get to cash in on its success then it'll probably make more money as a summer blockbuster

Yeah, 25 years is a long time to have the rights without doing something with it.

I bet Fox is trying to push it to Summer--that way if they get to cash in on its success then it'll probably make more money as a summer blockbuster

It's not a summer-type movie though - I think WB's release plan is smart - keep it away from the blockbusters of summer.

Now Fox has come out and said that they'll try to get the release blocked. Most likely because WB has said they don't plan on settling (at this time).

This is bad news. I was hoping Fox would want a share of the profits instead of trying to block the release. I have little hope that this will be resolved in time for a March release.

WB does not want this movie to go out around the same time as there already pushed back Harry Potter

That is why I suggested flipping release dates. Gives Watchmen more time to work out the law suit and Harry Potter comes out less late. I'm still pissed about the Harry Potter delay.

Between WB and DCD I don't trust a release date anymore.

Further Clarification... this is a big mess. :(
(forgot what website I copied this from)

Last week federal judge Gary A. Fees issued a ruling in the Fox vs. Warner Bros. lawsuit over 'Watchmen' indicating that Fox is on solid legal ground and at least has distribution rights over the new movie. The judge recommended energies be diverted to reaching a settlement and ordered all parties back to court on Monday, December 29th, for a status conference to determine how the case would proceed.

Well, the conference has happened and the gloves are off. According to reports in both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. is not backing down from plans to release the film on March 6th and Fox is not backing down from its threat to block that release.

Warner Bros. released this statement to the media: "We respectfully but vigorously disagree with the court's ruling and are exploring all of our appellate options. We continue to believe that Fox's claims have no merit and that we will ultimately prevail, whether at trial or in the Court of Appeals. We have no plans to move the release date of the film."

Fox also had a brief statement for the public: "We are gratified by the recognition of our rights in the Judge's order, which speaks for itself."

Of interesting note: the website UncivilSociety.org has posted a PDF containing Judge Fees' December 24th ruling as well as various documents filed by Fox and Warner Bros. It makes for fascinating reading.

While many are characterizing the Fox lawsuit as an ambush, Fox claims to have evidence that Warner Bros. was fully aware of Fox's rights with regards to 'Watchmen'. Further, they're asserting that Warner Bros willfully and maliciously decided to move forward with the production and take their chances in court.

A key player in this is producer Lawrence Gordon, who initially obtained control of the 'Watchmen' movie in a 1991 agreement with Fox and has remained attached to the development of the film up to and including its current incarnation. Apparently Gordon hasn't been too helpful as this case has unfolded. In the Christmas Eve ruling Fees wrote:

"Gordon’s testimony regarding the facts, circumstances, and events surrounding the negotiation of the 1994 agreements would have been of assistance to the Court in evaluating the objectives of the parties at that time. However, Gordon refused to testify on that subject during his deposition because he supposedly could not separate what he knows based on his own recollection from what he learned from counsel. Gordon’s counsel therefore asserted the attorney/client privilege and instructed Gordon not to answer any questions on the subject. The Court takes a dim view of this conduct and questions whether the assertion of the privilege was proper. Moreover, the assertion of the privilege does have a consequence: having now reached a decision based on the record before it, the Court will not, during the remainder of this case, receive any evidence from Gordon that attempts to contradict any aspect of this Court’s ruling on the copyright issues under discussion."

Furthermore, Fox's filings indicate that, as a legal strategy, Warner Bros may seek to protect themselves by placing blame for any chain-of-custody issues at Gordon's feet, thereby making Gordon personally responsible for any damages Fox might recoup.

Absent some settlement agreement, the case will go to trial in front of Fees on January 20th and it'll be determined then whether or not fans will get to see the most anticipated movie of 2009 on March 6th, as currently scheduled.

I hadn't read the complaints before - Fox has a good position, but they rely that no other company "produced or planned to distribute" the motion picture as their reason for not suing before July 07, although they had requests by both Universal and Paramount for development costs. And when Gordon shopped the project around in 2005, Fox passed on it - that would seem to be a wavier of any rights.

This is bad news. I was hoping Fox would want a share of the profits instead of trying to block the release. I have little hope that this will be resolved in time for a March release.

A lot will depend on what happens at the hearing on January 20th. The judge could very well say that FOX should be a shared distributor and force them both to come to an agreement (or even come up with the terms himself) but also throw out their request to block/delay the MARCH 9th release date.

I still doubt it will come to a delay, but we'll see.

.... seriously ..... how does this even happen? ... surely some fine print readers' heads rolled for not resolving this before a dime was spent in production to begin with ... :monkey1

Back