Bowen Spider-man statue vs. Venom statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to go off on a limb and defend this piece even though it's not my favorite representation of either character.

The statue is obviously true to the source material. To tear it apart and label it as crap is the same thing as saying Beast looks like a stupid cat in the Sentinel Vs diorama, Punisher looks too skinny in the PF or the eyes on the Spidey 1:1 are too big. They are all true to the source material just like this piece. Would I have picked a piece based on Bisley's artwork if I were Randy? No. It doesn't have a very wide appeal besides hardcore Bowen supporters and statue fans willing to take a chance on something else given the movie hype.

I tell you this: it has nothing to do with SS Vs Bowen. I obviously prefer SS over Bowen. I will say that this piece gives me a better appreciation for Spidey Vs Venom bustorama. Even if it sucks that's a bustorama it is a superior piece compared to this one in my opinion.

They way Bowen emphasizes that it's big is as if this is his 1st shot at competing with sideshow in the vs dio line

SolidLiquidFox said:
I'm going to go off on a limb and defend this piece even though it's not my favorite representation of either character.

The statue is obviously true to the source material. To tear it apart and label it as crap is the same thing as saying Beast looks like a stupid cat in the Sentinel Vs diorama, Punisher looks too skinny in the PF or the eyes on the Spidey 1:1 are too big. They are all true to the source material just like this piece. Would I have picked a piece based on Bisley's artwork if I were Randy? No. It doesn't have a very wide appeal besides hardcore Bowen supporters and statue fans willing to take a chance on something else given the movie hype.

I tell you this: it has nothing to do with SS Vs Bowen. I obviously prefer SS over Bowen. I will say that this piece gives me a better appreciation for Spidey Vs Venom bustorama. Even if it sucks that's a bustorama it is a superior piece compared to this one in my opinion.
I believe this is very well said. You can't really rip apart a statue because you don't like the source material. Although I won't be buying this one it does look good for what it is. I am glad I got the 2 Spidey Vs. Venoms from SS though because they are more of what I was looking for. :)

customizerwannabe said:
Venom's ok, but I just don't go for a muscle bound Spiderman. That right leg looks horrible. I don't own a Bowen piece and these 2 aren't going to change that streak.

This will be my first Bowen piece...I just can't resist the Apocalypse.

bdapocst1.jpg

the more I look at it, the more I like it. (I LOVE Bisley's work)

heres the plan.
several of you guys on the fence just go ahead and pick one up.
if you dont like it, I'll take it off your hands cheap! :monkey5

RIGHT. Ok, now that I've seen the original art I see the problem. The sculpture is a PERFECT representation of it. The mistake would be choosing that art to sculpt from.
The sculptor has done has fantastic job.

Yeah most of Bowen's statues and busts are pretty nice looking, in this case it's the art they chose to represent the piece at fault.

I really like their new Symbiote Spider-Man and Classic Spider-Man mini busts though, they look great:D.

El Roranous said:
I believe this is very well said. You can't really rip apart a statue because you don't like the source material. Although I won't be buying this one it does look good for what it is. I am glad I got the 2 Spidey Vs. Venoms from SS though because they are more of what I was looking for. :)
I don't think anyone is ripping apart "the statue." People are ripping apart the depiction. The statue may be true to the source, but the source is not worth depicting in statue form (IMO), so I don't think it looks good for what it is. It looks accurate for what it is, but that's a whole different story.

Just because a statue is remarkably accurate to its source material doesn't mean I have to find the statue pleasing, or have any desire to own it.

RoboDad said:
I don't think anyone is ripping apart "the statue." People are ripping apart the depiction. The statue may be true to the source, but the source is not worth depicting in statue form (IMO), so I don't think it looks good for what it is. It looks accurate for what it is, but that's a whole different story.

Just because a statue is remarkably accurate to its source material doesn't mean I have to find the statue pleasing, or have any desire to own it.

Well said RoboDad, and that is why you're a RoboDad and not a RoboSon, RoboDaughter, or RoboMom.

If the 2D source material which this statue is based on isn't to your liking then it sure won't be to your liking in 3D form.

Eli26 said:
Well said RoboDad, and that is why you're a RoboDad and not a RoboSon, RoboDaughter, or RoboMom.
:mwaha

all true.
its not really the sculpt thats on debate. the sculpt is spot on.
What on debate is whether or not you like Biz's version of Venom/Spidey.

... me likey, but I def understand why many wouldnt.

I love Simons representation of it, but yeah I can see how some wouldn't. I also love his metal-album cover work, maybe that's why I dig it?

With comic books some art styles stick with you and some don't, it's all a matter of taste.

Then there are those that grow on you, I hated Humberto Ramos Spidey when I first saw it but it's really grown on me since.

JABBATHERIDGE said:
With comic books some art styles stick with you and some don't, it's all a matter of taste.

Then there are those that grow on you, I hated Humberto Ramos Spidey when I first saw it but it's really grown on me since.
I think it also depends on the subject. Some styles work better with some subjects than they do with others. The bulked-up look might work with some other superheroes, but I don't think it works at all for Spidey.

Okay, after looking at the source again, I'll admit I am growing more fond of it. I may just take Occulum's advice and pick it up, but I will not be selling it to him. Sorry.

5415.jpg

Back