Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the good things about the format war is that competition can be good for the consumer. Just imagine if Sony completely controlled the playing field. We would be at their mercy--they could charge whatever they wanted and keep us waiting as long as they wanted. With competition, both sides need to work hard to stay on top with cheaper prices and attractive titles and features.

Hot on the heels of Paramount & Dreamworks announcing their exclusive commitment to HD DVD today, Fox finally reaffirmed their plans to release their films on Blu-ray.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/pressrelease_fox2007bluray.html

So a little competition can be good when it causes studios to get off their butts and start releasing movies.

MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.
FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.
THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.
AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08
DIE HARD NOV. NOV.
DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV NOV.
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV. NOV.
RED DAWN (MGM) NOV. Q1 08
MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.
INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.
CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only
RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

All the studios are stupid. Why not just release on Blu-ray and HD-DVD and increase sales? :huh Am I over simplifying it. :eek:

All the studios are stupid. Why not just release on Blu-ray and HD-DVD and increase sales? :huh Am I over simplifying it. :eek:

I don't think you are. Warner wouldn't have sold 300,000 copies of 300 on only one format. They broke records because they were selling to both sides of the format war. It makes sense to be neutral, but the studios all have their loyalties.

some studios are CLAIMING that if they focus on one format only, then they can learn it's technology better and put out better supplements, and a better package altogether.

personally i think that's BS.

It's all about money and competition fellas. HD DVD paid Paramount off, simple as that. It's business. And yes, it sucks for Blu-ray owners such as myself, but still. Business is business.

Oh yeah, and when HD DVD goes downhill, Blu-ray will get Paramount anyways :monkey5

I know:monkey4

I will just have to live without Transformers on HD.

I have a PS3 and its Blu-Ray for me.

No HD Transformers for Chase:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I feel your pain man, my wife had to listen to me rant for hours last night about it. I shed tears with you King :monkey2

We'll get it soon enough, either when HD DVD goes down or when Paramount ends its contract with HD DVD.

I feel your pain man, my wife had to listen to me rant for hours last night about it. I shed tears with you King :monkey2

We'll get it soon enough, either when HD DVD goes down or when Paramount ends its contract with HD DVD.

Hopefully sooner than later.

Until than we shall start a support group for Transformer fans without HD-DVD players.

Back