Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.3 is the new version of HDMI. Deep color, better transfer rate, lossless audio, etc.

Found this blog entry:

"Just as were getting over the 720p 1080i, 1080p issues, along comes another feature on high definition televisions that is bound to be another source of discussion with the theme "is HDMI 1.3 really necessary?" If you're completely new to this, you should stop and read this post first. Currently (end of Q1 2007), there is only one HDTV on the market with HDMI 1.3. That is Sony's 70" KDL-70XBR3 LCD. In addition the Playstation 3 is the only home theatre device that outputs an hd signal via hdmi 1.3. The standard will also be available in a "type C" mini connector (shown below) which is aimed at being implemented in hd camcorders and other portable devices. But as is the purpose of this blog, let's get to the facts and benefits of this new version of HDMI.

Increased Bandwidth: Think of this in terms of your internet connection. The more bandwidth you have, the more data you can transfer at any one time. The more data you can transfer to a TV, the higher the increased ability to have a better picture. Current HDMI 1.2 has a 165MHz(4.95 gigabits per second) transfer rate, while HDMI 1.3 increases this to 340 MHz(10.2 Gbps). More than double!

Higher Resolution: Yes, that's right, a higher resolution than 1080p! We're now talking about a 2560×1600 or 1600p resolution with a 16:10 aspect ratio (this higher resolution is part of a display standard known as QXGA, but we'll talk more about that in another post). Yes. No misprints here. The chances of any HD TV's or blu ray players taking advantage of these features is years away if not entirely unlikely. But again. These are the facts. Check out this diagram to put things in perspective.

Deep Color, xvYCC Color Space: Remember this header. The high end hdtv's with HDMI 1.3 will be marketing this feature in the near future. In its simplicity, this feature will allow more colors, no, A LOT more colors on screen at any one time. Current HDMI and component connections allow for upto 17 million colors. Sounds good right? Well uptil now, it was. HDMI 1.3 will supports upto 48-bit (several billion) colors. This will prove a significant improvement over current hdtv's overall picture performance. More colors not only allows for a more realistic picture, but will also allow the reduction or elimination from picture defects such as color banding. Note that the chart below shows "24-bit" as capable of 17Million colors. What this means is that for each of the primary video colors, there are 8-Bits of color (Red, Green, Blue),making 24 bits total. As mentioned in earlier posts, this is not the same as the red, yellow, blue primary colors used in art, this is the video processing iteration. Currently most hdtv's are using 8-bit color while the new ones will be using a 10-bit color (30-bit total) if not more.

HD Sound: Remember Dolby digital on DVD? Special compression techniques were used to retain sound quality while retaining small file sizes. The result was great, but far from its original form. Well for hd there is a whole range of new sound upgrades. HDMI 1.3 supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio. These forms of HD audio include what they now term as "lossless audio tracks." This retains the full quality of the audio, leading to extremely clean and clear sounds, music and sound effects. The sound is entirely preserved in its original format. Get used to seeing these logos below.

Refresh Rates: As you know from my article on refresh rates and response times, if either of these are low, the picture tends to blur when things start moving quickly on screen. Current refresh rates sit around 60hz or 12ms response times, which is adequate. But with HDMI 1.3, refresh rates and reponse times expect to make a jump upto 120hz, or upwards of 4ms on LCD panels! This should eliminate or at least drastically reduce flicker, ghosting, smearing and all the other motion issues hdtv's suffer from.

So there you have it. No doubt you'll see a barrage of arguments arise as to whether HDMI 1.3 is even necessary. But without a doubt, it provides a fix for all the imperfections and side-effects we've experienced from the various hdtv technolgies thus far. Whether manufacturers choose to implement it is upto them, but expect to see HDMI 1.3 equipped hd tv's from the higher end manufactuers such as Sony and Pioneer on the horizon. On a side note, there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.3 cable. The cables remain the same, the devices provide the extra bandwidth. If you haven't bought an hdtv by now, you've managed to wait it out for 4 years. I would suggest waiting a little longer, perhaps until the end of Q2 2007 to see how things change. For those that have already made their purchase; your pickyness, willingness and wallets, will determine if you upgrade or not. After seeing the 70" Sony in action at CES 2007, I can honestly say I have never seen that kind of picture performance in a screen that big. I'm sold."

By the time HDMI 1.3 is common and available, we will already be talking about 1.4 and debating whether or not to wait for it.

:D

It's more like OLED displays will be out and we'll all be debating whether we want to keep our crappy plasma TV's or upgrade to OLED so we can use the new Super-Rainbow Ultra High Definition DVD's.

super rainbow... :rotfl

so guess what... I GOT MY HD DVD PLAYER TODAY!!!!!

i only have 2 HD movies at the moment, 300 and the Nine Inch Nails Beside you in Time HD DVD. they both look awesome!!!!!!!!!

question. regarding HDMI, for the visual component, do you connect it to the receiver, instead of the tv directly? the reason i am asking is because my player only comes with 1 HDMI output, so i'm guessing both audio and video go through that.

Yes--the HDMI connection carries both audio and video, so you can either connect the player directly to your TV or connect your player to your receiver, and then use another HDMI cable to connect your receiver to your TV.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy getting into high def!

thanks bro. do you lose any quality by going to your receiver, and then to your tv, versus directly to the tv?

do most players only come with one HDMI output??

Yes--the HDMI connection carries both audio and video, so you can either connect the player directly to your TV or connect your player to your receiver, and then use another HDMI cable to connect your receiver to your TV.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy getting into high def!

I haven't seen any players that feature multiple HDMI output connectors. In theory, there should be no loss in quality when passing the video through your receiver to get to your TV. That was one of the main reasons that HDMI was developed (besides DRM), that it will allow you to "daisy-chain" your components, and each one in the chain can extract what it needs and pass the rest on.

I haven't seen any players that feature multiple HDMI output connectors. In theory, there should be no loss in quality when passing the video through your receiver to get to your TV. That was one of the main reasons that HDMI was developed (besides DRM), that it will allow you to "daisy-chain" your components, and each one in the chain can extract what it needs and pass the rest on.

great to know. thought i was getting short chained!!

ok, another question for you experts.

so i'm hooking up my audio with an optical since my reciever does not have HDMI. I have one HD DVD that has both trueHD and dolby digital sound... and true HD sounds WAAAY better! if i'm not getting trueHD sound to begin with, why does it sound better? i'm not complaining, just curious.

My understanding is that with a digital signal, you get it or you don't--there's no faded or weak signal as with ****og. It's all a bunch of 101011000111001011100010101011000101 and it's either there or not. That's another reason why most people will tell you not to spend $250 on an expensive Monster brand HDMI cable. If the ones and zeroes are being sent on their way then you are good to go.

If your receiver has multiple HDMI inputs then you can connect your HD DVD player, PS3, etc. to it and then one HDMI output will send all of that to your TV so there only needs to be one cable heading up the back of your set.

And with the audio--even a downmixed/core TrueHD sounds better to many ears than plain old Dolby Digital. Optical isn't the end of the world!!

thanks bro. do you lose any quality by going to your receiver, and then to your tv, versus directly to the tv?

do most players only come with one HDMI output??

You shouldn't see any difference. I am running HDMI from my PS3 and HD DVD into a 5 port HDMI switch with that output going into one of the HDMI inputs on my Yamaha receiver then HDMI from the receiver to my TV. I can't notice any difference in quality between running the signal that way or going directly from the PS3/HD DVD players into the TV.

great to know. thought i was getting short chained!!

ok, another question for you experts.

so i'm hooking up my audio with an optical since my reciever does not have HDMI. I have one HD DVD that has both trueHD and dolby digital sound... and true HD sounds WAAAY better! if i'm not getting trueHD sound to begin with, why does it sound better? i'm not complaining, just curious.

Even though you aren't getting the full TrueHD track bandwidth, the downrezed output will still be at a higher bitrate than what the Dolby mix is at (1.5 Mbit vs 640k, I believe). Full TrueHD is even better sounding!

i'm very happy now! :D

ok, another question, (and please tell me when these questions are getting on your nerves):

how does downcompressed trueHD through the optical sound compared to DTS? which is better?

ok, another question, (and please tell me when these questions are getting on your nerves):

how does downcompressed trueHD through the optical sound compared to DTS? which is better?

I like trueHD downcompressed over DTS. That could just be me though.

Most DTS tracks on standard DVDs are compressed to half the maximum bit rate. The downconverted TrueHD track will always be at the maximum bit rate, and (to my ears, anyway) sounds spectacular.

But, if you had a DVD with a full bit rate DTS track, and an HD DVD of the same movie with TrueHD downcoverted to the same bit rate, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in the audio.

My understanding is that with a digital signal, you get it or you don't--there's no faded or weak signal as with ****og. It's all a bunch of 101011000111001011100010101011000101 and it's either there or not. That's another reason why most people will tell you not to spend $250 on an expensive Monster brand HDMI cable. If the ones and zeroes are being sent on their way then you are good to go.

The only glitch in your theory, Tom, is that some receivers actually extract and regenerate the video. You would think that bits are bits, and the receiver should just be able to pass them through, but from some of the stories I've read, that isn't always the case. Now, bear in mind that I don't own an HDMI receiver yet, so this is mostly anecdotal information.

alright, let's move this discussion in a little different direction:

what in your opinion are the best looking and best sounding HD DVDs??

King Kong, Corpse Bride, Hulk(from what I've read). Hot Fuzz was really good too.

Oh, and THE SEARCHERS. My, is that gorgeous.

Back