Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I check 5 years is good amount a time and to say totally eclipsed if kinda far fetched, most major rental places were still renting VHS much more then DVD in the early 2000s and sales were pretty much equal. Plus to go from VHS to DVD you didn't need a new TV to see the difference, but BR on a non HDTV is pointless so you have to factor in the fact that you have to get a whole lot of people to buy a new TV before even thinking about getting a BR player.

Oh yeah I just did a quick search and rentals were just about 50/50 in 2003 which is if I remember correct about 10 years after DVD was released.
Unfortunately, you do not remember correctly. In the United States, DVD was launched on March 25th, 1997 in seven limited markets. It was not released nationwide until August 26th of that year. Even in Japan, the format was only soft-launched in late 1996, and was not pushed much until 1997, since there were not many content providers yet in that country.

And the industry-accepted definition of when DVD eclipsed VHS was the year that DVD player sales significantly passed VCR sales, which was 2001 (less than 5 years after DVD's launch). Within two years of that time, virtually all retail space for VHS was gone.

Well it's Blu Ray. Good thing too, the greater storage capacity of the Blu Ray discs made them the better choice.

Really good deal at Comp USA.

HD-A3 HD-DVD player, plus 300 and Bourne Identity on HD-DVD plus the 5 free rebate all for 89.99 ot the HD-A30 for 119.99

https://www.compusa.com/application...p?EdpNo=3304908&sku=T24-9148&SRCCODE=COMEM011

Buy.com has the A3 deal for 99.99 with free shipping.

I ended up getting one to use as my regular DVD player since I hate to use the 360 or PS3 as DVD player unless its HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, but now I don't have to use the 360. It was basically the same price as a good up converting DVD player and you get free movies.

Back