Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017)

didn't happen with aliens or t2. . . or this film for that matter. But, worthy sequels all.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Agreed.

If anything, the unabashed, overbearing love for this film, turns me off it a little. It's great, but it's not the reinvention of cinema.

Still think the original is superior.

It's not unusual to see some excess exuberance over a movie when it first comes out. Drive being another example from Gossling. Logan was another recent one. My suspicion is this will die down significantly in 6 months or so, when folks are better able to put it in perspective.

Blade Runner 2049 definitely joins the ranks of T2, ALIENS, The Empire Strikes Back and Godfather Part II as a sequel that shockingly and impressively, surpasses the masterful original.

It's obviously debatable on whether any of those really did surpass the originals (and I agree with you on some of those but not all) but what we can all probably agree on is just how amazing it is that the unique qualities that made the original Blade Runner what it is were somehow, unbelievably, captured again and with masterful results.

There have been a few times in film history that we've gotten two films out of an IP that were arguably "masterpieces." Or if you prefer the broader and more forgiving term "classics" then we can probably say that Godfather I/II, SW/ESB, Mad Max/RW, ALIEN/ALIENS, and T1/T2 all qualify to varying degrees. And now we can add BR/BR 2049 to the list. However *only* BR/BR 2049 actually has the chance to *end* with only two films ever being made and both of them being masterpieces/classics. Ignoring perhaps the messiness of the original BR's multiple cuts this property just might be forever untainted by embarrassing sequels/prequels and spin-offs.

Regardless of which film you prefer either way you're making a damn fine choice. The same cannot be said for literally *any other film series.* That's pretty amazing.

I have to see 2049 again, but the reason I currently believe it surpasses the original (in a marginal way at least) is that we get a more relatable and dramatic main character. I sympathized with K and in turn with Replicants in general. In the original Deckard is simply a man on a mission for the better part of the movie. Roy and Rachel are the characters the audience ends up being able to connect with, but their screen time is minimal and the connection to Roy is mostly found at the very end. In 2049 K carries us through his journey throughout the film and gives us more time to get to know him (and in turn Replicants) and come to terms with his/their plight. The lengthier run time also helped drive home the existential themes that first film touches upon. So for me it's a little more than fresh exuberance.

Mad Max isn't a brilliant film. Fury Road is, along with Road Warrior. I do think 2049 will hold up, though.

I have to see 2049 again, but the reason I currently believe it surpasses the original (in a marginal way at least) is that we get a more relatable and dramatic main character. I sympathized with K and in turn with Replicants in general. In the original Deckard is simply a man on a mission for the better part of the movie. Roy and Rachel are the characters the audience ends up being able to connect with, but their screen time is minimal and the connection to Roy is mostly found at the very end. In 2049 K carries us through his journey throughout the film and gives us more time to get to know him (and in turn Replicants) and come to terms with his/their plight. The lengthier run time also helped drive home the existential themes that first film touches upon. So for me it's a little more than fresh exuberance.

I actually just typed a couple paragraphs as to why I also found the characters in BR 2049 more relatable which allowed me to be more engaged in the film from beginning to end but decided not to post them because I don't want that to be an excuse for anyone to bash this film in order to defend the original. So I won't get into very many specifics for now.

I'll just say that 2049 had several "tears in rain" moments for me and I absolutely cannot wait to see it again. It'll probably be this upcoming Tuesday.

Last edited:

The storyline I found most compelling was the AI character. Joi was just a human as the replicant characters. I think the one moment that hurt this film for me was there was a scene that was far too similar to the film "Her". Joi hiring the hooker is very close to a scene where ScarJo's computer AI hire's a sex-surrogate to consummate her relationship with Joaquin Pheonix.

I agree that the sex scene was instantly remiscisent of "Her" but what made it more compelling to me at least in retrospect was that it was between two AI's, one that had genuine memories and a borrowed body while the other had a real body but borrowed memories.

It's not unusual to see some excess exuberance over a movie when it first comes out. Drive being another example from Gossling. Logan was another recent one. My suspicion is this will die down significantly in 6 months or so, when folks are better able to put it in perspective.

Drive is still going strong

Blade Runner 2049 definitely joins the ranks of T2, ALIENS, The Empire Strikes Back and Godfather Part II as a sequel that shockingly and impressively, surpasses the masterful original.

Add the recent POTA trilogy to that list..

It's obviously debatable on whether any of those really did surpass the originals (and I agree with you on some of those but not all) but what we can all probably agree on is just how amazing it is that the unique qualities that made the original Blade Runner what it is were somehow, unbelievably, captured again and with masterful results.

There have been a few times in film history that we've gotten two films out of an IP that were arguably "masterpieces." Or if you prefer the broader and more forgiving term "classics" then we can probably say that Godfather I/II, SW/ESB, Mad Max/RW, ALIEN/ALIENS, and T1/T2 all qualify to varying degrees. And now we can add BR/BR 2049 to the list. However *only* BR/BR 2049 actually has the chance to *end* with only two films ever being made and both of them being masterpieces/classics. Ignoring perhaps the messiness of the original BR's multiple cuts this property just might be forever untainted by embarrassing sequels/prequels and spin-offs.

Regardless of which film you prefer either way you're making a damn fine choice. The same cannot be said for literally *any other film series.* That's pretty amazing.

Thanks for adding The Road Warrior to the superior sequel list. Slipped my mind last night when posting.

And yes, I hope Alcon stops with this film and allows the BR story to end this way.

Don't worry, Ridley will prolly release 6 versions so there will be one for everyone. One will say that K is not a replicant.

If Ridley had any say then I'd believe you.

And weren't BR 2049 and ALIEN Covenant supposed to reference each other in some way? Thank God that didn't happen, lol.

Finally seeing this tomorrow. Last IMAX screening as well before Thor replaces it.

Finally seeing this tomorrow. Last IMAX screening as well before Thor replaces it.
Enjoy...savor it like a johnnie walker blue...IMAX 2D was the way to go see this one

Enjoy...savor it like a johnnie walker blue...IMAX 2D was the way to go see this one

IMAX 2D, eh? Well I was planning on the 3D version as it's on at a more convenient time for me.

Were there fundamental differences between the two versions? To those that have seen both anyway.

I haven't seen the 3D version but the cinematography and visual effects were so beautiful I'd choose the maximum picture quality from 2D over the artificial depth of 3D. And apparently the depth in the 3D version isn't that great anyway.

I heard from a few friends the 3D was amazing too.

IMAX 2D, eh? Well I was planning on the 3D version as it's on at a more convenient time for me.

Were there fundamental differences between the two versions? To those that have seen both anyway.

I saw this twice in IMAX 2d, not saying 2d is best..I don't go to many IMAX films at all...but this one I had to....I don't go to 3d films at all anymore(I find it distracting somewhat) ...maybe its my age ;)

Back