Blade Runner 2099

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blade-runner-unicorn.jpg

Wonder which way they'll go on the ads...

From the man who brought you Moses and Robin Hood...

OR

From the man who brought you Alien and The Martian...

From the man who brought you G.I. Jane and Thelma and Louise….

The thing about Ridley Scott is when he's off, you can still see where the end product could have been brilliant.

There was an outstanding sci fi movie trapped somewhere inside Prometheus. The entire Fassbender/David arc was really interesting. There were strong production values, a talented cast, a big enough budget and Scott clearly had creative freedom. All his films have such refined polish to their look. But what was left in the end was a disjointed bizarre mess of a movie.

Raised By Wolves had some really fascinating themes. If you just went by the first 2-3 episodes, the potential was off the charts. Then it just went completely crazy. ( Please do not let Deckard turn into a tree....)

Here is where I believe Scott tends to go wrong, when he does go wrong ( because sometimes he goes very very right), he takes the most interesting premise and drowns it in too many characters, too many sideplots, too many different narratives.

A singular focus on Fassbender/David and Guy Pearce as Weyland as a dying man who wants to live forever in a cat and mouse game on a new planet could have been epic.

This is where Taylor Sheridan gets it right. I didn't find 1883 to be particularly Earth shattering, but it was simple plot, and it focused on mainly on a small set of characters.

Severance was an off the charts critical hit and the premise again is pretty constrained, but there's so much depth with just a tiny handful of interesting players.

I'll give it a chance, I just hope Scott keeps the story smaller than bigger.

Back