Big Chief Studios - New Licenses - Gladiator and Penny Dreadful!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate how companies announce licenses and then we don't hear a word for months on end. What is happening to these lines????

Waiting is part of the hobby. Unfortunately, some companies have longer waiting records than others. Big Chief, Sideshow and Pop Culture Shock currently lead the way. HT are known for it too, putting current blockbusters ahead of classic licenses.

I loved Penny Dreadful, but personally I wouldn't sink money into it at this point, either from a manufacturers, or a collectors, side of things. It was a very niche show even when it was on the air, and still fresh in people's minds, now that it is (sadly) dead and buried, it's hard to see much profit in pursuing it any further, particularly at a high end price point, and against so much high quality competing product out there. Some fandoms stay evergreen and hungry for new product, but I just can't see that in this case. I suspect that many (most?) of those who might have been tempted to collect such a line have already moved on at this point.

Still, Big Chief will do what they will do, whatever that turns out to be. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

From BCS Facebook page:

"PENNY DREADFUL UPDATE

Many of our customers are keen to know what has become of our line of Penny Dreadful 1:6 Scale Collectors Figures. Like so many fans it came as much of a surprise to us when season three came to somewhat of an abrupt end. Penny Dreadful was one of the most original and exciting shows on TV and so when it was announced that there would be no more seasons, we were forced to re-think our plans for our proposed products. With so many great TV shows to choose from, when one comes to an end so too does the rabid fandom that follows and surrounds it.

The design, development and manufacture of sixth scale figures in particular is an expensive undertaking for any company, even more so if the production run is reduced to a low volume. For a line to be viable there must be enough interest to even consider it a possibility. With the lack of any new seasons of Penny Dreadful, we were simply not convinced that there would be sufficient interest for us to proceed.

It was particularly frustrating for us as we had developed six stunning costumes for the main characters from the show, with more or less completed prototypes of the principle characters Vanessa Ives (Eva Green) and Ethan Chandler (Josh Hartnett).

We have discussed the situation with CBS who have kindly agreed to allow us to run a sign up for the first two figures. Should there prove to be sufficient interest from fans, then we can proceed to pre-order. Please note that we are looking for genuine interest from customers who would intend to pre-order. We would kindly ask those who only have a passing interest not to sign up when the page goes live. This will help us to determine whether or not we will proceed.

We thank you for your interest in Penny Dreadful and we truly hope that our figures will see their way into fans’ hands.

BCS"

Understandable decision, but even with the show now over I think there'd still be a lot of interest in a Vanessa figure, just with how awesome Eva Green was on the show. And I'm glad to hear they DO seem to be considering it.

They did the same thing with Mycroft Holmes - gauging interest first. The problem is, that might not be an accurate way to do it. I would imagine that only hardened fans are going to check the BCS news, their website and forums like this one regularly enough to notice and then put their name down on a "maybe" list.

They should charge a small, non-returnable deposit to gauge serious interest - something as little as $10, with deposits to be returned if they don't reach the target figure. Another idea might be to produce the head sculpts alone. They did 500 of one of the Dr Who's didn't they? Lots of Eva green fans around.

They should charge a small, non-returnable deposit to gauge serious interest - something as little as $10, with deposits to be returned if they don't reach the target figure. Another idea might be to produce the head sculpts alone. They did 500 of one of the Dr Who's didn't they? Lots of Eva green fans around.

You'd need them to produce her dress too, no way would we ever find a custom that looks close.

Back