Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios Acquires James Bond License

Sideshow had a press release that they would be making Blofeld, Largo and Goldfinger at one point (the old school trinity of Evil). Those never came to fruition and I was forced to make my own years later.

Actual produced figures of those key villains would be more than welcome.

I didn't want to say max Zorin because the film is generally panned, but he's a great villain in my book.

I love that film. Great song, great villain, great music from John Barry. Roger went out literally with a bang.

I didn't want to say max Zorin because the film is generally panned, but he's a great villain in my book.

I love that film. Great song, great villain, great music from John Barry. Roger went out literally with a bang.

I agree. The movie is mostly horrible -- the firetruck ladder bit for example -- but Walken was literally the last great Bond villain. And I agree about the song. The crazy "sink Silicon Valley" plot was the last of the great "maniacal industrialists" masterplots. And the showdown atop the Golden Gate was an excellent finale (OK, maybe not that great a fight but a picture perfect setting for a final fight, even if it felt lazy).

I would love to see the Bond girls get more attention. Honey Rider, Solitaire, Tracy, Vesper, etc.

Alec Trevelyan was the last great villain. Though Le Chiffre is awesome too.

I would love to see the Bond girls get more attention. Honey Rider, Solitaire, Tracy, Vesper, etc.

Fiona Volpe, Domino, XXX Anya...

Alec Trevelyan was the last great villain. Though Le Chiffre is awesome too.

Neither was flamboyant and grand enough for me, though I like Le Chiffre

There's been a few solid attempts at Eva Green.

The costs for high end 1/6 aren't going anywhere

Except that QMX, Star Ace, and Threezero are all proving that you can still produce a great quality figure at a relatively low cost.

Considering that BCS is still way down below all of those companies in figure quality, why are we being asked to pay more than a Hot Toys figure?
Over the course of the many many debates that have been had on this forum about this company, not a single person has been able to answer this question.

Except that QMX, Star Ace, and Threezero are all proving that you can still produce a great quality figure at a relatively low cost.

Considering that BCS is still way down below all of those companies in figure quality, why are we being asked to pay more than a Hot Toys figure?
Over the course of the many many debates that have been had on this forum about this company, not a single person has been able to answer this question.

We are not more expensive then Hot Toys. Hot Toys average price in the UK now are £210-£230 if your in the US you pay the ex VAT price which is. £149.99 for the 10th doctor for example.
As for Star Ace and Threezero which we are not still below in quaintly. They are Chinese companies meaning they get a better deal with manufacturing and can produce cheaper labour. QMX for example do great work yes. But all the recent releases have been figures that have already been developed either on these boards or by another customiser. Meaning the development cost are not as high because it's already been done. Their Spock and Kirk are great but the costumes are the most expensive items to make in 1:6 scale as they are all hand stitched together. Now compare how much clothing they have compared to a Doctor Figure/Sherlock etc it's very minimal.
Just 2 factors which will drive the cost down the first being a main reason.
If you go to the other James Bond thread you will see a rough breakdown on costs this is an example of how licensing and manufacturing work.

Last edited:

The only places I've seen trying to sell Hot Toys for those kinds of prices are Big Chief themselves. Their releases can always be found for far cheaper elsewhere than what you guys try to flog them for.

The prices are what we get them for most places that get them from the same places as our selves are the same price. We are not including eBay prices or one man bands who don't care about making £5 on a figure for a quick sell.

Big Chiefs expansion packs idea will work well with Bond.

I see hot toys for those prices (210-230) on every retailer website in the UK.

This thread is just a case of half the people posting not very nice things and the other half giving benefit of the doubt and waiting for the figures before passing judgment. I'm glad I'm in the right half.

Big chief, just let your figures do the talking. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Prices obviously vary from country to country based upon X rates etc.
When I buy a BCS Who figure in the UK(which is ultimately the best way for me and taking all postal costs out of the equation), they typically cost 20 pounds more than a basic Hot Toys figure costs me here. You can't compare BCS pricing on a HT figure, as they seem somewhat, inflated.
Anyways, prices are what prices are. If we want decent looking 007 figures, I believe that BCS can deliver. If you want Uber quality bodies, a few extra bucks gets you a HT True Type.
I ported my first 11 over after the shoulder disintegrated (only figure to do so) and he is visually no different. The figure of course feels more solid, and in hand gives a more quality feel than the original body.
I really can't see me porting any 007 figure over, but I would appreciate BCS building their figures on better bodies (QMX did it with their superb Trek figures).

Here's to the reveals, the pre-orders and ..... The waiting !!! Hahaha!!!

And we've seen that BCS figures improve with each release - we've seen the revamped paint jobs for figures that had already been approved. So it's encouraging that they continue to strive to improve. The costs for high end 1/6 aren't going anywhere, but most of us aren't in it for the money but because we're creating product that we ourselves would like to see.

So I think we need to see what they have coming before passing judgement.

That would be nice if it were true, but as someone who has actually bought every single 1/6 Doctor Who release, and has seen the first Sherlock set in person, I'd have to say that it's not. Inconsistency is the order of the day with Big Chief. For example the recent 10th Doctor release had one of the poorest, most lifeless paint jobs of any figure I've seen from them, or for that matter from any high end manufacturer since the infamous Sideshow Nathan Drake debacle. That was delayed for 'improvements to the paint' too.

And they have released a lot of flawed paint jobs over the years. And they were initially given a lot of leeway by many because they were new, and taken at their word each time they said the next release would be better, and not repeat the same mistakes. Now I'm someone who can usually live quite happily with most factory paint jobs, but Big Chief is the only company that I have ever felt not just a desire, but an actual need to have many of the heads repainted. I have three out for repaint right now, and two others that will also need work, three if I get the full release version of twelve's hair painted the right colour. At least five repaints out of eight full releases is not a good average in my book. I've also felt the need to replace items of clothing on several figures, and their stock bodies are infamous in how brittle and loose jointed they commonly are, and have been since day one.

This isn't a new company anymore, they have been releasing figures for more than half a decade now. The pattern as far as the inconsistency of their product releases, quality wise, in both tailoring, but especially paint, is pretty clear. And let me also make clear that it's not that they can't bring the quality, their First Doctor release was superb in both paint and tailoring, their second Eleventh Doctor release was very good too, even if a couple of the tailored pieces could have been a touch better. Other than my quibbles with the hair colour, and the terrible magnet clasp design on the jacket, the Twelfth Doctor was a good release, too. So they demonstrably have the ability to deliver the goods, they just haven't been consistent in doing so. And it is usually the paint that is the biggest worry. If they have finally got a handle on that, great, but I've heard that story before, too.

Truth is, I've given them the benefit of the doubt for years. My bank balance and shelves are both a testament to that fact. Hell, I still buy their products to this day in the ongoing hope that each one will be one of the better ones and will turn out as good as I know they are capable of delivering, and I long for the day that they will finally turn a corner and start delivering a reliable base level consistency with their products, so ordering from them can be done in confidence, rather than trepidation. And if they ever manage to do so I'll be the first to celebrate and laud them for it. But right now, at this point in time, years worth of experience with buying and owning their releases has taught me to keep my expectations on the lower end of the scale, and so any scepticism I do have I feel is well earned at this point, and isn't borne out of spite, but rather from honest personal experience, and because I genuinely want them to be better, and believe they can be.

If Big Chief wants to see that level of scepticism or even cynicism that many hold vanish, then all they have to do is start delivering the goods, quality wise, on a consistent basis. They charge high end prices, they need to deliver on the promise of high end product, and do so with each release if at all possible, or at the very least the majority of them. The ball, truly, is in their court. And I honestly do wish them the best with doing so. Because they have licenses I love, and talented artists who work on this stuff, and so I want to feel excited by ordering their stuff, and look forward to the reveals and eventual arrivals. But at this point, mostly, I just feel nervous about what I'm actually going to get. And making even loyal customers feel like that is surely indicative that, as of right now, they still have more than a few miles to go to get to where they need to be as a significant player in this particular hobby.

Collectibles direct are Pretty much the same price apart from the shipping. Plus it's a one man band company.

Last edited:

If you want to repaint the heads that's your choice heck I've seen Hot Toys repainted. But at the end of the day it's personal choice more people leave them how they are and are happy with them then reprinting them. As for the bodies they have been reworked from previously released figures, and the new paint jobs are using the same tech as Hot Toys only less tan. As for tailoring again it's your personal choice many again are more than happy with them.
We get told our tailoring is baggy but it's not baggy compared to some of Star Ace or threezero releases which we are below par apparently.

That would be nice if it were true, but as someone who has actually bought every single 1/6 Doctor Who release, and has seen the first Sherlock set in person, I'd have to say that it's not. Inconsistency is the order of the day with Big Chief. For example the recent 10th Doctor release had one of the poorest, most lifeless paint jobs of any figure I've seen from them, or for that matter from any high end manufacturer since the infamous Sideshow Nathan Drake debacle. That was delayed for 'improvements to the paint' too.

And they have released a lot of flawed paint jobs over the years. And they were initially given a lot of leeway by many because they were new, and taken at their word when they said the next release would be better, and not repeat the same mistakes. Now I'm someone who can usually live quite happily with most factory paint jobs, but Big Chief is the only company that I have ever felt not just a desire, but an actual need to have many of the heads repainted. I have three out for repaint right now, and two others that will also need work, three if I get the full release version of twelve's hair painted the right colour. At least five repaints out of eight full releases is not a good average in my book. I've also felt the need to replace items of clothing on several figures, and their stock bodies are infamous in how brittle and loose jointed they commonly are, and have been since day one.

This isn't a new company anymore, they have been releasing figures for more than half a decade now. The pattern as far as the inconsistency of their product releases, quality wise, in both tailoring, but especially paint, is pretty clear. And let me also make clear that it's not that they can't bring the quality, their First Doctor release was superb in both paint and tailoring, their second Eleventh Doctor release was very good too, even if a couple of the tailored pieces could have been a touch better. Other than my quibbles with the hair colour, and the terrible magnet clasp design on the jacket, the Twelfth Doctor was a good release, too. So they demonstrably have the ability to deliver the goods, they just haven't been consistent in doing so. And it is usually the paint that is the biggest worry.

I've given them the benefit of the doubt for years. My bank balance and shelves are both a testament to that fact. Hell, I still buy their products to this day in the hope that each one will be one of the better ones, and I long for the day that they will finally turn a corner and start delivering a reliable base level consistency with their products, so ordering from them can be done in confidence, rather than trepidation. And if they ever manage to do so I'll be the first to celebrate and laud them for it. But right now, at this point in time, years worth of experience with buying and owning their releases has taught me to keep my expectations on the lower end of the scale, and so any scepticism I do have I feel is well earned at this point.

If Big Chief wants to see that level of scepticism or even cynicism vanish, then all they have to do is start delivering the goods, quality wise, on a consistent basis. They charge high end prices, they need to deliver on the promise of high end product, and do so with each release if at all possible, or at the very least the majority of them. The ball, truly, is in their court.

Back