Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've yet to see a single picture of this suit that doesn't make Bond look like a huge slob. even the nicely futzed ones only get it so far. I really hope that they reconcile with the fact that they need to do a new body from scratch the next time they do a suited figure. They get away with it in wave two. this means that before Dr No Bond comes out they can make a new body and invest in inserting shoulder pads in their suits among other things.

Last edited:
I just received my Bond and Oddjob yesterday. They actually came Friday but i missed UPS and Sideshow did not give me Saturday delivery, so I had to drive to their access point Monday which was kind of lame. Anyway,....going back on this board to several of the posts. Wow.
Some of you have been naysaying anything and everything about this figure and the associated company as much as I have ever seen. Apparently, many of you ordered through BCS and had them shipped in Europe and I am guessing it's mostly you guys that have this "nose rub" issue.

I ordered from Sideshow and they packed them very tightly in the box to keep them from moving. I had absolutely no "nose rub" at all.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND these figures to any collector or movie fan. I probably have around 20 - 25 total 1/6 scale figures from the Tech Noir Terminator to the 89 Batman and Joker, Weller Robocop, Blitzway Venkman, etc. I did not expect what I found based on many of the comments here and many of the pictures. It seems some of you have slightly distorted images or are taking the pictures in weird, extreme lighting. I knew as soon as I could see Connery looking at me through the plastic, these were going to be good. These are better than good. These are fantastic!

I have Bond set up with Oddjob behind him slightly to the right. This set has immediately catapulted to the top 5 of my collection. The Connery sculpt is astounding and demonstrates great detail and color. All of my Hot Toys and yes, the Blitzway Venkman have much simpler paint apps and it shows to an extreme I did not notice before these Bond figures. To those of you "on the fence" and "unsure" because of the price point and some of the negative comments here, I implore you to RUN, not walk to pick these up (relative to the fact you are old enough to enjoy the nostalgia factor here). I truly feel this set (even though I only have 2) capture the essence and vibe of the time period and film. They also POP with authority and presence on the shelf.

Also, who's more OG than Oddjob?

I've yet to see a single picture of this suit that doesn't make Bond look like a huge slob. even the nicely futzed ones only get it so far. I really hope that they reconcile with the fact that they need to do a new body from scratch the next time they do a suited figure. They get away with it in wage two. this means that before Dr No Bond comes out they can make a new body and invest in inserting shoulder pads in their suits among other things.

I agree, the body is not great. But it is manageable and does not ruin the figure.

Also, my suit looks MUCH better in hand than many of the pics I see here.

Thanks!

I'm tempted to secure the shirt lapels, but I've had bad experiences with doing that in the past - aka, not much more tie/neck fuzing possible at that point. Please post pics when you're done!

I do have a plan for the shirt lapels, will share after futz round 2. Again, congrats. BTW, are you into the new BCS Moore? I think it looks pretty good, can always replace the belt...

You are really trippin bro

No... I'm not.

But it seems like you have a more limited collection of figures. And from what I read you don't have many suited figures, or at least listed ones... so your standard may be lower than most. Which is perfectly fine and to each to their own.

But I hold a higher standard to my figures that even if on the unreasonable level, the point is that standard is out there and I expect anything I put in my collection to be of the same standard. I'm not talking about a custom 500 dollar plus standard. But at the very least the standard that knock off companies like pop toys does with their suits or eleven does with their sculpts.

The aforementioned Blitzway venkman is a flawed paint and sculpt and I would edge iniguo's sculpt over it but the paint job on this production Bond figure is incredibly flawed. its not that those you mentioned have simpler paint jobs... they are subtler, more refined... not just an aggressive spatter of texturing... the eyes are cleaner... they have layers in the crevices of the eyes/ nose, the chin and neck... they don't have sloppy eyebrows or iris..

What came out... it does not match Gregg's prototype paint at all. It shows a flaw in production.

This is not to discredit the vast improvement they made... and hope they can push to improve in the future. But the bar has not been met.

He looks great, Capn. Love the gray buttons too.

Thanks! Looks like it needs a couple touchups after seeing it blown up like that, which I'll get to eventually. In person, it looks fine though.

Apparently, many of you ordered through BCS and had them shipped in Europe and I am guessing it's mostly you guys that have this "nose rub" issue.

I ordered from Sideshow and they packed them very tightly in the box to keep them from moving. I had absolutely no "nose rub" at all.

FYI, I ordered from Sideshow and I had nose rub. He had a plastic wrap around his head, but it did nothing. Might be a figure to figure thing, but it's definitely hitting the US/Sideshow batch too. Don't want to be rude, because I don't think you meant it that way, but it's definitely a widespread problem. Didn't impact me too much personally, since I'm capable of fixing it, but they do need to rethink their packaging. There's no way around that.

I do have a plan for the shirt lapels, will share after futz round 2. Again, congrats. BTW, are you into the new BCS Moore? I think it looks pretty good, can always replace the belt...

I am! I think he looks great, and I'm looking forward to him. Hopefully in the meantime they can resolve some of the issues with that base body and the nose rubs/packaging to help with all the complaints.

This is not to discredit the vast improvement they made... and hope they can push to improve in the future. But the bar has not been met.

This is valid. Big Chief obviously put their all into this one, and I have to give them respect for it. It's just not quite there yet. Maybe the real mistake here was going for the Goldfinger three-piece as their first Bond release. We all know at this point that suits can be hard to pull off well. Perhaps doing LALD first as a test run of the other pieces (paint, packaging, etc) would've helped. But I give credit where it is due, and I respect what they're trying to do.

Also - I still think (aside from the buttons) that the suit is tailored pretty well - it's the body that's letting it down, not the suit. You don't think so?

Last edited:
facemaker - very happy to hear such enthusiasm for these figures. It's refreshing.

Thanks! Looks like it needs a couple touchups after seeing it blown up like that, which I'll get to eventually. In person, it looks fine though.

Those macro shots have that problem. :lol I almost hate to take close-up pictures because I start to see things that didn't originally bug me.

First off, thanks to Wor-Gar and pjam for their advice. I didn't end up using that iron...though it can get pretty hot, since Wor-Gar mentioned the synthetic setting, I pulled out the ol' handheld iron, and it worked like a charm in about 30 seconds. Thank you!

jiminy - thanks for your follow up :) Different painters will, of course, tell you different things. The key to fixing the nose rub for me was to match the color, which is of course always a hard trick and requires a good eye. I used a mix of acrylics to do it. I prefer to use Games Workshop paints personally - they blend well and hold their color, and you can water them down. For this one, I used a mix of Mournfang Brown, Abbaddon Black, Ratskin Flesh, and Kislev Flesh. Basically, it's a fairly standard brown and black, along with a standard fleshtone. That leaves the Ratskin, which is like an orangey-skintone. Think George Hamilton. I don't use it often, but it definitely helped me match it this time. I can't tell you the measurements, because I basically kept mixing it until I got a color I liked.

Then I used a very tiny - size 00 - brush, and applied it sparingly in the rub area. The nice thing about these paints is that if you glop it on, you don't need a second coat, but if you go thinly, it becomes almost seethru. The only other trick is to make sure to blend it around the area so there's no hard edges.

It's not HARD, but it takes some patience and a few tries to get the color right. It took me about an hour, but I've done this a bunch of times - expect it to take a bit longer. And if you mess up, no worries - as long as the paint hasn't fully dried, you can just wipe it off.

For the hair, it's about the same. Try to match the existing paint as best as possible, give it a good coat, and blend it at the edges (that way, you don't have to worry about that fine detail right at the hairline, you can just let Big Chief's painters take care of that). I'd recommend then adding a tiny bit of a lighter color to your mixture (probably brown, I'd imagine), and drybrush the whole thing. Drybrushing is basically a technique where you take an older, bigger brush, and dip it in the paint, then you brush most of it off on something else so there's just a tiny bit of paint left on it. If you've ever used a roller, think about when you need to put it back in the paint and you get only like a half a coat? It's like that. Then you liberally brush the hair. What it does is just catch the highest points, and not the lower ones, so it ends up highlighting it.

Hope that helps, I'm not very good at explaining things :)

Ok, here's the pics I promised. Freshly ironed lapel, thigh "wideners", fixed nose, futzed, and repainted buttons. I'm happy with it:

View attachment 390458

View attachment 390459

And with my other Bonds:
View attachment 390460

The shirt looks awful and the eyes do too...they aren't showing much improvement.

Those macro shots have that problem. :lol I almost hate to take close-up pictures because I start to see things that didn't originally bug me.

Definitely!

I'm considering cutting up some cardboard shoulderpads (or maybe sculpting them out of green stuff) and putting them in the shoulders to puff them up a bit. Anyone tried it?

I've yet to see a single picture of this suit that doesn't make Bond look like a huge slob. even the nicely futzed ones only get it so far. I really hope that they reconcile with the fact that they need to do a new body from scratch the next time they do a suited figure. They get away with it in wave two. this means that before Dr No Bond comes out they can make a new body and invest in inserting shoulder pads in their suits among other things.

I totally agree with you- the body is crap- getting right to the point- the choice of fabric and construction of the suit is subpar. The sculpt's eyes are poor- but hey who are we to want better? Put this $250+ figure next to say HT's Armory Bruce Wayne. The BW is superbly sculpted and painted and the clothes aren't rustled on hanging they fit great and the body fits the suit. Tailoring is terrific. The BW was one of THREE figures plus the Armory for a total of 600 retail. Do the math the BW wasn't a very expensive figure price-wise.
My point is you should not have to work on making a figure of this cost look good. I am buying all three but only because this is the best GF figures we are going to get but I'm upset about what you get for the price. I do not see BCS getting better bodies and paint aps for the next few figures either.

I'm considering cutting up some cardboard shoulderpads.... Anyone tried it?

I did. On Goldfinger. Helps a bit to keep the shape from sagging on his purposely slouched shoulders. I didn't feel it was necessary on Bond because raising the body's shoulders helps hold the jacket's shoulders in place. But it certainly couldn't hurt though.

I used very flexible "cardboard" -- more like card stock. I didn't want too-thick cardboard that bends with creases. Also, cardboard will absorb water if you water treat the jacket and will become soft.

I completely agree that the value is NOT here. I said as much in my original review post. There's a lot of nice stuff in the package, but if they skimp on important things like the buttons on the suit, it's not gonna work.

Maybe I just haven't bought a new 1:6 suit (aside from a yunsil, which isn't a fair comparison) in a long time, but I still really think the suit isn't as bad as everyone's saying, it's just tailored to a bad body. You can cover poo in gold, but it's still poo. But that's just my opinion.

It's a bit unfair to compare it to the armory that came out 3+ years ago, though. The suit quality, sure, but not the price. Prices have skyrocketed since then.

I did. On Goldfinger. Helps a bit to keep the shape from sagging on his purposely slouched shoulders. I didn't feel it was necessary on Bond because raising the body's shoulders helps hold the jacket's shoulders in place. But it certainly couldn't hurt though.

I used very flexible "cardboard" -- more like card stock. I didn't want too-thick cardboard that bends with creases. Also, cardboard will absorb water if you water treat the jacket and will become soft.

Got it. I'll try it out and see if it helps at all. Thanks!

I totally agree with you- the body is crap- getting right to the point- the choice of fabric and construction of the suit is subpar. The sculpt's eyes are poor- but hey who are we to want better? Put this $250+ figure next to say HT's Armory Bruce Wayne. The BW is superbly sculpted and painted and the clothes aren't rustled on hanging they fit great and the body fits the suit. Tailoring is terrific. The BW was one of THREE figures plus the Armory for a total of 600 retail. Do the math the BW wasn't a very expensive figure price-wise.
My point is you should not have to work on making a figure of this cost look good. I am buying all three but only because this is the best GF figures we are going to get but I'm upset about what you get for the price. I do not see BCS getting better bodies and paint aps for the next few figures either.

I'm so eager to hear your review once you actually have these in hand.

No... I'm not.

But it seems like you have a more limited collection of figures. And from what I read you don't have many suited figures, or at least listed ones... so your standard may be lower than most. Which is perfectly fine and to each to their own.

But I hold a higher standard to my figures that even if on the unreasonable level, the point is that standard is out there and I expect anything I put in my collection to be of the same standard. I'm not talking about a custom 500 dollar plus standard. But at the very least the standard that knock off companies like pop toys does with their suits or eleven does with their sculpts.

The aforementioned Blitzway venkman is a flawed paint and sculpt and I would edge iniguo's sculpt over it but the paint job on this production Bond figure is incredibly flawed. its not that those you mentioned have simpler paint jobs... they are subtler, more refined... not just an aggressive spatter of texturing... the eyes are cleaner... they have layers in the crevices of the eyes/ nose, the chin and neck... they don't have sloppy eyebrows or iris..

What came out... it does not match Gregg's prototype paint at all. It shows a flaw in production.

I respect that you have some crazy in the 100's collection man. But I am not sure I need that to appreciate quality. I am one of many who jumped in and started buying around 2010, when Hot Toys started going crazy with 80's stuff and at the same time made a visible leap in quality. It was reaching that point of visual quality that attracted many new buyers as previously, these were just expensive dolls and having more than one or 2 could seem weird to some.

Now, the sculpting and tailoring is to the point where these 'figures' serve as little wax museum film (entertainment) pieces. Did I have to mess around with Oddjobs tie for a minute? Yes. Was it annoying? Yes. Did i get it perfect? No.....but once I stopped thinking perfect and adjusted it and put him on the shelf, I can see nothing wrong and he looks great. Bonds suit (on mine) does not puff up on the shoulders like some pics show here. I suppose one could split hairs on his suit vs some other suited figure they have,....but I think the suit looks good (if you are curious, my only other suited figure is Enterbay War Version Scarface).

One little caveat,.....
Being from Lexington, Ky these figures could make a great display at a Bar with both holding their Mint Julep glasses.

I'm so eager to hear your review once you actually have these in hand.

So will I .................lol
I'm just bothered by them and know I'm not getting my money's worth but I will be very honest if BBTS ever gets these in!

Something nobody is mentioning, so I will.......
I feel I got my money's worth for the total package. However, the total package includes something that is unnecessary and poorly thought out and executed.

The Stand they come with. I don't know what Optibottom is trying to defend here. These stands are not designed well and the added cost was not needed.

I like the silver base and the round platform fine enough, even though it takes up more space. What is ridiculous are the name plates and the light up feature.

This stand is full on made in china and the light up feature is dicey and a waste of time (sometimes you touch it and it will not go off or come on until you pick it up). The nameplates are cheap and undermine the class of the package. The name plates should have been done in a thin silver on the front of the black part of the stand. Having the plate on, looks cheap and blocks the feet and accessories of the figure.

I removed the batteries and the plates and will not look back. Point is, Big Chief could have saved us $25.00 at least by not doing something so pointless and useless.

I'm guessing the light-up feature is a nice add-on that they can list as a feature but isn't THAT much of a cost addition. You'd be surprised. That being said, I'd be fine with dumping all light-up stands myself. They sound fun, but are so impractical in actual usage.

They don't come with batteries. They're just triple A's though. Probably have a bunch lying around to replace the ones in the TV remotes lol.

I LIKE the light up feature, with the caveat that I wish it had a USB power option so that you could leave it on full-time. That'd be pretty cool. As it is, I won't leave it on too often. The side touch option is a nice feature, but I agree it isn't as easy to use as I thought it would be. I wouldn't say they're not designed well though? I for one don't mind not seeing the shoes, but I understand why you'd want to. And I guess the idea of just the silver circle all the way around with a nice nameplate on the bottom front would be nice too. No less expensive to produce, I'd bet, but nice.

I think it makes the whole package feel more valuable, but if you dumped it and put that money into painting the buttons on the suit I'd have been all for it.

For me, the thing that's poorly thought out and executed is the packaging that can't keep the nose rubs from happening lol. And of course the body.

Back