Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my review of Bond is up on Exclucollective.com (https://bit.ly/2CzzidB). This is sure not to cause any backlash or controversy :rolleyes: .

I respect a lot of the opinions here, but my experience has been a lot more positive. I have had to do some work to the suit (and I'm not done) and there are things, like the plastic snaps, short shirt collar and shoulder-fit issues that I wish had been done differently, but I was not expecting Yunsil-level clothing. And for $250 I don't think it's justifiable to expect that level. I also approach these reviews with an audience who is not necessarily familiar with customs (or their expense) in mind.

$250 is not cheap, but my thinking is this; most companies markup at around 50% over cost. Meaning that all of this would need to be not only produced but designed, managed, refined over a period of months which also has to be factored into costs for $125. They need to get a body produced, a sculpt painted (and pay off the initial sculpt fees), a suit hand-produced, hands and accessories made, licence fees paid, box designed and constructed, built, packed and shipped to themselves and distributors all while working out of the UK, not Hong Kong or China. Hot Toys has many advantages including negotiating power and sheer quantity of items produced, that smaller companies don't have.

I'm guessing Yunsil has a basement for pricing and I suspect it's not under (or much under) $100/unit even in large quantities or it's not going to be cost-effective. Taking a guess, I'm thinking this suit needs to cost about $40 or less to allow for the rest of the costs and keep things in the $125/unit range (which also includes overhead, salaries, development, licensing fees,etc.). Even if you push the markup down to 35-40% it doesn't give much more room here.

I missed out on Yunsil's outfit, but anyone going that route - even if there were enough people to make it come in at the $250 level (I suspect it was more), you're looking at $600+ with a painted sculpt, body, and some accessories. A higher quality yes, but at over double the price.

Karate-chop-in-cell-1800.jpg

My main issue is that I was not expecting a yunsil level suit obviously. But I was expecting a suit at the level of like a Toys City which go for 50 bucks.

Or a Hot Toys suit which in my opinion are not so great themselves and still cost lest than 250 for a figure all in.

What we got is in my opinion a step above the old sideshow suits (bond only) and to me that’s inexcusable

Nice, but the suit definitely has some issues regarding fit / overall look. £230 is just too much. GF and OJ look spot on though. I think i will stick to my cheap as chips custom, KO head, Vortoys suit, generic shoes and Walther PP, (I know it's the wrong pistol), case is from the sideshow Q figure. It's not accurate, but i think it still has the better overall look.

sean1.jpg

sean2.jpg

sean3.jpg

sean4.jpg

is there a suitable replacement for the vest snaps so it doesn't stick out so much? I thought I read somewhere on here about some fabric tape or something to that effect?

Also, did anyone receive the free gifts that BCS talked about with their bond figures?

Oh yeah! No free gifts whatsoever. What the hell was that nonsense all about?

Accuracy to Goldfinger aside that custom suit above is exactly what I’m talking about. If a knock off thing like that can look 50 times better than the licensed big chief product this product can and should not receive s pass from anyone. It’s just not acceptable and it doesn’t warrant excuses made for them.

For the vest my recommendation is inserting ultra thin magnets into the lining. Or gluing on a thin Velcro strip

Yeah, there are some nice suits from Toys city and POP Toys too, but I believe they're also the manufacturers. So not much markup except their profit and maybe a distributor cut. If they're getting 40% that's still a $30 or so cost of production. It's a possibility I guess, but you never know what factors; availability, turn-around time, etc. that go into selecting a producer.

My main issue is that I was not expecting a yunsil level suit obviously. But I was expecting a suit at the level of like a Toys City which go for 50 bucks.

Or a Hot Toys suit which in my opinion are not so great themselves and still cost lest than 250 for a figure all in.

What we got is in my opinion a step above the old sideshow suits (bond only) and to me that’s inexcusable

Thanks, Wor-Gar. I dremeled down the shoulders as you suggested too BTW. Seemed to give me a slight bit more room to pull the suit around and square off the shoulders a little. Still needs some padding in the shoulders, but I'm contemplating whether to do that to the jacket or pad up the shoulders of the body. It has to look natural if I do it that way so I can shoot him without the jacket.

Very nice review, Trevor.

Looking forward to the villains reviews.

Accuracy to Goldfinger aside that custom suit above is exactly what I’m talking about. If a knock off thing like that can look 50 times better than the licensed big chief product this product can and should not receive s pass from anyone. It’s just not acceptable and it doesn’t warrant excuses made for them.

For the vest my recommendation is inserting ultra thin magnets into the lining. Or gluing on a thin Velcro strip

Hi Ray, Don’t think for a second I’m knocking or having a go at this custom quote the opposite, but saying it’s 50 times better than the one that comes with the figure is a personal opinion and I personally would think it’s a little to unfair but that just my opinion. I wouldn’t say it’s 50 times better and if I wasn’t part of BIG Chief I certainly I would still be saying the same. They are both totally different cuts of suit for a start. But looking at the details like the lapels cuffs and pockets there really is not much in it again putting aside who I work for which I know is difficult I would still be saying the same thing.

Also what free gift are you on about? Can you share this information and I’ll look into it. Again thanks for all the comments and I certainly not having a go.

I scoured the previous pages for a comparable pic of in-hand images. On the left, £230 BC, on the right, my £80 custom. I've read the arguments from both sides, but money talks louder than either one.

sean5.jpg

It's not 50 times better, but it is a third of the price.

Of course if it comes down to the price and you are happy with what you have that’s understandable and no one should knock you for that.

I scoured the previous pages for a comparable pic of in-hand images. On the left, £230 BC, on the right, my £80 custom. I've read the arguments from both sides, but money talks louder than either one.

View attachment 385247

So, my review of Bond is up on Exclucollective.com (https://bit.ly/2CzzidB). This is sure not to cause any backlash or controversy :rolleyes: .

I respect a lot of the opinions here, but my experience has been a lot more positive. I have had to do some work to the suit (and I'm not done) and there are things, like the plastic snaps, short shirt collar and shoulder-fit issues that I wish had been done differently, but I was not expecting Yunsil-level clothing. And for $250 I don't think it's justifiable to expect that level. I also approach these reviews with an audience who is not necessarily familiar with customs (or their expense) in mind.

$250 is not cheap, but my thinking is this; most companies markup at around 50% over cost. Meaning that all of this would need to be not only produced but designed, managed, refined over a period of months which also has to be factored into costs for $125. They need to get a body produced, a sculpt painted (and pay off the initial sculpt fees), a suit hand-produced, hands and accessories made, licence fees paid, box designed and constructed, built, packed and shipped to themselves and distributors all while working out of the UK, not Hong Kong or China. Hot Toys has many advantages including negotiating power and sheer quantity of items produced, that smaller companies don't have.

I'm guessing Yunsil has a basement for pricing and I suspect it's not under (or much under) $100/unit even in large quantities or it's not going to be cost-effective. Taking a guess, I'm thinking this suit needs to cost about $40 or less to allow for the rest of the costs and keep things in the $125/unit range (which also includes overhead, salaries, development, licensing fees,etc.). Even if you push the markup down to 35-40% it doesn't give much more room here.

I missed out on Yunsil's outfit, but anyone going that route - even if there were enough people to make it come in at the $250 level (I suspect it was more), you're looking at $600+ with a painted sculpt, body, and some accessories. A higher quality yes, but at over double the price.

View attachment 385228

All good points Comatoast (and a great review). But the price hike is inexcusable. £230 puts this figure well north of $300 in the UK, and I don't believe it can be blamed wholly on factors beyond the company's control.

I didn't take it that way, it's all good. :)

I think Goldfinger and Odd Job both came out really well, but Bond doesn't quite cut it for me.

Sadly it’s the way it is I’m afraid someone posted earlier in this thread has shared the reasons for the price hike which is something we have little control over sadly.

I take it you mean $300 in the US and not the U.K.? If you meant US that’s not correct the US pay the Ex VAT price which is £191 which comes in under $260. Hope that helps?

All good points Comatoast (and a great review). But the price hike is inexcusable. £230 puts this figure well north of $300 in the UK, and I don't believe it can be blamed wholly on factors beyond the company's control.

Last edited:

View attachment 385247

I'd say the custom looks better. I've owned that head and the main problem with it is that it's too small. However, it is a better sculpt and I seem to remember that the knock off has a good paint job. I don't have the BCS but going by photos the paint job on the BCS doesn't look as good - however, big, big caveat here that photos don't tell the whole story, the BCS might be much better. What I can say is that in comparison shots the KO seems more alive and less cartoony. As for the suit the cheap one doesn't come from any particular movie so scores zero for accuracy and the lapels are too wide. On the other hand it's better cut, sharper, fits better (than the BCS suit that was tailored for a particular body) hangs better and generally is better. Again I would say you have to be cautious about the material - the grey material was chosen to match s specific suit and therefore might be inferior material. It would be unfair to criticise the BCS suit in a side by side comparison because the choice of suit material was very narrow for them.

Bottom line, I'd rather own the custom in a similar suit (but not brown!). I also think the narrow leg looks good, very early sixties. What suit is it, Marine?

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought the free gifts were for the Doctor Who figures that were delayed, not the Bond figures?

Sadly it’s not inexcusable I’m afraid someone posted earlier in this thread has shared the reasons for the price hike which is something we have little control over sadly.

I take it you mean $300 in the US and not the U.K.? If you meant US that’s not correct the US pay the Ex VAT price which is £191 which comes in under $260. Hope that helps?

I'm really sorry, and I don't wish to be disrespectful, but I'm afraid I don't believe the price hike is solely down to external factors. It looks a bit desperate to me.

Hi Jon you are correct, I just checked the email again and there was no mention about a free gift for the Bond figures as these were not heavily delayed compared with the Doctor Who figures. The free gifts are stated for each figure and there is nothing for James Bond.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought the free gifts were for the Doctor Who figures that were delayed, not the Bond figures?

Back