Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

Man. I never realized that the RC Davros was so big.

Cool pic.

Matrix69, those Davros figures look great, but those incredible custom scarves have me dying of jealousy!

Pity there's not more 1/6 classic characters/monsters available....or in the works (i'm guessing we won't see the Pertwee figure for at least a few years)....so there's a huge void for classic who:(
I've been re-watching lots of Tom's tenure over the past few month's...and there's so many fantastic creations that would look great in 1/6...
I'm in the progress of making a custom mummy from Pyramids of mars....so hope to share some work soon...

With no "new who" for the foreseeable future....and after getting these fantastic Davros kits from Mooncrest...my passion for all things from the classic series has been reinvigorated :)
View attachment 406718View attachment 406719View attachment 406720

I'm pretty new to making figures out of spares and bits you find online, but after putting together a green coat Stetson Matt Smith I thought I'd give my all time favourite Doctor a try. Here is my first draft of 'The Deadly Assassin' Tom Baker. I'll put more work into it as time goes by - the chest is a bit big, and I could always bleach the shirt and improve the belt and trousers. I'll keep an eye out and upgrade him when I can. I might have to invest in the Big Chief body they sell now! I'd just bought a few random bodies from Toy Anxiety a couple of weeks before BCS put those up for sale ...

Anyway, I went 'Deadly Assassin' for two reasons: A, it's one of the cheapest and easiest Baker outfits you can do, and B, 'The Deadly Assassin' is one of the best Doctor Who stories ever made.

You guys who are better at this than me might be inspired now, and that's my hope. I'll tell you what I tried. Keep what you like, change what you don't:

- Jonah Hex boots from Toy Anxiety
- Red mock Levis from an Etsy company 'The Vogue HK' (the belt covers up the jeans-y tag and the stud, but you still have orange threads showing through ... does in a pinch, though)
- Whatever cowboy belt I could find that fits ... I like the buckle on mine but the belt itself is terrible and I will want to swap it out at some point
- And a Jack Sparrow shirt. That can be the hard bit to find, but they just released a new Jack Sparrow and I managed to find a shirt for a very reasonable price. I sewed some thread through the lower V-neck, to match Tom's look better. You see it with in some pics and without in others. I might need to replace the thread with something thicker so it looks more screen accurate. Tom's shirt in the story is very white, but that could also be the studio lights. Anyway, mine, yet to bleached, looks a bit more like Tom drenched in dirty lake water, sans rips and damage :p

If you can find a spare head, but you can't afford a Gee Whizz custom suit from scratch at the moment, this look might be a good option. Add a scarf from Yulia and he'd be pretty sweet-looking in general (and he'd be ready to hang off a quarry cliff). And if you have a samurai, or a clown, or a hunter in khakis, you've got yourself some classic scene recreation possibilities. I'll have to try some 'roaming the wilds of the Matrix' pics later, once I am happier with him.

011a.jpg

016a.jpg

038a.jpg

027.jpg

025.jpg

044a.jpg

046.jpg

003a.jpg

004a.jpg

I'm pretty new to making figures out of spares and bits you find online, but after putting together a green coat Stetson Matt Smith I thought I'd give my all time favourite Doctor a try. Here is my first draft of 'The Deadly Assassin' Tom Baker. I'll put more work into it as time goes by - the chest is a bit big, and I could always bleach the shirt and improve the belt and trousers. I'll keep an eye out and upgrade him when I can. I might have to invest in the Big Chief body they sell now! I'd just bought a few random bodies from Toy Anxiety a couple of weeks before BCS put those up for sale ...

Anyway, I went 'Deadly Assassin' for two reasons: A, it's one of the cheapest and easiest Baker outfits you can do, and B, 'The Deadly Assassin' is one of the best Doctor Who stories ever made.

You guys who are better at this than me might be inspired now, and that's my hope. I'll tell you what I tried. Keep what you like, change what you don't:

- Jonah Hex boots from Toy Anxiety
- Red mock Levis from an Etsy company 'The Vogue HK' (the belt covers up the jeans-y tag and the stud, but you still have orange threads showing through ... does in a pinch, though)
- Whatever cowboy belt I could find that fits ... I like the buckle on mine but the belt itself is terrible and I will want to swap it out at some point
- And a Jack Sparrow shirt. That can be the hard bit to find, but they just released a new Jack Sparrow and I managed to find a shirt for a very reasonable price. I sewed some thread through the lower V-neck, to match Tom's look better. You see it with in some pics and without in others. I might need to replace the thread with something thicker so it looks more screen accurate. Tom's shirt in the story is very white, but that could also be the studio lights. Anyway, mine, yet to bleached, looks a bit more like Tom drenched in dirty lake water, sans rips and damage :p

If you can find a spare head, but you can't afford a Gee Whizz custom suit from scratch at the moment, this look might be a good option. Add a scarf from Yulia and he'd be pretty sweet-looking in general (and he'd be ready to hang off a quarry cliff). And if you have a samurai, or a clown, or a hunter in khakis, you've got yourself some classic scene recreation possibilities. I'll have to try some 'roaming the wilds of the Matrix' pics later, once I am happier with him.

011a.jpg

016a.jpg

038a.jpg

027.jpg

025.jpg

044a.jpg

046.jpg

003a.jpg

004a.jpg

The Deadly Assassin is my favorite as well. I think I will steal your idea.

Back