Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had another look at them and I'm sort of leaning towards just getting the Capaldi figure now as he's my favourite...will definitely be displaying him with the serious sculpt! Not really feeling any great need to upgrade on the others tbh, so may as well save my money for (hopefully) the rest of the classic doctors.

Jesus Christ what are these prices? I'm only considering Capaldi but come on, ~300 quid minus shipping? This is just insane. This hobby gets more expensive by the day. I might just end up skipping 9. It's just that my mum loves DW (even though she's seen like 5 episodes in total, Tennant era) and pesters me about gathering all the Doctors, even from the Pre-Revival Era. I can barely keep up with the ones I actually want... I'll probably end up getting just Capaldi, but BCS is becoming increasingly expensive and I don't see why. They could've at least tried to add a Signature or something.

PS: They do look too cartoony, I'll agree. Tennant especially. Eccleston looks too realistic in a way as well.

That cartoony comment is just how I described them to a mate.
Capaldi is the best of the bunch with David looking the most cartoony, but his outfit looks awesome.
Is it worth spending £1000 to upgrade? I don’t know.
I like all my original figures just fine.

If I had none of the originals, I would be jumping on this set.

Jesus Christ what are these prices? I'm only considering Capaldi but come on, ~300 quid minus shipping? This is just insane. This hobby gets more expensive by the day. I might just end up skipping 9. It's just that my mum loves DW (even though she's seen like 5 episodes in total, Tennant era) and pesters me about gathering all the Doctors, even from the Pre-Revival Era. I can barely keep up with the ones I actually want... I'll probably end up getting just Capaldi, but BCS is becoming increasingly expensive and I don't see why. They could've at least tried to add a Signature or something.

PS: They do look too cartoony, I'll agree. Tennant especially. Eccleston looks too realistic in a way as well.

There is the Zavvi rereleases of the 9-12 that are much cheaper than these new ones.

Yeah if I didn't already have them I'd definitely go for the Zavvi figures instead, as it looks like they're all still available. And there's a good chance they'll come with better paint apps than the originals did.

There is the Zavvi rereleases of the 9-12 that are much cheaper than these new ones.
I like the new 12 better. I already have the first 10, original 11 and 7b 11, and while I like 9 enough, I'm in no hurry to get him. 8, War & 9 are "maybes" when I'm done collecting everything else I really want. So it comes down to 12, and I prefer the latter look to his earlier one, so it's this version that I want.

That cartoony comment is just how I described them to a mate.
Capaldi is the best of the bunch with David looking the most cartoony, but his outfit looks awesome.
Is it worth spending £1000 to upgrade? I don’t know.
I like all my original figures just fine.

If I had none of the originals, I would be jumping on this set.
I'd say a resounding "no". BCS already charged too much, if people buy this en masse we'll be seeing them get the Taboo license and asking 400 quid for a Tom Hardy in a top hat. If someone's a DW uber-fan and absolutely needs these, a one-off buy even though they don't buy many 1/6th stuff, I kinda get it. But as upgrades? Of the whole set? Come on, that's just plain silly. They already look weird and cartoony with non-mass-produced paint applications and they don't even have any signatures. Yeah, the suits are much more form fitting this time around, but is that really worth 300 quid? My 10 is a bit frumpy, but he's got his signature and I'm fine with it. 7b 11 has better tailoring and that's my favourite look of his anyhow. I'll be biting the bullet for a 12, as I don't have him and I need him, but in no way do I think they are actually worth the money.

It comes down to how much a diehard Whofan one is, and if there's literally anything else they'd rather get. But unless I had millions in the bank and nothing to spend them on, no other figures I wanted, no new car, whatever, only then I'd give 1K pounds for upgraded dollies. Hot Toys is already charging 500$ for a Carnage. By the time the F4 & X-Men roll around we'll be paying 300$ for a basic figure, 500$ for the Iron Men, and 600$ for a Thanos type, while BCS will be charging 400 pounds for guys in suits.

Oof. I was really looking forward to these when I saw the in progress pictures, but these turned out really rough. 10 and 12's headsculpts are way too small and weirdly proportioned. I have a feeling this was to accommodate the PERS system. 9 looks like he is wearing heavy makeup. 11 just looks off. And the clothing on 10 and 11 looks far to baggy. They should have gone witha slim body and clothing especially for Tennant. I really hope that these are given some heavy revision.

The definitive collection go up for sale tomorrow?

Does anybody know why they changed the payment plan from 18-months to 6-months? They're pricing a considerable number of people out of these by doing that?!

They seem to be ignoring that question on all their social media.

No idea. It’s crazy they are not offering a longer payment plan on the set. I wonder when they’ll release…can’t see it being that quick a turnaround to warrant a 6-month payment plan. I’ll just get Capaldi I think…although I am seriously considering getting the new Smith too…can’t decide :panic:…decisions, decisions…:gah:

I've given up trying to make any sense of their business decisions, it's a shame how these turned out after the superb sculpt and outfit on the 3rd Doc.

My partner said I should just boycott them, if only because of the way they treat customers on Facebook- but they're the only ones offering this property and it's so niche, I can't imagine anyone else ever picking up the licence.

I really wish they would just focus on getting the Doctors out before they go bust!

Do they really think they’ll have these out within the year? Their TOMMEH was supposed to be out by now and obviously he’s not in-stock. Regardless, I’m in it only for Capaldi. But for that much money they should’ve been offering Signatures.

Well that’s a bit better I suppose, personally I still think it should be longer like 12+ months but hey ho. I’m out though for the set. Will just be getting 11 and 12…I think the new 10 sculpts don’t look anywhere near as good as the ones I already have (too cartoony as others have said) and I don’t like the new 9 figure enough to justify forking out for the upgrade.

I miss the old days when they offered a 10 or 12 month plan for all of their figures. Made them much more affordable and with the long production times it took the sting out of giving the company so much money and getting nothing in return for 2 years or more.

I do really like this shot of Twelve they have, but not enough to pay $343 (before their $30 shipping). And not with that ridiculous collar they gave him.

twelfth-doctor-definitive-series-gallery-13.jpg

Still close to $400 USD a pop by the time you pay for shipping.

But the 12th and 11th Doctors look pretty good... 10th looks like Andrew Garfield a bit but great outfit... and the 9th just looks scary, like he's going to rob me. And at those prices, he is.

Back