Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still close to $400 USD a pop by the time you pay for shipping.

But the 12th and 11th Doctors look pretty good... 10th looks like Andrew Garfield a bit but great outfit... and the 9th just looks scary, like he's going to rob me. And at those prices, he is.
I am definitely getting Capaldi, but I need to get some other preorders out of the way first.

I'm assuming these are going to be exclusive to their own store if I'm reading right? The statement of "exclusive regenerating hands" is the only thing that made me question that.

To be honest, I just don't trust them to produce the PERS system competently for a first go around. Even Asmus, who is a pretty strong 1/6 contender and has significantly more experience, struggled with it.

I really like 11 and 12's sculpts. As a package, 12 is clearly the winner of the bunch though. The tailoring is good on its own, even amazing if you take things piece by piece, but needs to be tightened up a bit. The actual fitting to the bodies is about 5, 6 years behind what we expect these days.

What really surprises me is that we've never seen third party KOs of DW figs. When the show had a little more cultural oomph I could have easily seen "The Time Man" sorts of releases.

I'm assuming these are going to be exclusive to their own store if I'm reading right? The statement of "exclusive regenerating hands" is the only thing that made me question that.

To be honest, I just don't trust them to produce the PERS system competently for a first go around. Even Asmus, who is a pretty strong 1/6 contender and has significantly more experience, struggled with it.

I really like 11 and 12's sculpts. As a package, 12 is clearly the winner of the bunch though. The tailoring is good on its own, even amazing if you take things piece by piece, but needs to be tightened up a bit. The actual fitting to the bodies is about 5, 6 years behind what we expect these days.

What really surprises me is that we've never seen third party KOs of DW figs. When the show had a little more cultural oomph I could have easily seen "The Time Man" sorts of releases.
I'm sceptical too with the moveable eye system...the protos look excellent but the production piece could be a different kettle of fish. I'm a big fan so hopefully they can do it justice on the upcoming S18 Tom.
The tailoring on the new Pertwee figure still leaves a lot to be desired with the jacket being way too baggy around the upper arms and shoulders.

From Big Chief:

Dear customers,
October has been a very busy time here at Big Chief, with literally hundreds of items being shipped out to eager customers.
Our Third Doctor and Thirteenth Doctor sixth scale character replica figures have proven to be a hit with fans and we are thrilled to deliver the quality that collectors have come to expect.
More recently we have taken delivery of additional items from our classic comedy gift lines including premium money banks and keychains, plus a re-order of the series 1 Bobble Buddies that have been so popular with our customers.
The next items due for release include the James Bond Dr. No and Flash Gordon sixth scale character replica figures. These figures were originally scheduled to have shipped from China and to have arrived by November. Having been delayed first by the knock on effects caused by the global pandemic, production has been further impacted by the energy crisis.
As you might well be aware it is not only the UK that has been affected by the ongoing energy crisis, China too is suffering with governmental enforced restrictions on electricity consumption, resulting in factories only able to operate for a reduced number of days per week. In fact our factory was already only able to work for four days per week and that has now been reduced to just two days.
We know that this will be frustrating for our customers and we can only apologise for the ongoing delays. Rest assured we are doing everything we can from our side to get as much work done as is possible in the reduced working week. We are yet to receive a final completion date, but we have been advised that the factory hope to complete production around the end of November, although we feel that it will likely slip into December.
Of course this means that these figures will not make it to our shores for us to ship out in time for the Christmas holiday. We anticipate that the figures will now arrive around the end of January 2022. Of course should this change we will update you.
Given the current circumstances and the unavoidable domino effect on our schedule, all of our outstanding products have been affected in one way or another. We are focused on getting the delayed figures through the tooling process and into mass production as quickly as possible.
At this point we are unable to provide confirmed release dates for any of the outstanding items. All we can say is that these items will certainly not be released until early 2022 onwards. We appreciate that many of you would ideally prefer a more detailed release schedule, right now we do not have that information and the last thing we want to do is to promise something that we cannot guarantee.
Please stay tuned for further updates and thank you for your loyal support and custom.
BCS

The items affected are:

Sixth Scale Character Replica Figures​

James Bond
James Bond Dr. No - expected end of January 2022
Dr. No - expected end of January 2022
Flash Gordon
Flash Gordon - Saviour of the Universe - expected end of January 2022
Ming the Merciless - Emperor of Mongo - expected end of January 2022
Flash Gordon - King of the Impossible - expected end of January 2022
Doctor Who
Fourth Doctor Definitive Series
The Master
Sixth Doctor
K-9
Captain Jack Harkness
Peaky Blinders
Tommy Shelby
Arthur Shelby
Laurel & Hardy
Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy - Classic Suits
Thunderbirds
Lady Penelope
Captain Scarlet
Captain Scarlet - Spectrum Edition
Captain Blue - Spectrum Edition
Captain Black - Spectrum Edition
Space 1999
Commander Koenig

Giftware​

Only Fools and Horses
Bobble Buddies series 2 - Boycie, Trigger, Grandad - expected end of January 2022
Dad’s Army
Bobble Buddies series 2 - Pvt. Frazer, Pvt. Walker, Pvt. Godfrey

I see the Zavvi rereleases were discussed briefly a while back, but I’ve been out of the loop with this line so I have to ask, do we know exactly what the deal is with them?
I’m mostly interested in that Eleventh, but the description lists him having two hairpieces (one just hair, one with fez) so is it just the first release with the Series 7B head or something else? Wondering if I should look into this one or wait for the Definitive Series version to go with the 7B purple coat version.

I see the Zavvi rereleases were discussed briefly a while back, but I’ve been out of the loop with this line so I have to ask, do we know exactly what the deal is with them?
I’m mostly interested in that Eleventh, but the description lists him having two hairpieces (one just hair, one with fez) so is it just the first release with the Series 7B head or something else? Wondering if I should look into this one or wait for the Definitive Series version to go with the 7B purple coat version.
Yes it looks like it's a combination of the 1st version with the 2nd version head sculpt. You should wait and see how the final product looks like. With new improved paint apps and better tailoring...this might look pretty great:)

Are these all new editions exclusive to BCS or the same that were listed a while back at other spots online? I'd really like to pick up a good 4th but prices are a but insane compared to the quality so far. Still looking for that "definitive" DW line to invest the kind of money they're asking. I do have some SS rewards to use but I don't want to spend on inferior product.

Right, but have any of them actually been released? The first editions have of course, but aren't these reissues supposed to be more 2.0 versions than straight new runs? Even with the points $300+ is a hard pill. So they better be good! None of this "customize to make it tolerable" nonsense. I suppose the reasonable assumption would be to look at the most recent releases as to what to expect. Which were those? Since they're all very close to out of my price range, I don't follow them very closely.

Last edited:
Here's the clincher: Have any of the BCS final products come out with the same quality or better than prototypes? I recall there being several people had to "fix up" or repaint a few years back. Hopefully they've grown beyond that. At these prices sloppiness is just unacceptable in my book. I've been mostly happy with Mezco so that's the quality level I'm hoping for. Hot Toys is off my pay grid.

Last edited:
Here's the clincher: Have any of the BCS final products come out with the same quality or better than prototypes? I recall there being several people had to "fix up" or repaint a few years back. Hopefully they've grown beyond that. At these prices sloppiness is just unacceptable in my book. I've been mostly happy with Mezco so that's the quality level I'm hoping for. Hot Toys is off my pay grid.
This isn't an answer to your question, but BCS is the only 1/6 company I've spoken to on the phone, just recently, and I will say the person I spoke with went out of his way to ensure me they were doing everything they could to put out the best product possible. Even though he was just a phone rep he honestly seemed invested in what BCS were trying to release. I don't have the feeling they're phoning it in on their products, but not everything can be a homerun, not even for Hot Toys.

Right, but have any of them actually been released? The first editions have of course, but aren't these reissues supposed to be more 2.0 versions than straight new runs? Even with the points $300+ is a hard pill. So they better be good! None of this "customize to make it tolerable" nonsense. I suppose the reasonable assumption would be to look at the most recent releases as to what to expect. Which were those? Since they're all very close to out of my price range, I don't follow them very closely.

None of the Definitive figures have been released yet so we don't know how they're going to turn out.

Their most recent releases are the 3rd and 13th Doctors and those are darn nice figures and as close to prototype as can reasonably be expected, in my opinion. The only issue people had with them was some staining from the 3rd Doctors clothes, though mine didn't have that problem so it didn't effect all of them.

Last edited:
I ended up just POing the 12th. They're too costly, the ETA is too far away and the installment system too limited for me to commit to more. Besides, I already have the original 11, 7b 11 and the Signature 50th 10, so I'm alright. Just too much stuff on the horizon. Not to mention I stopped watching after Capaldi, so I'm not as invested in the property these days. Had Tennant had a less cartoony face and wilder hair, I may had been tempted to reorder him. I hope they turn out good, but I'm not holding on for a release date before 2023.

Back