Big Chief Studios - 1/6 - DALEKS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite certain that we will be seeing many variants of the Daleks from BCS in the future.

BSC knows their numbers and sets edition sizes accordingly one would think, but trying to tempt a fast 500 is always the ploy. And I agree, if those sold out, BCS would figure out a way to sell another edition at some point with some new doohickey or exclusive or slight change.

Yeah I haven't been that impressed with some of their chosen sales practices as far as supposedly limited/numbered edition items go in recent years, but I pretty much hold my tongue on that front as more than that I want the company to survive and do well enough that it can keep putting out these niche characters and licenses that pretty much no one else would touch at this scale. Sometimes you've just got to take the bumps to get to the smooth. :)

That's the key phrase of course.

At $169, they likely would sell double to triple the amount of Daleks -- of course I'm not sure of the fan base, and BCS is, so likely they know its better to price high for a few rather than low for... a few.

I'm just griping because I want my Dalek for a price I can afford. :)

I do hope these sell well for BCS because I would like to see Davros and other figures in this line, whether I can afford them or not.

The only way I can begin to justify maybe grabbing a couple of these personally is by reminding myself that custom 1/6 Daleks at this scale cost even more, or at least the ones I've seen over the years certainly have anyway. A bit of a cold comfort, though, when you don't know just how well these are going to turn out from the factory way down the line, versus a hand crafted piece, that while significantly more expensive, you usually know extra care and attention went into getting the final result something truly worthwhile...

Like so much in the collecting game, you rolls your dice and you takes your chances, I guess. :lol

Of the two choices, I would go the custom route. At least you know it would be mostly accurate.

But then, not sure when some other manufacturer would pick up the Who license... so obviously this is your best and only chance to get a properly scaled 1/6th Dalek that is factory made right now.

That said, I would wait until this is released to see what you get.

With the Dalek character being owned by both the BBC and the Terry Nation estate...maybe the high price point for these could also be down to the licence?

I'm sure that part of it but Daleks appear on pretty much everything so they seem to be willing to work with companies and must be somewhat affordable. Big Chiefs own super deformed Dalek bobbleheads aren't insanely priced for example.

They won't make that many in this run, but over time with color variants, even if they only do runs of just 3,500 units each multiplied by just 6 color variants, that's 21,000 total Daleks that the price could be amortized over.

I also don't understand the over-complicated build requirements. Seems there are places that could save money -- like who needs multiple panels on the base unless they are removable? I don't even understand the "mesh" that we don't see.

I'm not a Dalek expert, but hearing that there are numerous inaccuracies at this price point makes no sense when at the same time you are using hidden design work as a selling point.

Accuracy sells itself.

I don’t think he means we won’t see the mesh — the mesh surrounds the “invisible” collar inside the neck. Like how the props keep you from seeing the operator inside.

The metal mesh is the biggest selling point, IMO. Plastic captures that fine detail poorly.

So does anyone know of a suitable replacement in 1/6th? The Eaglemoss ones look too small to me.
I bought from a guy on ebay a few years back...he was based in the North of Ireland, and made all the different variants to order. Don't know if he's still making them.
Maybe someone else can chime in with more information?

I don't understand what people mean when they are saying they are not accurate. :dunno

Anyone care to expand on that for me?

day-of-the-daleks.jpg
225667627_10160113482271002_5121931863835778516_n.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, now that I can see the side by side Pix posted above, I can see a few differences.

6 short panels instead of 7 on the grating just above the "arms".

Gold rim on top of "bumper" is not there on actual

Minor... but its literally 'at a glance'...

It does appear to be thinner than the screenshot as well.

Matrix, I love your Daleks. They have been revolving in my screensaver playlist for years. lol

I'm no Dalek expert, but to me, going strictly by the promo pics, the colour is off, and looks bronze rather than yellowy gold. The control boxes for the sucker and gun arms look to my eyes to be maybe 15 to 20% too close together (there should be roughly, or just a smidge under, three metal bars worth of length between them when looking at the mesh and bars wraparound directly above them, if memory serves) - in fact the whole Dalek looks slightly slim as a result. Also if I recall correctly the skirt shouldn't be dual toned except, arguably, along top, the grille mesh around the neck should have much smaller holes and look more gold than black at distance (although this might be a licensor driven style choice as pretty much all versions of the Gold Dalek released tend to get this wrong and go with the standard black mesh look), the rings around the eyestalk should be a lighter shade of blue, and the black hemispheres look a tad undersized, a bit shallow as to how much they protrude, and also look to have a slightly odd shape as to how they curve (though the latter may be a photography effect, would need to see more pics to be sure).

To be fair, the proto pic they showed alongside the Third Doctor looked more accurate colour wise, and also around the neck grille/mesh. But now that just adds to the confusion as to which is more accurate as to what we'll end up getting. That proto pic also showed an incorrect silver gun instead of gold.

Additionally the warrior Dalek should have a graphite coloured gun arm, not silver, if we're going with Pertwee Day of the Daleks accuracy.

My views above are by no means definitive, mind, I certainly don't rate myself a true Dalek expert, nor have I watched Day of the Daleks in a while, so I might be off on a point or two, but that was my initial takeaway looking at them, for whatever it's worth. :)

Hopefully they'll put up a video of these to better judge by, and mention any inaccuracies that they intend to address in production. Doing so might go a long way in helping sell these to finicky folk like me. :p

Last edited:
Back