Beware of Ebay seller "bmgm77"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goliath

Super Freak
Reaction score
Strange "bidding" on Ebay...

Just as a warning to those interested in bidding on this auction:

It looks to me like there is shill bidding going on here:

Gimli auction

Here's the bidding history:

History

There is a new member joliekatharina (member since 4 days) who has put in a bid of EUR 240, just to retract it seconds later because they "entered the wrong amount" - they did not put in a corrected bid.

One day later they put in another bid of EUR 300, revealing my maximum bid or EUR 262.54 - just to retract it again seconds later, because they "entered the wrong amount" again.

Then they put in another bid of EUR 262 - of which they can be sure it won't be the maximum bid, but which forces me to my maximum bid of 54 cents more.

I have reported this to Ebay already, just wanted to let you know as this seller was and is currently selling other SSW items, too

Although I couldn't find other suspicious "activities" on other ended or active listings I just wanted to share this information here, too to make you aware.

Last edited:
This sounds more like it's the other bidder trying to discover the maximum bid rather than the seller shilling.

Can the bidder retract their bid without the consent of the seller? Not sure how that works. I thought you had to contact the seller and have them remove your bid, but I guess not.

Is there a certain amount of time that you are allowed to retract your bid because of an error?

The bidder can retract their bid at any time, although I think they've cut down on the number of reasons you can choose for doing it. However I think they look at retractions and may suspend you for too many.

Darklord Dave said:
This sounds more like it's the other bidder trying to discover the maximum bid rather than the seller shilling.

But what sense would it make to find out the maximum bid and then put in a bid yourself that is just a bit lower than that :confused:

All that does it force the other bidder to his maximum bid.

TheDude said:
It is the same with this auction. This time the seller is rene4841.

https://offer.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=6254321389

I have reported this to eBay, but they did nothing about it so far.
It could also be someone who want to sabotage this auctions.
Hopefully eBay will block this account soon

Mmmh, now this is rather strange...

I am not expecting to win this auction with my maximum bid, but what should I do in case I would? I am not willing to pay a high price only because somebody has revealed my maximum bid just to bid then a bit less than that!

Last edited:
goliath said:
Mmmh, now this is rather strange...

I am not expecting to win this auction with my maximum bid, but what should I do in case I would? I am not willing to pay a high price only because somebody has revealed my maximum bid just to bid then a bid less than that!

why not just retract your own bid? You would force the shill bidder to make a move and can wait until the last seconds to enter again if you wish.

Makiyu said:
why not just retract your own bid? You would force the shill bidder to make a move and can wait until the last seconds to enter again if you wish.

I will not start playing the same game, because:

1) The number of retractred bids will also appear in your own feedback profile.

2) You are only allowed to retract bids before the last 12 hours of the auction.

3) You are only allowed to retract bids within 1 hour after you've bid.

4) You are basically only allowed to retract bids if you have made a typographical error (i.e. 100 instead of 1.00) or if the description has changed.

I have no intention to violate any of these rules in return...

Goliath - you should consider using one of the many sniping programs available
instead of bidding up the item early, only to have some other bidder mess with
your bids by either shill bidding, or fighting against you for the item, and thus
costing you more by driving up the price. Set a sniper program with the highest
amount you'd be willing to pay for the item, and then set back and let it do all the work.

JS

JSAuctionService said:
Goliath - you should consider using one of the many sniping programs available
instead of bidding up the item early, only to have some other bidder mess with
your bids by either shill bidding, or fighting against you for the item, and thus
costing you more by driving up the price. Set a sniper program with the highest
amount you'd be willing to pay for the item, and then set back and let it do all the work.

JS

I thought those were not legal to use - if they are legal, which program would you recommend?

Exactly, the only bid that matters is the last one. I have never understood why people bid while the auction is going. Never ever bid unless your sniping, it's a waste of money if you do. Sniping while it might piss off your competeing bidders, is perfectly legal. Why is it that everyone thinks that it is illegal anyway, I have heard that many times. There is nothing unfair about it, if the second highest bidder lost well that's how auctions work. He put in his max and either your bid at the last minute is higher or not, simple as that.

Use:

https://www.hammersnipe.com/

https://www.auctionsniper.com/

Jesse

goliath said:
I thought those were not legal to use - if they are legal, which program would you recommend?

To my knowledge they're absolutely legal. All it is, is a program that automatically
enters in your bid in the last 5-10 seconds of any auction(s) you choose.

Bidnip is a good one, but if you google search "auction sniper" or "sniping program"
you'll likely find many others out there that are excellent as well.

No sense bidding something up early, giving others a chance to fight you
for it and costing yourself more money than necessicary to win an item.

JS

My knowledge of sniper programmes is zero. What happens if two people use the same sniper programme on the same auction and type in the same maximum amount? Does the whole internet crash?

The recommended hammersniper, auctionsniper or bidnip are not actual programs, but online services that will put in the bid for you.

This means you'll have to A) give them you Ebay password and B) pay them for each time you use them.

Are there no programs available that you can have installed on your own PC to do this job for you?

I doubt you will find one as anyone that makes one will want to make money from it and it would need your password anyway otherwise it wouldn't be able to bid on your behalf.

Auctionsniper.com only charges 1% which is a minute price to pay for their service. Thats a $1 charge for a $100 auction, I think that is money well spent. Just saving you from one competing bid will pay for itself. With auction sniper you get free snipes when you sign up as well as three more free for every friend you have register. The sites mentioned are all reputable so dont worry about giving them your ebay password. Many here have been using them for a long time and I have yet to hear of a single problem.

So if anyone registers then just put me in as a referal "jesseawilson" :D ........

Jesse

Back