SCAM EBAY SELLERS!! Beware of these guys ( red_star2013 and sc store9999 )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1138

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi Fellow freaks,

I thought I would name and shame these Fraudulent sellers on eBay. I pre ordered The Hot Toys Mandalorian remnant Stormtrooper from an eBay seller known as "red_star2013" and also pre ordered the Hot Toys Madalorian figure from " sc store9999 " Both sellers sent shipping information to me back in January, which was very odd as we all know this is impossible as the figures were never released at that time. I contacted ebay regarding this issue at the time, as I tried to contact both sellers and had no response. eBay managed to contact the sellers who then got back to me to say that the shipping information they sent me was " just an order code " that they give out prior to the figures release. I gave them the benefit of doubt, but now after chasing "red_star2013" for the Hot toys Mandalorian Stormtrooper shipping date, I have had no response and further more because of the purchase date for both the figures, eBay and paypal have washed there hands of both transactions, as they are too old for them to get involved with. So it looks as though I've been scammed for ?400 Gutted as this has never happened to me on a pre order from eBay before. If you check there feedback it looks as though they has done the same to several other buyers. I checked their feedback prior to purchase and they were 100% at the time so I thought I was in safe hands. Please share these seller names on any other collector forums so that these scammers get a bad rep and others don't get caught out like I have. Does anyone know if there are any other avenues I could explore to getting my money back? any advise would be much appreciated :)

Chill out. That's how they do it because eBay needs them to ship out the items so they provide a dummy tracking. A lot of the eBay sellers do not get the 1st batch of figures so your Remnant trooper might be from the 2nd batch. Sellers usually charge a premium for 1st batch these days. If you see Sideshow or other stores shipping the Remnant trooper and you still haven't gotten yours, then you should start worrying. I've purchased from eBay preorders and also Hong Kong sellers, they do not get 1st batch these days. They said 1-2 months after initial release.

eBay isn’t really designed for pre-ordering, and I would never recommend pre-ordering anything from a seller there.

Even if they seem reputable, there is no real recourse if something like this happens.

Though I believed pre-orders or longer than a month are forbidden in the TOS unless something has changed.

Pre-ordering should only really be done with reputable stores. May I ask why you went through eBay to pre-order?

There is a chance you’ll still get your figures. The Remnant Stormtrooper is just now trickling out.

If in time you don’t get anything, the only option I can think of is going through your credit card company if you used one through PayPal.

Sometimes eBay is the cheapest option for people outside of the US.

It can't be much cheaper than using a site like KGHobby, surely? A couple of people may have received things like the Mando Remnant Stormtrooper and even the ESB 40th Boba but I'm not expecting an email from KGH just yet with my Boba 40th. Those things will take a while for people to get. If you've gone for a cheap option then you're looking at second batch at least which will be a while off yet.

There's a load of sellers on various FB groups who service that community as well as through online stores in HK etc that are easily comparable to a cheap eBay seller and far more reliable.

It can't be much cheaper than using a site like KGHobby, surely? A couple of people may have received things like the Mando Remnant Stormtrooper and even the ESB 40th Boba but I'm not expecting an email from KGH just yet with my Boba 40th. Those things will take a while for people to get. If you've gone for a cheap option then you're looking at second batch at least which will be a while off yet.

There's a load of sellers on various FB groups who service that community as well as through online stores in HK etc that are easily comparable to a cheap eBay seller and far more reliable.

It is when most of them order free shipping. I also said "sometimes", they aren't always cheaper. I've bought a good few figures from HK sellers on eBay simply because it's been cheaper than places like Toys Wonderland and Toys Buying Agent.

I bought my Mudtrooper from eBay because it was the cheapest listing I could find, and I'm not bothered about second batches or whatever, I'd rather save money in this hobby wherever possible.

There are a few reputable sellers on eBay that I've used multiple times over the last few years. But I've never encountered OPs situation where they provide an "order code", although I agree that him calling it a scam right now is quite premature as these figures have literally just released.

KGH usually sells out of PO after a bit. For me, ToysBuyingAgent is now the cheapest. Before that, I had to go through the eBay route to get Preorders I missed. Your buyer protection does run out but if the seller has high rep, it should be ok.

I wouldn't call these sellers scammers yet until things are set but they could have replied saying when the product is expected to be shipped to ease the buyers worry. The eBayer I bought from was LoontenToys and it all worked out. The high volume sellers in Asia get most of the stock as part of the 2nd batch, hence the premium on the 1st batch, at least that's what I'm told.

I'd never pre-order on eBay. All the protections are tossed out the window.

This is the real moral of the story right here. Personally, I would never pre-order from eBay as there are tons of reputable retailers out there that I'm 100% confident (and protected) pre-ordering through.

Also, this forum is probably the worst way to leave negative feedback for eBay "scammers" (if they truly are). Best thing to do is leave feedback on eBay to warn others.

This is the real moral of the story right here. Personally, I would never pre-order from eBay as there are tons of reputable retailers out there that I'm 100% confident (and protected) pre-ordering through.

Also, this forum is probably the worst way to leave negative feedback for eBay "scammers" (if they truly are). Best thing to do is leave feedback on eBay to warn others.

I can't leave feedback on Ebay as the period to do so has now lapsed. I have tried contacting both sellers just to touch base several times but neither have replied. If I was a genuine seller I'd have no problem replying to people that require information / reassurance about their purchase, which in itself rings alarm bells to me. I've used Ebay for lots of pre orders in the past ( loonetoys, TIMECENT88) and never had any issues with communication.

I disagree on this being a bad place to let other people know, helpful all the same. There's a good thread for all bad eBay buyers/sellers here (not very active) but I've added quite a few people to my blocked list.

www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9546

I guess more helpful to some than others then. I've seen the list but don't bother cross-referencing it due to eBay's own feedback system. Plus there are so many reputable sellers that I rarely need to resort to eBay unless the figure is sold out, in which case it would be in stock so it wouldn't be an issue of being outside eBay's policy.

Does make you wonder though how many eBay accounts "make the list" because of people jumping the gun like this...

I would be weary ordering from both of them. I also think they are the same company (people). A few years ago I ordered an in stock figure from the one named red star. They shipped it out quickly and was delivered out in Georgia. I live in California. Tried contacting them (several times) but no response whatsoever. Paypal covered me, so I wasn't out any money. I looked into it and there are like 3 or 4 companies from the same region. They have very similar product at about the same price with very similar wording. I'll admit I've been tempted a few times to order, but I've held firm. From me this is just a heads up, based on my experience with them.

I guess more helpful to some than others then. I've seen the list but don't bother cross-referencing it due to eBay's own feedback system. Plus there are so many reputable sellers that I rarely need to resort to eBay unless the figure is sold out, in which case it would be in stock so it wouldn't be an issue of being outside eBay's policy.

Does make you wonder though how many eBay accounts "make the list" because of people jumping the gun like this...

The list is mostly helpful for blocking buyers who don't pay, etc. You can often avoid a bad seller with feedback like you said, but any buyer can win an auction or buy an item even if their feedback is terrible.

I would be weary ordering from both of them. I also think they are the same company (people). A few years ago I ordered an in stock figure from the one named red star. They shipped it out quickly and was delivered out in Georgia. I live in California. Tried contacting them (several times) but no response whatsoever. Paypal covered me, so I wasn't out any money. I looked into it and there are like 3 or 4 companies from the same region. They have very similar product at about the same price with very similar wording. I'll admit I've been tempted a few times to order, but I've held firm. From me this is just a heads up, based on my experience with them.

:lecture

I've bought from both as well, and also thought they were the same seller.

I think it was sc store who actually sent me a free Xing body months after sending a refund. When I paid it was supposed to be in stock, but months went by, and they refunded. Then more months went by and a body arrived - at the time I had no idea where it had come from, and could only guess that sc store hadn't cancelled it on their end.

Sc store is like that alot of his stuff is preorder,ibought mtoys joker on feb 5th and received it last week lol still waiting on items ordered even earlier,send him a message he is good for responding.

I can't leave feedback on Ebay as the period to do so has now lapsed. I have tried contacting both sellers just to touch base several times but neither have replied. If I was a genuine seller I'd have no problem replying to people that require information / reassurance about their purchase, which in itself rings alarm bells to me. I've used Ebay for lots of pre orders in the past ( loonetoys, TIMECENT88) and never had any issues with communication.

Give them a few days to respond. I wouldn't call them scammers. I've never had any issues with sellers from China when buying 1/6 accessories or items but I usually go through stores instead. Check feedback and be patient and friendly and I'm sure they'll respond. You already seem to have your back up and a lot of people fear dealing with confrontation. Hope things work out :)

I knew I'd recognized the name Red_Star2013. I also ordered from them. Nowhere in the item description was the word "pre-order" mentioned. I also got a tracking number that didn't work. I ended up canceling my order when the seller told me the item wasn't actually released yet. I'm sorry you were burned by ebay though.

I bought something from a sc store999 (only 3 9's) and it arrived fine.

I've seen red_star2013 a lot on ebay but just checked and never actually bought from them.

I will also chime what many others have said: DO NOT preorder on ebay. You're just asking for trouble, especially with delays.

As others have said, I wouldn’t panic completely yet. Wait until they have been shipping out widespread. As for the no response, the reason I can give you would be that it’s likely they won’t respond and say something like “the item isn’t released yet” or “we’re waiting on the next batch” could be because they are willfully admitting to violating eBay terms which you can then use to get their accounts banned. Short of that it might be just a language barrier, but I would assume they’d at least try through google translate or something. But my first reason is what comes to mind immediately. Give it a bit more time. I hope you get your items.

Back