Best Place to Buy Glass Curios/Shelves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PacMan3000

Super Freak
Reaction score
I see people's collections here, and they are amazing. A lot of them use glass cabinets/curios/shelves, and I'm just curious where some of you got them from, and what are some stores/websites you would recommend to purchase them from.

Also, if you guys could state roughly how much it cost you, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, and feel free to post photos!

craigslist is your friend. be patient. I paid around 200-300 for each of mine, some I got at even less. To buy them new, you can expect to pay 500-1000 or more.

The smaller cabinets are detolfs from Ikea, they can't hold really heavy pieces but you
and put lighter ones in. They cost less than a hundred. Check out the different threads in this section for pictures.

The smaller cabinets are detolfs from Ikea, they can't hold really heavy pieces but you
and put lighter ones in. They cost less than a hundred. Check out the different threads in this section for pictures.

The recommended shelf-weight is 13 lbs, so it's unlikely you'll run into many problems there. They're $60 and are pretty much the most bang for the buck. I'll swear by them, seeing as how I've got 21 in my basement.

What about for polystones weighing more than 15lbs that are more of less the centerpieces of my collection?

~LoA

What about for polystones weighing more than 15lbs that are more of less the centerpieces of my collection?

~LoA

I've seen some people customize their Detolfs. Different bars and/or different/thicker shelves. I couln't tell you if it's worth it though.

I'd suppose for heavy pieces like that, you probably wouldn't want to chance it though, and in that case, I'm of no help to you.

if your in canada or Europe, JYSK sells double wide detolf type cabinets that are perfect for PF figures or 1/6 figures

^I've been looking for something like that. Is Beech the only color they come in? I'd prefer it in black

i don't know, all it lists is beech, but that doesn't mean that it's not available in other colors. i've only been into their stores a couple of times, and i wasn't to impressed with the organization and quality of product they had on display. it kinda looked like where all old ikea furniture goes to die.:lol:lol

not saying everything they sell is that way, but just because their site only lists one color, i would bet that if you went in to the store that they'd have others to choose from.
either way if not, just buy a black spray bomb or quart of low shine black latex paint, and paint it up. there's not alot of space to cover and it wouldn't take long.

how close is your nearest store?? or do you have one close to you, mine's only 1/2 hour away. i might check it out this weekend.

I've never heard of that place before, so when I checked, I guess this store's only in Canada? I'm in NJ

oh, well that sucks.
unless there happens to be a brand name on the boxes, maybe someone states side might also handle it. like i said if i do check it out this weekend, i'll see if there is any info on the packaging, as to where they might be manufactured.

OK, I got off my duff and googled JKSY and found a store in Niagara Falls, not too far. $148 will get me a 61cm x 35cm x 156cm case, whereas IKEA Detolfs are 43 x 37 x 163cm for 59.99. Not much difference in size, big difference in price. However I'd have to drive 2+ hours to Toronto to get one or two of these. How sturdy are the JYSKs?? I here the Detolfs have some issues...

don't know, yet!! i will be picking a couple up if they have them in stock and i'll let you know.
don't forget that price is cdn $$, so it will be alittle cheaper for ya.
i think the ikea displays are around $89 up here.

as long as the jysk displays are sturdy enough i kinda like the looks of them better imo. they might also be sealed better also, but i'd have to see one in person i guess first to make that judgement.

ok, picked a couple of each up the other weekend, and finally got them put together. they have the identical measurements as the detolfs from ikea, and the double door displays are wider of course.

other than the color, which i would like some more choices. i like these better than the detolfs, simply because the detolfs are fixed shelves (welded), and while these (jysk displays) only have one position per shelf also, they are drilled and screwed in.
meaning that you can if you want manipulate the shelf hieghts.

that's what i did with mine, so instead of having 3 glass shelves, (which makes for some rather tight fits for alot of statues with only less that 15" clearance) i measured and redrilled 2 holes in my upright poles so that i now have 2 glass shelves instead of 3 (giving me 20-21" of clearance) which gives more and better displaying options imo.

if i could find my camera i'd take some pics of what i mean. :lol
these displays from jysk are the same price as ikeas detolfs, but with a little bit more displaying options if you own a drill and bit, and purchase a tap from the local hardware store.:D

Back