Bay's Pain and Gain.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cat-feces-seattle-wa120510.jpg

Anyone seen this flick yet? Curious how much of the real story it follows. The movie seems like it is wanting you to like the thugs.

Here is a link to the real story. This thing was way crazy twisted. I think a NBC Dateline would do it better justice. It's a long read but worth it.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/1999-12-23/news/pain-gain/

Yeah. I loved it. It follows it CLOSE but not 100%. There's differences.

There's a scene with Johnson and a shoot out that never happened. His character is a amalgamation of two different people.

They never show their face during the torture scenes. And the end didn't really happen, where Kershaw/Schiller "gets his revenge".

But it's pretty close. Close enough. Minor little differences, some major ones. But that's expected for making a story.

I'm happy they didn't make the ending a good one.

That was a pretty interesting review. I enjoyed it.

He makes pretty good points too.

No he doesn't. His opinion is whatever. But at no point does the movie make you root for those guys. Not once. They're idiot *******s from frame 1.

So. He missed the point. Making his review invalid. It's not even a hard movie to understand. I have to say, watching that review made me really detest that guy. I don't think he knows a single thing about films. He might. But he he sure as **** doesn't show it. Multiple voice overs are a problem? So...Goodfellas was a problem? Don't like Bay's visual style? Fair enough. But that doesn't make it wrong. Movies absolutely don't have to be focused. There's no written rule that states that. You CAN be all over the place. And the funny thing is..every character interacts with every character, and the story never jumps into anything else. It's one story. With multiple accounts. \

I'll be honest. I never watched any of his reviews before. Perhaps a few seconds. Now I know why. He has a closed mindset about film as a whole. "MOVIES SHOULD BE THIS AND THIS AND NOT THIS AND THIS". No. Not at all. However, "THE MOVIE SHOULD'VE BEEN, THIS AND THIS, BUT WHEN IT WENT TO THIS AND THIS IT FAILED". That's an opinion. Which is fine. It's his matter of factness that bugs me.

I listen to two critics. Spill.com, and RLM. Spill gives me that almost everyday joe, regular film goer with a big interest in films. They give a more grounded approach. And I like that. Combined with RLM who dissect, and try and understand what made the film work, and what didn't, in a thoughtful and intelligent way. This guy just screams in a camera for 5 minutes and says nothing. In my opinion.

Even if he liked the movie, I'd feel the same way. I do not like that guy.

Last edited:
A show of movie reviews and comedy. If I make you laugh, then i've done my job. Subscribe, and spread the word!

Oh. So he's shouldn't be taken seriously. Ok. My bad then. :lol

I enjoyed this movie, no doubt. Much more than I thought I would going in. However, I really had some trouble with the tone. If this would have been a made-up story, I could have just straight-up enjoyed it. But it's mostly true. And it didn't happen that long ago. It's hard to watch someone brutally killed and chopped up and stuff and not think... geez, their mother or sister or brother is still alive out there. What's worse, some of it is played for comedy. I'm very torn, because the tone actually works for the movie. But the real world aspect of it was uncomfortable for me. Now, does this make it bad? I don't necessarily think so. I mean, I think there is some interesting things going on because of that. I am just not sure if I like that aspect of it.

Interesting that Schiller/Kershaw was actually arrested right after the hearing for tax evasion! It sounds like the AD used him and his testimony to get the Sun Gym Gang put away and then turned on him right after! Yikes. I can see why they left that out.

I didn't know this was based on a true story where the main characters played by Marky Mark and The Rock actually killed people! :pfft:

From the trailers it looked like stupid fun but I'm not sure if it will be as "funny" knowing that.

Has Michael Bay actually commented about this?

- Pablo

Anyone seen this flick yet? Curious how much of the real story it follows. The movie seems like it is wanting you to like the thugs.

Here is a link to the real story. This thing was way crazy twisted. I think a NBC Dateline would do it better justice. It's a long read but worth it.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/1999-12-23/news/pain-gain/

That was a fascinating read, Face. If that's the way it went down, I presume the Bay-abridged version will be the equivalent of a pop-up book.

Jeremy Jahns reviews are usually quite fair, I like the guy. He made some valid points about this film too.

No he didn't. Did you see it? None of the characters are likable, and the film was incredibly easy to follow. It had a single narrative with multiple characters.

I enjoyed this movie, no doubt. Much more than I thought I would going in. However, I really had some trouble with the tone. If this would have been a made-up story, I could have just straight-up enjoyed it. But it's mostly true. And it didn't happen that long ago. It's hard to watch someone brutally killed and chopped up and stuff and not think... geez, their mother or sister or brother is still alive out there. What's worse, some of it is played for comedy. I'm very torn, because the tone actually works for the movie. But the real world aspect of it was uncomfortable for me. Now, does this make it bad? I don't necessarily think so. I mean, I think there is some interesting things going on because of that. I am just not sure if I like that aspect of it.

Interesting that Schiller/Kershaw was actually arrested right after the hearing for tax evasion! It sounds like the AD used him and his testimony to get the Sun Gym Gang put away and then turned on him right after! Yikes. I can see why they left that out.

The story itself has a dark comedic tone to it. The killing and chopping up bodies isn't funny. But their incompetence and inability to think things through is. The killing of Frank Griga wasn't at all funny or amusing. What is...is the fact they ruined their plan due to their idiotic actions, and killed him before they could take his money. That's what the film did. That's why it works.

I don't know how you can find any of these people at all likable, sans Johnson's character. But even then....he was dumb enough where you didn't feel too bad for him.

I didn't know this was based on a true story where the main characters played by Marky Mark and The Rock actually killed people! :pfft:

From the trailers it looked like stupid fun but I'm not sure if it will be as "funny" knowing that.

Has Michael Bay actually commented about this?

- Pablo

I read the story, and it's still funny. Is Fargo not funny because a lot of it was based off true stories? Dark comedy is a specific thing. If you're not a fan, you won't like this movie. If you are, then you will.

This controversy is a little out of hand. These people did dumb things. We're laughing AT them. Not with them. No one is rooting for them. And i'm glad most people who saw the film actually realized that. If this was a drama, how would that make it any better? It's still people's lives thrust upon the screen in a somewhat factious manner...

Back