Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo! :clap

I can't speak for anyone else's take on rewatchability but I saw this three times in one week (9 hours! :thud: ) so yes it definitely holds up for me, lol.
I don't care how great this or any other movie is, when I read something like that my only response is

snl-william-shattner.gif

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

It was clear to me that Quaritch and Spider bonded immediately when they took him "hostage" to be their interpreter. Spider clearly was starved for a TRUE father figure, and not just the kind of sort-of, kind-of father figure that Jake was. In fact, I thought he had fully turned to the "human side" cause he really was enjoying teaching his old man the way of the Navi. Especially when Quaritch claimed his banshee. By that point in the movie I thought he was fully on "Team Sky People" just cause he was so happy to finally be accepted and not seen as a "pet" like he had been most of his life. So then in Act 3, where he's conflicted, I thought they could have been a little more clear about his allegiances. But the fact that they shared a bond was evident to me, so Quaritch not wanting Neytiri to kill him, and Spider saving him in the end made perfect sense to me. The jarring part for me was when Spider went back to the Sullys even after saving his dad. He should have just made his choice once and for all. Surely that will be a giant part of the plot of the sequel(s).

As for the sea people speaking English......nobody was speaking English. Early in the opening monologue, when Sully says he's finally learned the language, it segues into all of the characters speaking English for the benefit of the viewer. But they're really speaking Navi. It's being translated for us so we don't have to read subtitles for three hours. I think "Hunt For Red October" did the same thing.

But I may be mistaken...I only watched the movie once, from a camrip source. Maybe there were scenes when the sea people explicitly spoke English and yeah, I agree...they shouldn't have been able to in that case.

It was clear to me that Quaritch and Spider bonded immediately when they took him "hostage" to be their interpreter. Spider clearly was starved for a TRUE father figure, and not just the kind of sort-of, kind-of father figure that Jake was. In fact, I thought he had fully turned to the "human side" cause he really was enjoying teaching his old man the way of the Navi. Especially when Quaritch claimed his banshee. By that point in the movie I thought he was fully on "Team Sky People" just cause he was so happy to finally be accepted and not seen as a "pet" like he had been most of his life. So then in Act 3, where he's conflicted, I thought they could have been a little more clear about his allegiances. But the fact that they shared a bond was evident to me, so Quaritch not wanting Neytiri to kill him, and Spider saving him in the end made perfect sense to me. The jarring part for me was when Spider went back to the Sullys even after saving his dad. He should have just made his choice once and for all. Surely that will be a giant part of the plot of the sequel(s).
I think that Spider rejoined the Sully's because his greatest bond was still with Kiri (a fellow outsider) and Quaritch threatened her which crossed the line for him.

As for the sea people speaking English......nobody was speaking English. Early in the opening monologue, when Sully says he's finally learned the language, it segues into all of the characters speaking English for the benefit of the viewer. But they're really speaking Navi. It's being translated for us so we don't have to read subtitles for three hours. I think "Hunt For Red October" did the same thing.
Great take! :clap

Woohoo! :clap

I can't speak for anyone else's take on rewatchability but I saw this three times in one week (9 hours! :thud: ) so yes it definitely holds up for me, lol.

I'm not going to bother with spoiler warnings since it's been two full weekends now so if you haven't seen it (and haven't let the whole movie be spoiled by YouTube parodies which is just crazy to me) then continue reading at your own risk.

I did like that Quaritch yielded for the sake of Spider. IMO they planted the seeds for that with him interrupting the mind probe interrogation and continued it with their growing camaraderie throughout the film. In fact I thought they had established it so well that I was actually surprised when he first acted like he didn't care if Spider died. I was even a little disappointed that they were seemingly taking the easy road of making him a one-dimensional "evil" villain. But when he showed his cards and yielded I immediately realized that to me he is an absolutely awesome character and easily the best movie villain of the year.

Obviously Spider's existence is a retcon to expand the story (more on retcons later, a couple of them are strikes against the movie) but I think that introducing him in a seeming vacuum with no connection whatsoever to his father as portrayed in the previous film actually allowed the audience to see him as nu-Quaritch did. Just a kid with an intellectual connection to the character (implanted memories) but not actually by blood and with no real history to speak of. But Spider's character was so well written and so well portrayed by the actor that I found it very easy to believe that Quaritch would allow his mental awareness of Spider's connection to his previous life to develop into a real bond. And of course it offers another facet to the overarching theme that fathers protect their kids at the expense of all else.

And this might be the single most pro-father movie we've seen in a generation! Two dads willing to give up everything to protect even their adopted kids (Kiri and Spider) while Neytiri was willing to sacrifice both! :thud: A father portrayed as logical and pragmatic and a mother portrayed as emotional to a fault? What year is this again?? lol

Going back to Quaritch though I didn't realize it at first but I also love that we're getting an evolution of the "Uncle Bob" thematics. You take the villain from the first movie, put all of his intelligence/knowledge onto a little rectangular CPU, put it in a new body that can learn on its own and voila, Uncle Bob "Avatar" style. And it was awesome! :rock

And yeah, I can't say enough about the kids. I finally learned the girls' names after three showings (Kiri and Tuk) but I'm still working on the brothers, lol. The younger brother was pretty much the main character of this movie and man did he do an unbelievable job of carrying his scenes. The acting across the board was just on a whole other level compared to the first, especially Sam Worthington. He conveyed so much even in silence when reacting to everything that was going on around him. I got emotional all three times he "visited" his son at the end.

My only nitpicks are what I consider to be some minor dumbing down of the lore to make way for the new direction he is taking the story. Things like the super isolated sea Na'vi already knowing English when the first film was quite clear that the only Na'vi who spoke it were the ones educated at Grace's school. Also the viperwolves ignoring Quaritch's team on account of them being avatars contradicts the pack that attacked Jake his first night in the woods. But that's pretty much it and on the scale of "headcanon tweaks" are pretty easy to justify. I'll just assume that in the 15 or so years since the first movie Jake used his Tarok Motko status to get the word out on learning the Sky People's language and I guess I'll have to assume that the viperwolves attacked Jake because they were annoyed by his fire, lol.

This movie was an epic rollercoaster of both thrills and emotions, I can't believe Cameron is now 3/3 when it comes to directing sequels and kudos to him for bringing the new Planet of the Apes writers on board to help with the script because it was much more solid than the first.
Yeah that 15 year gap is big enough to absorb any lore changes lol

Sam Worthington was amazing especially for a guy who only makes Avatar lol

Yeah I can’t believe the primary theme of this movie made it thru Hollywood.

You mentioned wanting to see more Na'vi vs. machines...it seemed to have another aspect that echoed T2 in that T1 was humans vs. a machine and then T2 was machine vs. machine while A1 had human vs. avatar compared to avatar vs. avatar in A2.

If I were to guess where this is going I would lean toward humans vs. Na'vi conflict resolved next movie and then both fighting a common enemy (new alien invaders perhaps) in the fourth. Supposedly whatever happens in the fourth movie shocked the studio execs when Cameron pitched it to them.

Regardless of what happens all I know is fighting to protect their kids >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fighting to protect a tree, lol.

HFR train heist... :drool

I didn’t even realise there was an option to watch it in 2D. Will have to hunt it down. And I miss the days of being able to go and see a a film like this multiple times. Before kids, before marriage. I would have knocked out 3-4 sessions at least. But it’s all good!!!

The big question now is whether it'll get an IMAX disc release or if it'll just be one more way that it plays second fiddle to Maverick. I'm guessing that it won't and that the IMAX version will be yet another Disney+ exclusive.

The big question now is whether it'll get an IMAX disc release or if it'll just be one more way that it plays second fiddle to Maverick. I'm guessing that it won't and that the IMAX version will be yet another Disney+ exclusive.
Khev i’m usually dumbfounded how big movies get made so many intricate yet huge moving pieces.

Khev……

How THE HECK was this freaking movie made…just how HOW!!

The cgi made Marvel Phase 4 look like The Scorpion King lol

Really??? I'm gobsmacked. I guess that's where Cameron's digital wizardry comes in, because that guy has the acting range of a head of lettuce. Translating that stiff's typical performance into a full-fledged lead character that has a full range of human/Na'vi emotions would be truly noteworthy. They may have to create a special Oscar category for JC to honor such an achievement. :lol

Khev i’m usually dumbfounded how big movies get made so many intricate yet huge moving pieces.

Khev……

How THE HECK was this freaking movie made…just how HOW!!
Dude there are so many aspects of this movie that blew me away. I think the biggest shock of all is the kids. I thought they all looked silly on the posters and in the trailer but after seeing the visuals combined with their personalities and actor portrayals I wouldn't change a thing about them. Pulling off the whale bonding stuff, teen romance, HFR, Sam Worthington turning in an awesome performance, Sigourney playing a freaking 14 year old, the groan factor of "somehow Quaritch returned," the perfect blend of CGI and live-action/human actors...if even just two or three of those elements fell flat then this movie could have been a disaster of legendary proportions but he nailed every single one! :thud:

And for as long as the movie is not a single scene is wasted or doesn't have some sort of ultimate pay-off at the end.
The cgi made Marvel Phase 4 look like The Scorpion King lol
:lol :lol

For your Oscar consideration, lol.

FcGLcqOWQAIIeCF

Dude there are so many aspects of this movie that blew me away. I think the biggest shock of all is the kids. I thought they all looked silly on the posters and in the trailer but after seeing the visuals combined with their personalities and actor portrayals I wouldn't change a thing about them. Pulling off the whale bonding stuff, teen romance, HFR, Sam Worthington turning in an awesome performance, Sigourney playing a freaking 14 year old, the groan factor of "somehow Quaritch returned," the perfect blend of CGI and live-action/human actors...if even just two or three of those elements fell flat then this movie could have been a disaster of legendary proportions but he nailed every single one! :thud:

And for as long as the movie is not a single scene is wasted or doesn't have some sort of ultimate pay-off at the end.

:lol :lol

For your Oscar consideration, lol.

FcGLcqOWQAIIeCF
Dude seriously the trailers for this movie sucked hard especially when compared to A1 people were sold on the title only.

The ball is in your court now Wor-Garvatar

:lol

I'm happy you liked it. I am also curious about the rewatchability on this. We'll know soon. Spent Xmas with extended family. None of the kids I was with have seen it yet and none of them planned to. It was very strange. But these kids see like 4 movies at the theater a year. A year! I used to see that in a weekend.

Anyway, not sure I'll see this in first run. But Cameron will plaster this in theaters again and again until it makes over 2B so I can wait.

The reason I bring up repeat viewings all comes down to how much you care about whale bonding and illegal whaling especially illegal whaling on Alpha Centauri lol

I do wish…..spoiler ahead……

The main whaler bad guy got a better death.

Back