Autographed Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burtis11

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
So I posted some photos of my Sideshow Darth Vader Mythos Statue that I had signed by David Prowse today and surprisingly I'm getting negative feedback on it. Did I just commit a major faux pas with statue collecting? I thought it would be pretty awesome to have, what I think, is the coolest Vader statue out there signed by the man himself. What's everyone's thoughts? I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks

I haven't seen the piece in question, but just in general I'd say three things on this particular subject.

First, collect for yourself and not for anybody else. Follow your own heart and your own tastes and collect the pieces that bring you pleasure and you can't really go wrong. There will always be people with deeper pockets, more display room, and a bigger collection. Don't try to compete, or impress anybody else, don't buy something just because of hype or popularity, stick to what speaks to who you are and where your passions lay. Anything else is just clutter.

Personally I'm not big on signed statues, but if you are, if it adds something special for you, go for it. That said, if you want to keep the option open of selling the piece at a later date, then you might want to stick to just getting the bases signed, and not anywhere on the statue proper. Also, just realise that if you get something personalised to you then you are probably going to face an uphill battle ever selling it. Some people like (appropriately matching) sig's, some don't, but almost no one is interested in buying something signed to somebody else's name. So if you get a piece signed to you then there's a very good chance you have detracted from the resale value, rather than added to it. Of course the location of said personalised signature, and how it was applied also play a part, as far as all that goes. Some signatures being easier to paint out or otherwise remove (partially or fully) than others, so some signatures will hurt resale harder than others.

Third, everyone has an opinion in this hobby. But that's all they are, so don't take them personally. The only person who needs to enjoy whatever you buy is you, and if you are honestly happy with a piece then it shouldn't matter whether almost everyone agrees with you, and sees in it what you yourself do, or if almost nobody does. After all a collection is supposed to reflect its owner, and their tastes and their personality, not anybody elses. So everything else, as far as views and opinions go, is mostly just interesting noise.

Just have fun, and do what's right for you, and again, you can't go far wrong. Along any other path lies madness (or burn out, at the very least).

My view, anyway, for what little it's worth. :)

The key is where was it signed, bottom of the base is best and second don't have it personalized. Those are the general rules for getting the most back from resale. All that being said do what you think is cool its your statue and your collection

I saw the pictures on Facebook (I think :lol can't be two people with this "problem")

I think it looked good and fit well with the base.

If you are happy with it just enjoy it and be happy. As for resell value it will probably be lower, but I got the impression this is one piece you will never sell so who cares?

First, if you wanted it signed and it has higher value to you as such, then more power to you. So what if others don't think it was a good idea?

Personally, if I was going to have a statue signed, I'd have it on the base to not mark up the art that is the statue. I'd likely have found a litho or something to have him sign and then frame it to display with the statue instead, but that's me. That way I think it enhances the whole display but not compromise the value of the statue. My sense is that most people don't want an autograph that they didn't get themselves, or it doesn't mean as much. But again, point is, that's me and my bag. There's no damn crime in what you did. I hope you don't worry about it because I think most average people are going to think that's pretty awesome!

I saw the pictures on Facebook (I think :lol can't be two people with this "problem")

I think it looked good and fit well with the base.

If you are happy with it just enjoy it and be happy. As for resell value it will probably be lower, but I got the impression this is one piece you will never sell so who cares?

If you're on the Tosche Station or Ageless Geeks pages, you've seen what it looks like. It's on the base. Not on the statue itself

Either way...unless it is sloppily done or in a super obnoxious spot, as long as the signature is not personalized and has relation to the pieces...I cant image it would hurt it.

Notice every post asks where it's signed? :D

Top or bottom of the base is a personal preference.
I'd say signing on the statue itself is a no-no but again, just personal preference.

I had my original hulk pf underneath the base & original spider comiquette back of the wall base signed by Stan Lee. Had it authenticated at the convention. Those 2 statues will never be sold. Personally having a creator of the characters signed it is more significant then an actor portraying it sign it.

I'm thinking of getting my SS Spidey statue autographed by Stan Lee. So for those who have autographed statues.....what pen or marker do you recommend to use? I'm hoping the signature does not rub out over time. Thanks!!!

I thinks that's awesome!
Congrats on getting his signature!

Back