Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for some help on black jeans. The black jeans that I have found on ebay and some retailers are either vintage or don't even look like jeans. I tried dying a pair black with RIT only to have them turn out dark blue. Suspect is the synthetic fabric.. Is there a dye out there that works better or someone that makes a good pair of black jeans?

Newbie here. Checking things out. Illustrator. Sculptor. Writer. Learning what I can. Looking to aquaint myself w other artists, etc.

1) Get some super sculpey firm.
2) sculpt the head
3) make a mold with some silicone from manufacturers like smooth-on
4) cast the head in resin from manufacturers like smooth-on
5) Use a dremel to drill out the opening in the neck so the head can rest on the peg.
6) Paint the head using acrylic paints (if you use cheap paints, well, you get what you pay for.) Try Model Master Acryl.
7) Seal it with a matte finish like Testors Dullcote.

Be advised each process is harder than it sounds.

Does anyone know a painter/custom artist in NYC area ??
plz let me kno by pm , Thanks !!!

I've been eyeing the KO recasted Billie Jean sculpts on eBay. So many people complained about the Thriller head, and how they wanted the other sculpt that we were shown originally. But no one complained about the head that Michael approved of him self. I've been looking at it, and made a few digital mods to it via Microsoft paint. I dont have photo shop. Here's the pic-
customMJ.jpg

First thing you'll notice is that I shortened that Leno chin, and gave it the dimple. I widened the lips, narrowed the nose, and raised it a little higher on his face, giving him a bigger gap between his nose and his upper lip. Raised the cheek bones, gave him heavy eye liner, and added eye shadow make up. Topped of with a few more strands of hair painted across his forehead. In my opinion, it looks alot better, and alot more like him from the Dangerous/HiStory era. But I'm also seeing alot of "The Way You Make Me Feel" video look. Maybe its the blue shirt.

Now here is my predicament. I have no clue as to how to carry this out.
I need someone to tell me what kind of sand paper to use. What kind of sculpting materials and tools to use. Paint. The whole deal. I believe if someone can point me in the right direction, and with a little time and patience, I can pull this off. This will be my first ventrue into the field. So please be gentle with me. Thanks!

I wish to touch up the suit on the Hot Toys "Kane" figure from "Alien". I've read somewhere that the suit's material is some type of silicon or rubber-like material.

So my question is: What type of paint should I use?

I would assume that a water based type Acrylic would be safe but wanted to run it by the experts here.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

1) Get some super sculpey firm.
2) sculpt the head

I want to try my hands at sculpting too, thanks for the info. So this would be the right stuff to get started? https://cgi.ebay.de/Super-Sculpey-F...11?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Schule&hash=item3effde7c8f

As for sculpting the head, should I first create a base on which I would sculpt with the sculpey (like tin foil pressed into a ball form or something), or should the complete head be made out of the sculpey? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and another question. The auction says you have to bake the super sculpey firm after you're finished. Is this necessary? How would you go about sculpting onto an existing figure part (which would be plastic and could not be baked)?

Last edited:
I've been perusing this thread for over an hour now and it's been INCREDIBLY useful. I'm a customizer myself, but I've read about a few tips and tricks that I'm dying to try out now. One thing I didn't see (maybe I skimmed too quickly), is info on sculpting hair. I'd actually say I'm pretty good at sculpting hair, but my downfall is curly/wavy hair. Anyone here have experience with that? What material do you use to sculpt: super sculpey, the firm type, or something else entirely? What tools do you use to do the sculpting? How do you add enough detail without ruining the shape of the curls/waves? Thanks!

I want to try my hands at sculpting too, thanks for the info. So this would be the right stuff to get started? https://cgi.ebay.de/Super-Sculpey-F...11?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Schule&hash=item3effde7c8f

As for sculpting the head, should I first create a base on which I would sculpt with the sculpey (like tin foil pressed into a ball form or something), or should the complete head be made out of the sculpey? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and another question. The auction says you have to bake the super sculpey firm after you're finished. Is this necessary? How would you go about sculpting onto an existing figure part (which would be plastic and could not be baked)?

I used to do the foil base, but realized that in 1/6 its really unnecessary.

And, yes, baking sculpey is necessary to harden it. I recommend that you place it in the oven at 200F for 30-40 minutes, then increase the heat to 275F for 30 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave it inside as the oven cools. If you take it out before the oven cools it is likely to crack.
Good luck.

I used to do the foil base, but realized that in 1/6 its really unnecessary.

And, yes, baking sculpey is necessary to harden it. I recommend that you place it in the oven at 200F for 30-40 minutes, then increase the heat to 275F for 30 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave it inside as the oven cools. If you take it out before the oven cools it is likely to crack.
Good luck.

Alright, thanks for the info, especially that bit about leaving it in the oven to cool off. :)
I ordered the sculpey a couple of days ago, it's currently sitting at the post office waiting for me to pick it up.

Any suggestions on how to sculpt onto an exiting sculpt? Is it possible to harden small parts like that with a hair-drier?

Anyone figured out what will take the factory paint off Sideshow stands? Mineral spirits didn't work, nor did acetone...

Alright, thanks for the info, especially that bit about leaving it in the oven to cool off. :)
I ordered the sculpey a couple of days ago, it's currently sitting at the post office waiting for me to pick it up.

Any suggestions on how to sculpt onto an exiting sculpt? Is it possible to harden small parts like that with a hair-drier?

Place them in a cup of boiling water. Again, let it cool in the water.

Anyone figured out what will take the factory paint off Sideshow stands? Mineral spirits didn't work, nor did acetone...

Try Goof Off. Its high powered acetone and I haven't found any paint that stands up to it.

No problem guys. A lot of the answers I give are just what I've read here as well as what I've tried myself. I'm not the best customizer around but I've probably made the most mistakes so any advice I can offer to help a fellow freak I try to throw out there.

Back