Asmus Toys - Thranduil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dangit! I've had a really busy past few weeks and haven't been able to read the forum much, and missed Thranduil being for sale again!

Well, my Thranduil arrived with a giant gash in the box, due to the base protrusion and the lack of a singular flat protective plastic casing over it, such as the ones a certain other company uses.

It was the lack of being double boxed that really caused it though. Asmus... you can’t ship overseas and not double box this ****. Everything you have sent me has been damaged by the time it gets here. It pretty much negates the discounts. For ****s sake.

anybody have one of these guys they’re looking to get rid of? PayPal ready for a reasonable price- just shoot me a message! Please and thank you!!

Last edited:
Sculpt weirdness - ripoff or change in production?

Reluctantly bit the bullet:monkey2 and picked up a NIB? Thranduil, as expected paying *hurtful* 'bay prices. Snooze u lose...but WTF. The head sculpt differences of the new Thranduil are enough I thought I'd been sold a knockoff.:horror

But. Every other part seems to be genuine, including the box. Costume is identical to the first Thranduil I got from BBTS, in first wave release (left fig in pics). But not only is the sculpt and paint of the new Thranduil different, so is the construction. The original head had a 3 piece construction, no sideburn, light blue eyes and a darker skin tone.

The new Thranduil has a 2-piece construction, very pale, simpler paint with heavier eyeliner - darker eyes which is not correct - and a big gap where the hair isn't fitted well to the face plate. Assembly is sloppier, like one side of the tunic collar is glued to the neck - I gotta deal with that...NOTE: in the pics the head to the right is just perched in the neck, so it looks "giraffe". I am gonna rinse the hair later so no point in completely re-attaching the head for these pics

ASMUS_Thranduildeux1.jpg

ASMUS_Thranduildeux2.jpg

ASMUS_Thranduildeux_side.jpg

ASMUS_Thranduildeux_side2.jpg

ASMUS_Thranduildeux_torsos.jpg

The weird thing is, while I think more work went into head #1, the second head to me kinda looks more like the box art and/or like Lee Pace:dunno. Weird, weird, weird:dunno. I dunno if ASMUS switched factories in the middle of production (like when Frodo's eyes showed up too dark; IMO it's not as bad, but Thranduil #2 eyes are also too dark of a blue) or if someone is making spectacular Thranduil knockoffs - even the new Thranduil staff is light yellow, not amber and the neck is also more pale than the first Thranduil. E.g. even the box trays and extra pegs and swords look genuine. WTF!!!!

WTF. Below is a pic from an ongoing ebay auction with the "new" sculpt:

ASMUS_Thranduildeux_ebay.jpg

So it's not just me. I'd like to know tho what is going on here, and also, switching head sculpt companies mid-production, if that is what happened, probably isn't a good idea. So squirrely!:dunno

I had no idea they had re-released him, let alone with a new sculpt! That said, the new head looks miles better in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I had no idea they had re-released him, let alone with a new sculpt! That said, the new head looks miles better in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

IMO since I got the new one from E-bay, it's not a re-release - Thranduil is hard to find, and I think tho the seller claims to be in New Jersey these are "Asian flippers".

Flippers based in Hong Kong or China who buy up stock and re-sell. IMO the squirrely part for me is the whiff of the same people who do work for Hot Toys and others may be doin' some side work. But I don't know. Think I will e-mail ASMUS and ask, as switching production factories would explain the differences.

For sure Hot Toys seems to have switched their production company, and IMO not for the better.:(:slap

It wouldn’t be the first time Asmus switched something. I think with Bard and the first Aragorn they started adding extra hand pegs and even switched forearms on Bard I think. Plus the Frodo paint thing.

It wouldn’t be the first time Asmus switched something. I think with Bard and the first Aragorn they started adding extra hand pegs and even switched forearms on Bard I think. Plus the Frodo paint thing.

I didn't know about Bard and Aragorn - but yeah, the Frodo paint thing. Sent ASMUS a note - LOL to me this is a pretty big switch if they did that. If it's a KO tho, pretty good KO. Disconcerting tho.:horror But especially in a side view, really looks like Lee Pace! The nose and chin are less sharp than the first one I got. So weird!:panic:

thranduil2.jpg

tumblr_ofpbglV4IK1ul0cj8o2_500.jpg

ASMUS_Thranduildeux_side2.jpg

I could see it going either way but I am leaning towards Asmus changing the production. It can be frustrating because you never know whether it’s better to be part of the first or second batch with them but outside of Frodo’s paint scheme I think the other changes were small in nature and normally done due to fix issues people were having like the firearms and the hand pegs.

I could see it going either way but I am leaning towards Asmus changing the production. It can be frustrating because you never know whether it’s better to be part of the first or second batch with them but outside of Frodo’s paint scheme I think the other changes were small in nature and normally done due to fix issues people were having like the firearms and the hand pegs.

Thanks! Yeah, for me, it'd be truly weird to go through a LOT of trouble if it's a KO - everything else genuine except the face, and apparently the body is paler as well - e.g. the neck matches the "new face". Not that many reviews and pics around, and most were done at release, I guess, so the reviews look like my Thranduil #1.

Happily I have a loose plan, and they were eventually gonna be displayed differently. LOL it'd be nice to turn the first one into Thranduil's father Oropher, since the faces IMO are different enough. Always wished Peter Jackson had done a flashback scene of the loss of Oropher in the War of the Last Alliance.

Hope ASMUS weighs in tho! And even better, gives us a Thranduil on throne with his crown of berries and thorns. It's obvious there's a market for Thranduil.

Hey I’m sorry to but I’m here but I’ve been looking to buy one of these and was wondering if anyone had one to part with? I understand a bit of markup I just can’t pay the current ebay prices especially after this whole issue with the sculpt change. All of the ebay listings only use stock photos. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sculpt weirdness - ripoff or change in production?

Reluctantly bit the bullet:monkey2 and picked up a NIB? Thranduil, as expected paying *hurtful* 'bay prices. Snooze u lose...but WTF. The head sculpt differences of the new Thranduil are enough I thought I'd been sold a knockoff.:horror

But. Every other part seems to be genuine, including the box. Costume is identical to the first Thranduil I got from BBTS, in first wave release (left fig in pics). But not only is the sculpt and paint of the new Thranduil different, so is the construction. The original head had a 3 piece construction, no sideburn, light blue eyes and a darker skin tone.

The new Thranduil has a 2-piece construction, very pale, simpler paint with heavier eyeliner - darker eyes which is not correct - and a big gap where the hair isn't fitted well to the face plate. Assembly is sloppier, like one side of the tunic collar is glued to the neck - I gotta deal with that...NOTE: in the pics the head to the right is just perched in the neck, so it looks "giraffe". I am gonna rinse the hair later so no point in completely re-attaching the head for these pics

View attachment 457694

View attachment 457696

View attachment 457697

View attachment 457698

View attachment 457699

The weird thing is, while I think more work went into head #1, the second head to me kinda looks more like the box art and/or like Lee Pace:dunno. Weird, weird, weird:dunno. I dunno if ASMUS switched factories in the middle of production (like when Frodo's eyes showed up too dark; IMO it's not as bad, but Thranduil #2 eyes are also too dark of a blue) or if someone is making spectacular Thranduil knockoffs - even the new Thranduil staff is light yellow, not amber and the neck is also more pale than the first Thranduil. E.g. even the box trays and extra pegs and swords look genuine. WTF!!!!

WTF. Below is a pic from an ongoing ebay auction with the "new" sculpt:

View attachment 457703

So it's not just me. I'd like to know tho what is going on here, and also, switching head sculpt companies mid-production, if that is what happened, probably isn't a good idea. So squirrely!:dunno

I am very surprised at this. First word I have about a v2 Thranduil.

Concerning heads: both are meh to me... The figure as a whole is a formative screwup by Asmus, screaming for a re-make.
After a while starring at it, you realise the figure looks like a girl, not like the strong, fearsome big guy Thranduil was depicted as.
Even if the v2 head looks more like Lee Pace, when you consider the extra paleness and the lower QC, you are not really winning. I must also say that I like the v1 head for some reason, so it is easier for me to feel indifference towards v2.

BTW: the staff was supposed to be amber or yellow??
And again BTW Sassafras: you wanted to own 2 Thranduils?! How come...?

RfC
m.

Hey I’m sorry to but I’m here but I’ve been looking to buy one of these and was wondering if anyone had one to part with? I understand a bit of markup I just can’t pay the current ebay prices especially after this whole issue with the sculpt change. All of the ebay listings only use stock photos. Thanks everyone!

Wow, don't know how long it will take, but *potential* good news!:cool:

Received an e-mail from ASMUS and was assured that my "new" sculpt is genuine - and best of all, they are planning a "special edition" Thranduil and think someone mixed the heads up during assembly. ASMUS is offering to exchange for original if I like. Somehow I ended up with a "test head" I guess, and a few others did too.:dunno

I am gonna go for the original head tho...prefer my collectibles to be consistent. Also my staff is genuine - as I suspected it's just changes in tint. E.g. if a product is still in test phases I would rather wait until ASMUS is done working.

Who knows when we will see Thranduil #2:dunno but hope it is on his throne! Suppose ASMUS isn't thrilled at a factory foul-up but still - not the worst thing to know we might get another Thranduil!:pray:

Yeah, ASMUS doesn't do huge runs, all you can do is keep checking. Aragorn goes for crazy prices too.

And again BTW Sassafras: you wanted to own 2 Thranduils?! How come...?

LOL as-boy, because:cool:? Srsly for me Thranduil - as depicted in the films - is a fav character but also represents Celtic folklore and myth that I've been reading for years - the Wild Hunt and those stories. Which both Tolkien and Peter Jackson drew on for the character. Casting and costume design IMO in the films was stellar. (I hoped one day to get one of my Thranduils mounted). Finally for the price point, this is an amazing fig and just so &^%$ clever the way ASMUS pulled off a complex armor; perfect stitching/finishing, plus the staff AND diecast katanas AND a great diorama base that is also carefully done AND stuff is to-scale.

So if u think these all suck IMO that's cool; for me IMO ASMUS is doing a labor of love with these figs and keeping it affordable too. :clap:clap:clap. If I wanted to shell out $4000 for a custom fig...well *&^% that, don't have that kind of money laying around.:monkey2

Received an e-mail from ASMUS and was assured that my "new" sculpt is genuine - and best of all, they are planning a "special edition" Thranduil and think someone mixed the heads up during assembly. ASMUS is offering to exchange for original if I like. Somehow I ended up with a "test head" I guess, and a few others did too.:dunno

I am gonna go for the original head tho...prefer my collectibles to be consistent. Also my staff is genuine - as I suspected it's just changes in tint. E.g. if a product is still in test phases I would rather wait until ASMUS is done working.

Who knows when we will see Thranduil #2:dunno but hope it is on his throne! Suppose ASMUS isn't thrilled at a factory foul-up but still - not the worst thing to know we might get another Thranduil!:pray:

Yeah, ASMUS doesn't do huge runs, all you can do is keep checking. Aragorn goes for crazy prices too.

LOL as-boy, because:cool:? Srsly for me Thranduil - as depicted in the films - is a fav character but also represents Celtic folklore and myth that I've been reading for years - the Wild Hunt and those stories. Which both Tolkien and Peter Jackson drew on for the character. Casting and costume design IMO in the films was stellar. (I hoped one day to get one of my Thranduils mounted). Finally for the price point, this is an amazing fig and just so &^%$ clever the way ASMUS pulled off a complex armor; perfect stitching/finishing, plus the staff AND diecast katanas AND a great diorama base that is also carefully done AND stuff is to-scale.

So if u think these all suck IMO that's cool; for me IMO ASMUS is doing a labor of love with these figs and keeping it affordable too. :clap:clap:clap. If I wanted to shell out $4000 for a custom fig...well *&^% that, don't have that kind of money laying around.:monkey2

I think no matter how many you want to own it’s not a problem. That’s your money that you work hard for and your prerogative. If you want to own five of them that’s fine LOL of course I probably ask you to sell me one but I wouldn’t get mad if you didn’t want to LOL. Plus you have two different scopes on yours so I wouldn’t want to sell one of them either. If I were you I would do like Battle damage version from during the BOTFA

“Special edition” that sounds hopefull. Wonder if they will completely change the hs and costumes or just cashout by making a slim version. I’m still praising their optimism and enthusiasm in continuing the Hobbit line but hope they will add more dwarves in their future lineup.

Really can’t wait for PO announcements on Theoden and Elrond soon.

I think no matter how many you want to own it’s not a problem. That’s your money that you work hard for and your prerogative. If you want to own five of them that’s fine LOL of course I probably ask you to sell me one but I wouldn’t get mad if you didn’t want to LOL. Plus you have two different scopes on yours so I wouldn’t want to sell one of them either. If I were you I would do like Battle damage version from during the BOTFA

LOL don't think I need five Thranduil:cool:....2-3 is fine. 1 in battle gear, one to customize, one hopefully on his throne with the berry crown.

Thorin on the other hand, yeah, five would be good:monkey3. Bein' my fav:love and ASMUS did such great job with him!

“Special edition” that sounds hopefull. Wonder if they will completely change the hs and costumes or just cashout by making a slim version. I’m still praising their optimism and enthusiasm in continuing the Hobbit line but hope they will add more dwarves in their future lineup.

Really can’t wait for PO announcements on Theoden and Elrond soon.

For sure more dwarves are needed! For me Dwalin, and Fili and Kili at least. I'll probably pass on Elrond but Theoden - another fav of mine - is an absolute MUST. I think we may get some good news as SDCC approaches - maybe Azog and Galadriel as well!

I was trying to aks whether you were going to customize your 2nd unit. Owning twice the same thing was a bit of a luxury and hence my question. Badly worded, granted. I should have asked more directly. And of course: your money, your hobby, none of my business, and I was not implying that it was (as self-appointed lawyers on here have rushed to imply).

Regarding Asmus' quality: needless to say that I know they do their best. Needless to say that I am grateful they keep at it (best proof, my having bought many of their figs, right from the Witchking onwards). But also needless to say that everybody must be able to state their arguments, logical reasonings and evidence-based judgements, no matter what, you guys like it or not. Cheer-leading is not my line of work, and it should not be yours either, even in spite of any gratefulness you guys might feel.

Thranduil suffered of some fat silly mistakes, ranging from deeply wrong proportions on armour/body/head (first thing you have to really nail before going into any detail AT ALL) to a very weak likeness, one thing you really want to put your money into in order to get good sales (instead of offering flashy diorama bases and metal weapons, as those things come second, not first).

RfC
m.

LOL don't think I need five Thranduil:cool:....2-3 is fine. 1 in battle gear, one to customize, one hopefully on his throne with the berry crown.

Thorin on the other hand, yeah, five would be good:monkey3. Bein' my fav:love and ASMUS did such great job with him!

For sure more dwarves are needed! For me Dwalin, and Fili and Kili at least. I'll probably pass on Elrond but Theoden - another fav of mine - is an absolute MUST. I think we may get some good news as SDCC approaches - maybe Azog and Galadriel as well!

Yea Thorin was amazing!!!! I’m dying for Fili and Kili especially Kili to go with my Tauriel.

Back