Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I completely lucked out. Was watching youtube when I got preorder email. Was on it like a tramp on chips didnt think of checking if it would fit first.
Well, I would have too - worst case ram the head on with some putty :monkey3 šŸ˜

Gets the job done temporarily anyway. Thank fully ASMUS kept things compatible:clap
And it's like a getting a whole new fig - I need to quit playing with Gandalf. At least quit messing about until Thranduil shows up:pray::pray::pray: and I can have Thorin and Thranduil yelling at each other.

ASMUS_gandalfwhitehorseOpt.jpg

ASMUS_gandalfwhitehorse2.jpg

ASMUS_Faramir_gandalfOPT.jpg

TECHNICALLY Gandalf had tamed Shadowfax before the White Council tho in the films Gandalf the White only alludes to knowing the horse for a while, so having GTG with *a Shadowfax* counts.:monkey3

Anyway it's an awesome sculpt, great hair and facial details, excellent hair quality. Plus, thanks to sturdy bodies and fabric, u can actually work with Gandalf as opposed to some of my more delicate HTs.

Last edited:
Yeah the head is fantastic. For me personally canā€™t justify the price tag for the Inart version now that this head sculpt brings Asmus figures close.

O
Yeah the head is fantastic. For me personally canā€™t justify the price tag for the Inart version now that this head sculpt brings Asmus figures close.
Haven't held an Inart but visually not seeing anything costume or accessory wise that I gotta have from the InArt version, or even sculpt wise, now, that I gotta have from InArt. As far as collecting a Gandalf I'm good. One thing is that Inart decided to not have the print on Gandalf's pants. That sounds like a small thing except a lot of time I like to have a Gandalf sitting on display with his pipe or something. So I appreciate ASMUS' being screen accurate that way, it adds to the costume layers' look on display.

I've got InArt Aragorn ordered but LOL probably the most reluctant purchaser worldwide. A lot of that is the price, but there's other things bugging me. Guess I can only wait for the first in hand reviews.

So, Asmus, if I get GtG on your website, can I get the new head with the set? The new sculpt is great.

At least tell me there will be a restockā€¦

One thing is that Inart decided to not have the print on Gandalf's pants. That sounds like a small thing except a lot of time I like to have a Gandalf sitting on display with his pipe or something. So I appreciate ASMUS' being screen accurate that way, it adds to the costume layers' look on display.
Is there actually a single second that the trouser print is visible on-screen?

Is there actually a single second that the trouser print is visible on-screen?
Is this one of those "how dare I impugn InArt in any way, shape or form" things? Feel free to re-watch the films if you are really interested, and also visit various costuming websites. WETA books should have details as well.

It's stuff like this why I don't even go to the InArt Aragorn thread even if I've got him on order. I don't view InArt as the second coming. I'll wait and see. If I even keep the PO.

Last edited:
Is this one of those "how dare I impugn InArt in any way, shape or form" things? Feel free to re-watch the films if you are really interested, and also visit various costuming websites. WETA books should have details as well.

It's stuff like this why I don't even go to the InArt Aragorn thread even if I've got him on order. I don't view InArt as the second coming. I'll wait and see. If I even keep the PO.
You actually didn't answer the question though. I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if the writings on the pants are actually seen on screen though. Are they? I don't think I've ever noticed them. Honest question, are they shown?

I've never noticed the floral motif along the cuffs of the pants on screen but it's been on a lot of products going all the way back to the Sideshow 1/6 figure almost 20 years ago. That was the first place I noticed it. It's not a make or break detail for me either way, but I think it's a cool detail.

You actually didn't answer the question though. I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if the writings on the pants are actually seen on screen though. Are they? I don't think I've ever noticed them. Honest question, are they shown?
No I didn't. Because my assumption is someone really interested in costume details will go digging same as I did today trying to get a handle on the differences in Galadriel's crowns eg. Hobbit vs. LOTR and whether there ever was a jewel in the center etc.

And right now I can't tell the difference between honest questions re the Gandalfs and nerd rage (which seems to have gone on in the Inart Joker thread as well) with some folks who are ecstatic about InArt - to the point u can't even say u like something unless it's InArt. Pretty sure if I said "It's wonderful ASMUS V1 had staffs for the Hobbit and LOTR!" someone is gonna out with "Who cares, InArt has a lightup!" or worse.

It's not like I said "Inart didn't put the pattern on the pants, they suck" I said I liked that ASMUS had, because IMO it's a nice effect when Gandalf is seated. While 99.5% of folks will probably never display him that way. So no, I don't wanna go around and around with InArt fans.

Last edited:

Calm down, dear.

I know the details are present on the actual costume. Thatā€™s not in dispute.

The question is merely whether or not we can refer to it as a screen accurate detail when itā€™s never seen on screen. Is InArtā€™s justification for excluding it valid?

Criticise them all you like. I dgaf. Iā€™ll enjoy my collection regardless of your opinion.

Also, I did just rewatch the whole extended trilogy at the cinema on Saturday and am fairly confident that it is never visible.
I was semi-actively on the lookout for it although I canā€™t say I was 100% vigilante as you know you canā€™t help but get caught up in the story and spectacle.

Calm down, dear.

I know the details are present on the actual costume. Thatā€™s not in dispute.

The question is merely whether or not we can refer to it as a screen accurate detail when itā€™s never seen on screen. Is InArtā€™s justification for excluding it valid?

Criticise them all you like. I dgaf. Iā€™ll enjoy my collection regardless of your opinion.

Also, I did just rewatch the whole extended trilogy at the cinema on Saturday and am fairly confident that it is never visible.
I was semi-actively on the lookout for it although I canā€™t say I was 100% vigilante as you know you canā€™t help but get caught up in the story and spectacle.
Nice try. And I personally don't care what InArt's justifications are. For one thing, the product is out. For another, any company can say whatever, unless they are HT who never says anything, or ASMUS who have had some difficult lessons in dealing with the public. Besides the fact I opted not to purchase said product.
Anyway, if you or anyone else already enjoy the product what difference does it make?
PS. U seriously were actively trying to look for Gandalf's pants? So now there will be, like a treasure hunt, determined searches in high res for Gandalf's pants.

Last edited:

He asked a legitimate question though, you literally used screen accuracy as the basis for criticizing InArt and yet you and others here have obviously never seen the print on screen.

If you'd simply said, I like having the print because it looks cool or its part of the official costume etc. then it wouldn't have invited that question and you could have kept your blood pressure down lol

"One thing is that Inart decided to not have the print on Gandalf's pants."

"So I appreciate ASMUS' being screen accurate that way"

He asked a legitimate question though, you literally used screen accuracy as the basis for criticizing InArt and yet you and others here have obviously never seen the print on screen.

If you'd simply said, I like having the print because it looks cool or its part of the official costume etc. then it wouldn't have invited that question and you could have kept your blood pressure down lol

"One thing is that Inart decided to not have the print on Gandalf's pants."

"So I appreciate ASMUS' being screen accurate that way"
Yup and he didn't answer my question either.

I was there opening day in the theater for every one of these films. I've watched them countless times over the past two decades and never once have I noticed the print on his pants. Not saying they aren't there, but it's not something I'm going to complain about since I've never noticed them on screen.

This is like the level of nitpicking found in Star Wars or Indy fans where small changes to the costums or whips or lightsabers etc are done from film to film.

What's more puzzling is not that InArt forgot but the licensor who approved the figure without the print on the pants forgot?

Back