Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks insane superglue81. Such a fantastic pose and using the original hat to boot. Kudos.
IMG_5058.jpeg

That looks insane superglue81. Such a fantastic pose and using the original hat to boot. Kudos. View attachment 661287
Thank you. That is Gandalf v1 with the updated head and the crown hat modified by cutting out the bottom and removing the magnet. The hat from v1 is worn by Gandalf crown. I would like to change that scarf for a thinner fabric. This is the gandalf for my The Hobbit display.

Last edited:
Asmus will definitely take a major hit from InArt making the Fellowship of nine. It’ll be tough to compete. They wanted to go high end with Crown but InArt looks like they’re blowing Crown out of the water.
IMO depends on what it is worth to you $$$$ tho I really don't wanna get on this horse again.😁

Haven't been in the InArt thread lately but I'd stack Gandalf's costume, clothes and accessories against anyone's.:love There are details I really appreciate (and most recently with the Nazgul, which has a diecast ring under the arm gauntlet holding all in place as well as nice edging on an outer robe, detail along an inner robe, diecast weapons....)

Overall IMO where ASMUS has been genius is the use of materials that keep the cost down, while doing credible to-scale versions of the original outfits - the original Nazgul used layers of silks (at least 5) to get that flowy effect. Do I want to pay for 5 layers of silks that are not the original weight (since they wouldn't be to scale) and then deal with silk over time which can stain etc. 😱

So for me, we are talking about sculpts, and in Gandalf's case a light-up staff (which is cool for the 5 minutes I have it on. From what I've seen, there's nothing I felt completely wild about with InArt's Gandalf costume (and the outer cloak really bothered me). The sculpt is very nice IMO (a very robust Gandalf, I keep thinking of Sean Connery :monkey3 ). Great hair. I've got Aragorn on order just because I wanted a Ranger Aragorn, and I suppose the outfit will be nice enough. Not sure if I would have replaced him, or not, if I already owned a Ranger Aragorn.

ASMUS has had it's issues, and if u read about the InArt Joker so has InArt, and neither company to me, at this time, made me as mad as Blitzway - well, I don't own any InArt but while I am buying Aragorn to me he looks a bit soft in expression, but maybe that will change in production. And there's other things as well - can I handle/pose the figure?
Am not into boxes, but ASMUS packaging has been very nice of late - too bad I just store boxes. Does it have a nice diorama stand? I like those, even if other collectors don't.

I can see why a dedicated collector, maybe, might want to go InArt if they want the whole Fellowship, since clearly Frodo had the eye problem and Vigo's face has been a continual problem to get right. Maybe Legolas. I haven't the slightest desire, at all, to replace my ASMUS Gimlis which are awesome. Not just to get "real hair" or touches of "real leather" here and there. Thing is, you pay for that InArt work$$$$$ tho in some ways it seems you don't get the costume care or details ASMUS does. ASMUS made great dwarf and hobbit bodies - InArt will have to as well, and customers will pay for that.

For myself, it's at a time when I am ratcheting back spending (and thankfully ASMUS did a stellar job with Thorin, at an affordable cost. Tho I can't say I wouldn't buy an InART version, depending $$$$$, but that's because he's a favorite of mine).

So I wouldn't say InArt is blowing anyone out of the water, including HT. I'd say it depends on what you are looking for, and what you want to pay. I could have, at any time, blown anyone out of the water with a custom fig, but the price would be absurd. The company HAS seemingly gone all in on nice sculpts. But - heck I bought ASMUS' Elrond just because he looked so good, and I wasn't planning on that.

Last edited:
Sorry was working again but, Yes got mine ORDERED!!! Yeah! Love all the pictures everyone has been posting. It completely changes this figure. Love this!!!
Really happy you got yours, and the new pics folks are posting are great.
For me I'll have a couple of awesome GTG - I might even get him a horse, since he seems to ride places a lot - not just on Shadowfax. Not sure yet. $$$$
Besides fretting over what kind of horse.:lol

Also been thinking if the hair isn't gray enough for some folks you could brush hair powder, dry paint pigment, dry brush ashes or whatever, tho I doubt I would mess with my fig that way. Maybe give him some waves and curls. :monkey3

Vallejo gray pigment & isopropyl alcohol.
Brush on the gray and then spray. I've used this method before and it holds.

I've definitely been frustrated with some of Asmus' fumbles, but I'm still onboard. For the simple reason that while they sometimes have baffling QC issues, nobody else is doing a Middle-Earth line with this depth. Is InArt showing a terrific Gandalf? Yes. (Though I'm also really impressed with my Asmus GtW and upgraded GtG.) And has InArt previewed the best Aragorn sculpt we've seen in the decades since these movies came out? Also yes. But InArt is NEVER going to go as deep into the character roster as Asmus has. And the figures they are going to do, they're not going to do them quickly. Asmus has put out almost 50 figures at this point. InArt has said they'd like to do the whole Fellowship, but with their production rate and their other licenses, that's going to take years.

But!

All that means is I'm going to collect both! For me, there's no reason to pit one company against the other. I don't need to pick a team here. I can enjoy both! And if they push each other to improve, we're the ones who win!

I've definitely been frustrated with some of Asmus' fumbles, but I'm still onboard. For the simple reason that while they sometimes have baffling QC issues, nobody else is doing a Middle-Earth line with this depth. Is InArt showing a terrific Gandalf? Yes. (Though I'm also really impressed with my Asmus GtW and upgraded GtG.) And has InArt previewed the best Aragorn sculpt we've seen in the decades since these movies came out? Also yes. But InArt is NEVER going to go as deep into the character roster as Asmus has. And the figures they are going to do, they're not going to do them quickly. Asmus has put out almost 50 figures at this point. InArt has said they'd like to do the whole Fellowship, but with their production rate and their other licenses, that's going to take years.

But!

All that means is I'm going to collect both! For me, there's no reason to pit one company against the other. I don't need to pick a team here. I can enjoy both! And if they push each other to improve, we're the ones who win!
All true. Just like I'm happy Iron Studios and others have at least some licenses, not just WETA. Tho I tend to lean towards WETA being "the source" there have been issues, time to time. Also $$$$$ 😱

Did you got any shipping notice from them?
Not yet, but when I’ve purchased over a weekend before it was a day or two into the new week before I got a shipping notice. Also without a doubt Asmus is the fastest shipper I’ve ever dealt with. Even faster than US sellers. BUT then again it might have been listed as a pre-order (although it didn’t state that) for them to know how many they need to make. Either way I’m just happy to get my order in. I’m cool with waiting if I have to.

Great pics and poses. Great hair and sculpt. Great costume and accessories.

Can't wait to get mine, feels like the end of a quest. :monkey3

And congrats to all who got their heads:monkey3 coz it's out of stock again. I don't know how much traffic collector sites get, or how many even knew ASMUS was doing this.

But thank gawds I kept checking, I'd need medication otherwise.:lol

Not yet, but when I’ve purchased over a weekend before it was a day or two into the new week before I got a shipping notice. Also without a doubt Asmus is the fastest shipper I’ve ever dealt with. Even faster than US sellers. BUT then again it might have been listed as a pre-order (although it didn’t state that) for them to know how many they need to make. Either way I’m just happy to get my order in. I’m cool with waiting if I have to.

Maybe they can't do a PO between storms or supply chain issues or China's roiling economics (and storms). I am not sure how everything on that side of the world interconnects. I won't be surprised tho if anything I have on PO gets delayed - not just from ASMUS.

Finally, I'm tempted to play with some kind of flocking on the plastic hat, in an attempt to make it look more like microsuede e.g. the same material of the cloaks and also used for SW Jedi cloaks. I need to look at what the movie hat was actually made of - wool felt, I suppose. Tho I could just mod the original hat.

Last edited:
Can the head sit any lower? Some of the pictures have him looking a little giraffe necked.

I'm torn. I really don't know if I want to spend $120 to upgrade a figure that was already bleeding expensive for what it was. But I suppose we'll see. Especially with the InArt figure coming.

Can the head sit any lower? Some of the pictures have him looking a little giraffe necked.

I'm torn. I really don't know if I want to spend $120 to upgrade a figure that was already bleeding expensive for what it was. But I suppose we'll see. Especially with the InArt figure coming.
Yeah it sits fine on mine. I've noticed the long looking neck in some pics as well. Maybe they need pushing down a bit more. Could also be the camera settings. Everything looks weird if your phone is set to 'wide'.

Yes, the head is supposed to sit lower! I was just lazy with mine. I couldn’t get the ball joint fitted into the socket for the head sculpt, so I used blu tack temporarily and just sort of pushed it down. It looked okay initially but it slowly rose back up evidently. I forgot I had done that by the time I was ready to take photos. I need to heat the ball joint to pop it in. I may have a go at taking pictures again after doing that.

Last edited:
Back