Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope folks who were crying like me bit the bullet and are either checking the website or their mail.
BTW I noticed even tho I had left the ASMUS page, when I went back to check my account was still open like Sideshow does.
You may want to make sure you log out if you care about such things.

Well done Asmus 👍🏻
IMG_20230908_163820.jpg
IMG_20230908_163810.jpg

This is leaps and bounds better than the V1 Crown sculpt. It's a bit of a double edged sword though in my opinion. On one hand it's great that they are offering this version but at the same time does anyone else feel some what annoyed with having to update something that was clearly meant to be a premium product out the door to begin with?

Also, I never followed the GtW release, does his eyes move like GtG does? Or does these eyes move on this head?

This is leaps and bounds better than the V1 Crown sculpt. It's a bit of a double edged sword though in my opinion. On one hand it's great that they are offering this version but at the same time does anyone else feel some what annoyed with having to update something that was clearly meant to be a premium product out the door to begin with?

Also, I never followed the GtW release, does his eyes move like GtG does? Or does these eyes move on this head?
GTG was an expensive enough piece without having to shell out another 140ish Euro to upgrade it. I'd rather put that money towards the superior looking INART version.

As far as i know the eyes don't move on the new sculpt either.

GTG was an expensive enough piece without having to shell out another 140ish Euro to upgrade it. I'd rather put that money towards the superior looking INART version.

As far as i know the eyes don't move on the new sculpt either.
I agree with you. I'm stoked for the InArt and if I was only displaying 1 GtG that is what I would have done. Save the $138 (after shipping and tax) and sell the Crown to put towards InArt.

That's why I was hesitant to pick this upgrade up. But since I'm keeping the Crown for a secondary display I guess I should display it the best I can 😆

I just didn't know if I was the only one feeling the same why about this purchase or not.

I agree with you- it feels crazy to pay $138 total for a new head to upgrade a "premium" product.

And while I did get the notification today that the new head is back in stock, I got the entire figure for just $100.36 after a Sideshow Seconds discount, gift card, and Sideshow rewards, so I can't justify spending almost 40% more than that just for a new head (even if it is clearly superior)!

Also, I'm still a bit salty that Asmus didn't include the non-fabric hat for GtG with my Smeagol purchase, as they indicated they would way back when.

Not really, in that ASMUS didn't have to do this; and I can't expect them to do this for free.

Like, I've gotten really mad at HT for the stuff they do, like not including an unhelmeted sculpt for Hela so everyone runs around buying customs. For myself the fact that ASMUS does such quality accessories (5 diecast axes for Gimli! All those accessories that came with Thorin and young Bilbo! Diecast armor Nazgul! etc.) I find ASMUS prices incredibly fair.

And the prices for a custom are way up there. I bought Gandalf V1 way back and V2 is fine depending on angle, so it's my choice to pay to upgrade. Besides, overall, time to time, I've gotten some really good ASMUS deals.

I CAN understand why some folks might be miffed; I am just happy I don't have to run around with some custom trying to deal with non-matching neck joints. Maybe with V1? Hope not! 😱

I CAN understand why some folks might be miffed; I am just happy I don't have to run around with some custom trying to deal with non-matching neck joints. Maybe with V1? Hope not! 😱
I updated Gandalf V1. The new head comes with a connector that works for both version 1 and Crown. I am happy with my Crown, I made a few minor modifications to it and I don't see it as bad as some I see in photos in this thread. However I never liked v1 and have been waiting years to update that head.

Attachments

• 37b0e00c-b181-4bcd-bf7b-6f8d8ea8e2e7.jpg
    37b0e00c-b181-4bcd-bf7b-6f8d8ea8e2e7.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 21.43.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 21.43.33.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 0
I updated Gandalf V1. The new head comes with a connector that works for both version 1 and Crown. I am happy with my Crown, I made a few minor modifications to it and I don't see it as bad as some I see in photos in this thread. However I never liked v1 and have been waiting years to update that head.

Thanks, that's good to know!
Yeah, V2 depends a lot on the angle the way the light falls - it's a GOOD sculpt. I wasn't that futzed about it, since from a distance - it's Gandalf, unmistakable. IMO V1 is dated, and the beard bothered me a lot (plastic).
Just glad I have both, and once I get the new portraits I will have a couple of great Gandalfs, and can put funds aside for Thranduil.😁

As an aside, personally not a fan, most of the time, of movable eyes - it's never been a feature I do much with. I think companies should skip that feature, tho other collectors may feel differently.

New head still up on the Asmus site. I think I'm still going to pass. I know it's a bit picky, but that face skin colour to me just doesn't look right compared to the hands. Am I wrong? :huh

Yeah. It was $350 and now with this it's $470. Nearly enough to get the much better InArt figure. On one hand it's cool Asmus would do this but...how many times has this been now? Didn't they do this with the Hobbits and other figures?
I did buy this new head but I'm not buying anymore Asmus products after this.

Yeah. It was $350 and now with this it's $470. Nearly enough to get the much better InArt figure. On one hand it's cool Asmus would do this but...how many times has this been now? Didn't they do this with the Hobbits and other figures?
Yeah they did this with the Hobbits and Aragorn too. I like/dislike this business model. Why don't they get it right the first time instead making us pay more over time? Thats my issue. Sure one could say it's great we don't have to buy an entire new figure, true, but why not hold Asmus to a better standard and have them get it right the first time? 🤦🤷🏼‍♂️

According to Asmus the production numbers have been small because of “limited access to production materials.” I am assuming

this means the hair.
Asmus must only have a few yaks in the garden so have to keep waiting for their hair to grow back before they can start the next batch of Gandalfs.

Yeah they did this with the Hobbits and Aragorn too. I like/dislike this business model. Why don't they get it right the first time instead making us pay more over time? Thats my issue. Sure one could say it's great we don't have to buy an entire new figure, true, but why not hold Asmus to a better standard and have them get it right the first time? 🤦🤷🏼‍♂️

Right. I've bought 2 figures from Asmus. Ash & Gandalf. Now mind you I DO
love my Ash, but it was with a lot of modifications. The same with Gandalf. And the things with Gandalf were far more aggregious for me. I did make the original sculpt better but it always remained a disappointment thinking of what I thought I was buying - and then later actually buying for an extra $120 sculpt to make the figure more on par with the industry

Anyway, whatever. I bought the new head and I'm cool with it for now. I don't know how long time buyers can tolerate this. Asmus must have the most dedicated 1/6 fans on earth.

Right. I've bought 2 figures from Asmus. Ash & Gandalf. Now mind you I DO
love my Ash, but it was with a lot of modifications. The same with Gandalf. And the things with Gandalf were far more aggregious for me. I did make the original sculpt better but it always remained a disappointment thinking of what I thought I was buying - and then later actually buying for an extra $120 sculpt to make the figure more on par with the industry

Anyway, whatever. I bought the new head and I'm cool with it for now. I don't know how long time buyers can tolerate this. Asmus must have the most dedicated 1/6 fans on earth.

I've been in Asmus corner before. And I even defended them with the Ash debacle, even though I've replaced the body and sculpt and heavily modified the outfit, rehaired Linda. In hind sight I gave them too much credit. The average collector can't or won't and shouldn't have to do all these modifications to get to where it's decent.

Though I will give credit where it's due, they did replace my Gollum bodies free of charge. I just hope these new bodies don't turn like the others did.

Great points.

I’m grateful that Asmus made the figures that they have given us thus far. I love having the Fellowship assembled. But the head sculpts for all four hobbits are subpar by current standards. I have SLIM Aragorn which has a head sculpt likeness that is passable but obviously can’t touch InArt’s Aragorn. The rooted hair for Aragorn and Boromir, both, is terrible—thick nylon glued together in a matted helmet.

Asmus will definitely take a major hit from InArt making the Fellowship of nine. It’ll be tough to compete. They wanted to go high end with Crown but InArt looks like they’re blowing Crown out of the water.

Back