Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're meant to be that way though, no? With that "armor" strapped over the boot. The Frankenstein boots are supposed to be blocky.

I know in the past Asmus got hit for having sculpts that looked too craggy -- but that "style" certainly lends itself to Gimli very well. This could be Asmus' best figure yet.

Cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping Michael Crawford gets one early and does a review.

I just can’t see how anyone expects it to look like the prototype. Case in point every single other rooted hair figure. On the face????

I’m still on the fence if I care about gimli enough to want him. If I do get him it’s innevitable I’d rip the stuff off his face and do it myself. But that WIP photo that showed it being stitched in the sculpt has me worried that the base might be buggared up by some weird rooting technique.
The rooting they used does look odd in the face like its sewn into the sculpt in an odd fashion. I do wonder how easy it'll be to remove..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sharing some more bts story with you guys!

During development, we discovered that dwarves' chain mail is unlike any human characters', which is made from interlocking metal hoops. Dwarves' chain mail are discs with hole threaded together with additional metal hoops.

For most 1/6th scaled figure, chain mails are recreated with existing mesh fabrics. But the differences in the pattern urged us to customize Gimli's own chain mail to match the costume design in the trilogy as perfectly as we possibly can.

So we began testing the pattern created digitally on many materials and faced multiple challenges. Sometimes it's too soft, too heavy, or just easily torn. After many trials and errors, we decided on the ideal material that's soft enough to sew, but hard enough to sustain shape and could finally moved on to production.

QQ图片20180507170923.jpg
QQ图片20180507170954.jpg

Sharing some more bts story with you guys!

During development, we discovered that dwarves' chain mail is unlike any human characters', which is made from interlocking metal hoops. Dwarves' chain mail are discs with hole threaded together with additional metal hoops.

For most 1/6th scaled figure, chain mails are recreated with existing mesh fabrics. But the differences in the pattern urged us to customize Gimli's own chain mail to match the costume design in the trilogy as perfectly as we possibly can.

So we began testing the pattern created digitally on many materials and faced multiple challenges. Sometimes it's too soft, too heavy, or just easily torn. After many trials and errors, we decided on the ideal material that's soft enough to sew, but hard enough to sustain shape and could finally moved on to production.

View attachment 407941
View attachment 407942

Awesome! Can't wait to get this guy!! Have you got a firm May release date yet? Thanks.

All that work for ... what ... less than an inch of his arms?

Such attention to detail over such a small part of the costume. Brilliant.

LOVE.

IT.

Last edited:
Wow, that chain mail looks gorgeous ... :panic: I really can't wait to get Gimli. I'll just not panic or pay attention to negative vibes till I got him in my hands and can decide for myself how good he really is. I just hope the face and the hair is good. I do lots of macro portrait shots of my figures and it would be such a bummer if I couldn't do that with Gimli here. :(

Honestly, Asmus has continuously proven that they grow both in detailing and as a company, in general with each subsequent release.

Gimli is another case in point. Well done, Asmus!

:gimli Bravo Asmus!,now I'm really looking forward to the next version of Gandalf the Grey. :gandalf

From Asmus site:
Est. Shipping Date: May 2018
So I wouldn't be worried yet, but yeah, I feel you, can't wait to have him in hand! The fellowship complete at last!

I really hope he's shipping soon coz I can't wait to have this guy in my hands. ♥

I just wonder, if I ordered directly via Asmus, will my order be shipped as soon as he's out or could it happen that although I preordered him, I will be one of those who get the 2nd batch? Coz my local retailer told me that's what can happen if I ordered from other retailers. He said, the wholesalers didn't know either how much stock they'll be gettting and can't tell whether your order will be fulfilled immediately or you'll have to wait longer for the 2nd batch.

Back