Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is only $149.99 at BBTS, that's a great deal when compared to what figures are going for now. A lot has been said about his head, but in hand I think he looks great.

I wonder if this is the re sculpt? Looks better than the original?

image.jpg

That's definitely new. The hair seems very wispy at the bottom. Is it possible that it is sculpted on top and rooted halfway down? Need better pictures.

That's definitely new. The hair seems very wispy at the bottom. Is it possible that it is sculpted on top and rooted halfway down? Need better pictures.
It almost certainly is. Looks like the cutoff changes around the height of his ear. The faux hair transitions from greyish to white.

I will say the new head makes the figure look a lot better. While Gandalf the Grey is the wizard for me, this now looks like a premium product in comparison to the original; If I had oodles of money, I would have no problem picking this up. The sculpt elevates everything about the figure, outfit included.

Vast improvement! Loving the "real hair" on this as well :)
Can't wait to receive this replacement head sculpt. I would love some photos with different angles. He looks a bit squinty eyed but I don't care. MUCH better than the original.

That's a bit more than a tweaking. It might have started as the same sculpt, but noticeable differences.
asm-gandalf-head3.jpg12033114_972281212828856_8327820764650126640_n.jpg

I do not understand why different light and better paint job makes people think it's different sculpt.
Bad paint job could kill a good sculpt and vice versa.

To me it looks a little fuller in the cheek are. Maybe a little wider?

I'm holding the actual hs in my hand and comparing it to the new pics. Now, as it is supposed to be the same character, there should be great similarities between the two regardless of new sculpt or not. I definitely agree with you that the cheeks look fuller and the face looks wider. There seems to be much more detail around the eyes, but I must confess that denrep-lilium's notion about a better paint job could explain that.....I say could. The pictures of the original proto looked much better than the production piece, which ended up looking sunken in and squashed.
1507432_10151758769656968_2046679818_o.jpg12033114_972281212828856_8327820764650126640_n.jpg

Now that I see my last posting, there is no question that the beard is different. The new one is curlier. Still hard to determine if the face was tweaked all that much. You can see that the original proto has a much fuller face than what the production piece ended up with.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I just noticed that the production piece has the same beard as the new pics, but different from the original proto.
1507432_10151758769656968_2046679818_o.jpgasm-gandalf-head3.jpg12033114_972281212828856_8327820764650126640_n.jpg

I think we are getting the old sculpt. The beard on the proto was changed before production. They pulled a casting without major warping, put rooted hair halfway down and gave it a much better paint job. If so, is this acceptable? To me, if it turns out like the picture, I'm fine with it. I really liked the original sculpt when it was first shown. I thought it was great, but it didn't transfer to production.

Back