Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are symantics being argued here? "Fixed" is a poor choice of words from someone whose first language is not English. "Improved" is what is being offered. I have GTW, there is nothing defective about the head. I have plenty of figures from other companies whose headsculpts and such were subpar. Didn't get anything from them. Give Asmus a chance to improve. If they don't, stop buying.

They already said the old GtW head wasn't good enough. Does that mean defective? Not for me or the others who bought it, simply because it was actually good enough to make the purchase. And I still think it is good, so this new is just a nice gift coming with GtG (that I'm going to buy, of course).

Well if the manufacturer says "the old head wasn't good enough" AND producing a fixed head, it means the head was defective. I think it's clear. I or you or anybody except the manufacturer can say "the head wasn't good enough" and also produce (not for a profit as a company). It does not make it defective. But if the manufacturer admit that "the head wasn't good enough" and produce to sell a fixed head, it makes it defective (is it a repetition? :D).

On the other hand I think it's not ethic to sell it separately to the customers or re-sellers who bought the figure directly from Asmus. Any customer or re-seller who has a bill from Asmus for this figure should get the new and fixed head free. That's my business conduct perception.

Are symantics being argued here? "Fixed" is a poor choice of words from someone whose first language is not English. "Improved" is what is being offered. I have GTW, there is nothing defective about the head. I have plenty of figures from other companies whose headsculpts and such were subpar. Didn't get anything from them. Give Asmus a chance to improve. If they don't, stop buying.

Yes my first language isn't english and it does not block me to say my opinions. Improving or fixing; if you're understanding what I mean it does not make changes. We're not talking as academicians here.

I'm using the "fixed" term in quotes. I really mean "fixing". They are repairing it. The term "improve" may be usable if the figure wasn't released or they freely distribute the head to the figure owners.

On the other hand I'm totally agree with you about the head. I also think it does not defective but if the company admits that it wasn't good a enough and produce a new one, it makes it defective. That's what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Most companies put zero effort into addressing and perceived issues with their product, the fact that these guys care enough to do so deserves praise, and lots of it.

Thanks for all you do George, this collector really appreciates it! Now make some more Orcs please haha

Personally,
we didn't need to give away free body with Eowyn purchase,
it is a move that will cost at least $5000 extra.

In the company's point of view, those figures are SOLD OUT. if it is not 100%, sure, we can release it again and upgrade it, so whoever ones a better version, he can buy it. or just suck up with what you have.

And who wouldn't buy it if the 2nd version is a leap forward? I paid for my Joker 2.0 even I already own a Joker, Joker DX and Bank Rubber Joker. I own a AVP Celtic predator from 2007 and I also bought a new version from 2014. Also, the countless Tony and Ironman...

At least, Asmus don't want our buyers have to go through this for an upgrade.

That is the truth from bottom of our heart.

Personally Asmus...you don't have to defend your position at all. Your doing great, and your always looking to do better! Keep doing what your doing and the fans will keep buying your product.. Nothing in this world is perfect, but just showing the collecting community that your willing to make a better product and learn form previous shortcomings, puts you light years ahead of your competition!

Last edited:
Most companies put zero effort into addressing and perceived issues with their product

Yes, and that's exactly why companies go silent once they reach a certain size (just like Sideshow and HT did). Because they're afraid one guy online will twist their words into a lawsuit. So they're better off saying nothing. Hope that doesn't happen here, because of one or two guys.

The fact that Asmus would even consider putting out improved bits and pieces to address the things we're seeing as shortcomings is precisely the reason they've made a loyal customer out of me. I see absolutely nothing underhanded or nefarious in what they're doing. In fact I've never seen a collectibles company this determined to listen to its customers.

Asmus should make a pack. The head may be improved but the vest and scabbard should be changed immediately. THestaff should be long also but it may be ignored because of it's size.

Maybe they can add only the head with GtG but they can sell the head, vest and scabbard as a set.

Think about it Asmus. Head, vest and scabbard as a package. :D

I don't recall Hot Toys offering an updated head sculpt on their first Dark Knight Joker....and that thing was awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it kind of awesome that asmus recognizes its faults and gives away an improved version for free. I mean who else does this? They deserve praise not critisism, this coming from someone disappointed by this line so far... I have to give credit where it is due this is a mighty cool move.

Most companies put zero effort into addressing and perceived issues with their product, the fact that these guys care enough to do so deserves praise, and lots of it...

:lecture :goodpost: :clap :hi5:

Its amazing how someone can call the good will of Asmus "capitalism".... I mean like a lot of people said. They could just make Gandalf the White 2.0 - with maybe 2 more accessories and a better head... would leave you with a new figure while the old one is then "useless" or for people who prefer it. - Something like HT is doing, or Sideshow (Vader 2.0)...

But no, they give you 2! options, get it for free with another figure (then you actually have two DIFFERENT figures) or get it for a fee from their shop... so you dont have to buy a whole figure for the fix.

And while a big company like HT could for sure offer FREE fixes, a small company like Asmus can not, cause their funds and budget will probably not allow it...

But basically what you say is, that acknowledging the fact of an imperfect HS makes them HAVE to fix it for free... so obviously you prefer HT or Sideshow style. Putting out non accurate figures, or actual insults (Nathan Drake or new Comic Superman) WITHOUT admitting any mistake. So they will just release a new version soon for you to buy... cause as they dont say bad about it, it aint defect and does not have to be fixed then. Right?

You might want to think again about it... ESPECIALLY from customer point of view...

No your right Hot toys, Sideshow and Asmus etc are as bad as each other. They show a propotype and then go away and totally **** up a headsculpt/fig which we then get lumped with after pre-ordering. look at the 1/6 Superman Sideshow recently done wow what a complete change from prototype to final product. The proto looked great but the final fig was **** looking to say the least and tbh i have lost all faith in Sideshow now unless it's an armoured figure.

Fair play to Asmus that they are making a replacement head and i do commend them for that as it's a step in the right direction as they are making their way into the big league for 1/6 high end. But at the end of the day why didn't we get a better 1 in the 1st place at the point they want and need to get a good customer base....dont these companies have anybody on quality control nowadays?

I wouldn't mind if Asmus had said if you have a receipt for your GTW purchase we will do you a discount on the replacement head.

Last edited:
Not that this is the correct thread but it amazes me LotR figures never caught on better with the larger companies. Glad to see this group trying to fill a need (and there is one) just thought demand would be higher for such a large franchise based on a classic story. :dunno Looking forward to GtG later this year.

Not that this is the correct thread but it amazes me LotR figures never caught on better with the larger companies. Glad to see this group trying to fill a need (and there is one) just thought demand would be higher for such a large franchise based on a classic story. :dunno Looking forward to GtG later this year.

Well Toy Biz had a nice run with their action figures, so there was a demand for the lower end stuff. The higher end stuff that was done, wasn't done well. I decided to stay away from LOTR (maybe others did as well) for the same reason I avoided Star Wars (until Hot Toys), too many characters. I was afraid of getting in over my head. Didn't want any if I couldn't get them all. Still avoided LOTR/Hobbit until last month when I just decided to go for it and ordered everything. The first couple of figures weren't main characters and when Asmus did show Gandalf the White and Aragorn, headsculpts didn't impress me. Wasn't until I saw they were redoing the GTW head and reworking Aragorn prior to release that I was in. Hoping things continue to improve because I do love the movies.

They offered it first in the Bank Robber 1.0 Joker. The second head sculpt was the fix to the first Joker, which some still argue is the best Ledger Joker HTs ever sculpted.

Then they did DX 01 & DX 11.

There y'go - Asmus has a way to go before it can compete with the number of updates Hot Toys has busted out. And Tony Stark has been getting upgrades all the way up to the Armor Testing set - it only took 'em, what, ten goes to finally get that right :lol

I really hope Asmus knocks GtG out of the park. That's the Gandalf we all want anyway...right?

Back