Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of photos here. With Asmus, it always seems that the head sculpts are never done justice until you have the figure in hand (Gandalf and Aragorn anyway). Surprised I haven't seen anyone store Gandalf's pipe in his staff yet!

IMG_7695.JPG
IMG_7696.jpg

Mine came last night. The Postman actually came up to my apartment door and left it but didn't bother to knock as my wife was home.

I only had a chance to open him up and take a look but no time for swords or scarves. I think he is really great, really brings the old wizard home.

Here are a few quick cell snaps, zero futzing, just popped his hat on and his pipe and staff into his hand (I couldn't figure out which staff was which by memory so just took one that had the little hanging thing - pipe weed?).

20160822_223317.jpg
20160822_223342.jpg
20160822_223354.jpg
20160822_223325.jpg

His hair comes very coated in product but at least looks good out of the box. The boots are great and the ankles on mine are ok but I used the stand anyways (the normal one, I did not unpack the bridge piece yet). If I had one gripe it is that the hair is a little thin like Saruman's. He definitely could have used a bushier do, especially in the back as I was having a hard time getting it to lay right but I didn't have time to futz him or comb out the hair back there, hoping to get a little more coverage when I do so.

Overall, a really awesome figure!

Last edited:
Just checked my tracking to find Parcelforce have raised a customs fee for this and now I have to pay (when i didn't think I would) and wait for the damn letter.

Annoyed, as I had hoped they would mark it down like 3A do. :(

Just bought some of this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M00459-MOREZMORE-Tibetan-Lamb-Fur-SILVER-GREY-Premium-OOAK-Doll-Baby-Wig-Hair-/201159701147?hash=item2ed60d729b:g:xYEAAOSw9r1WCnbE

Cheap and might be useful if I want to fill in a bit of volume underneath. (He won't be making his way to my house till at least September, and when he does I may very well love him out of the box. But there's no harm in being prepared!)

Oooh - I need me some. Like my figs w. hair (rooted) and plenty of it - depending on character. Sounds like my Gandalf will at minimum be getting a wash and re-style and maybe a weave....

Waiting patiently *twitch*:gandalf

Awesome pics folks are putting up :love

Changed the pose a bit and released his hair more. Don't be shy to undo a lot of the product, remember Gandalf had pretty unwieldy hair. It's important you keep the product in the TOP to retain the slicked back shape, but towards the bottom opening it up makes it more fuzzy and thick. Just pin the excess under his beard and tuck extra bits with some product heavy strands. I still need to give him a dedicated Detolf cube home. I hate giving one figure a whole shelf but this one might be deserving for it, at least for now. Asmus, bring me a Martin Freeman Bilbo! (please).
3010979878685f8dcfe022c46afeee65.jpg

Nice picture!

Well, I received mine.... picked him up at the post office... Overall, a wonderful figure, though mine did come with some issues...

On the plus side...

This is clearly a labor-of-love for Asmus. They went all out on this one. The material choice is excellent, the robes and cloak are soft material yet woven and textured as they should be. The dirt deco is excellent too. This is the first Asmus figure that I won't need to do anything to except water treat. The extras are also given the same attention to detail. The face -- as mentioned again and again -- is the best Gandalf I seen yet. And yes, the hat is also my favorite accessory (forget who said that).

Fresh from the box, no-futz pictures...

Gandalf 1.jpgGandalf 3.jpg

Gandalf 2.jpg

Gandalf 4.jpg

And now... the problems:

As others have mentioned, my box arrived somewhat dinged up, with a nice dent/crease up the back. And also, I have the loose ankles everyone's been talking about -- frustrating but fixable.

NOW.... I do have some problems that I have not seen mentioned here. Mainly, my poor Gandalf has a terrible bald spot problem. I love the "real" hair -- but I think Asmus could use a little more hair and not be so sparing.

Here's what I mean:

bald spot bad COMP.jpg

Is this what everyone else got...? I'm not seeing enough hair there to cover the back scalp.

The other issue is that I also have a bit of bubbling or something going on on one side of my beautiful sword that's unfortunately distracting...

sword blemish COMP.jpg

This is actually the very first Asmus figure I have had some problems with. Luck of the draw, I know. Something must have happened at the factory because when I opened the box the plastic "wrap" that I assume is supposed to go around the face (and hold the hair in place) was laying loose inside the box and Gandalf's hair was sticking to the foam oddly. Perhaps that accentuated the bald spot.

In any event, aside from these issues, I do really love this figure and can see the tremendous amount of work and effort and dedication that Asmus has put into their Gandalf. I am greatly enjoying seeing the leaps in improvement with virtually every figure coming out of this company. Hopefully their shipping and packing QC will also improve with an equal leap.

I don't know if the bald spot on mine was quite that bad, but I think it's going to be pretty much standard to some degree. My head wrap was also loose in the box. Maybe they did that intentionally because of the product in the hair.

Yeah, my box came beat up and my Gandalf looked like he was break dancing in the box on his trip. My plastic head wrap was off the figure too. Other than that I had no issues. No bald spot though. I agree with the hair on these being just a little too thin.

Glad you got him wor-gar....I just got home from the post office myself but haven't had a chance to open him yet....man I hope that baldness is not hereditary :pray:

Diorama maker, nice pose man

Wor-Gar, I can confirm mine has the same set up as far as hair goes. Upside is that it really isn't noticeable in the back. Downside is that we know it exists, amirite haha? I think it has more to do with the product clumping the hair "bunches" together and this revealing he scalp. If I understand right though this is pretty par for the course with rooted hair, no? Now free up that hair a bit and get it messy! But keep the top full of product, just mess with the ends.

Thanks for the compliments guys! One more from the other side. In the right lighting the sculpt really does shine. These are a bit washed out because of the color of the wall paint putting off a yellowed light, but with dynamics I see Ian for sure.

cb0ada138686712a6ac97f99907fa877.jpg

Back