Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,
well... I have started off with the impossible mission of finding Slim V1 versions of these 2 guys. Any hint or offer will be more than welcome. Chinese guys on eBay seem not to be an option, so far.

Anyways, I am curious about what mods you customizing guys are performing on these dudes. Any preferred mod? Have any of you undertook hair rooting?

LMK!
Thank,
m.
Definitely needs a repaint and real hair added. Also, a bit of weathering on the clothes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Guys,
well... I have started off with the impossible mission of finding Slim V1 versions of these 2 guys. Any hint or offer will be more than welcome. Chinese guys on eBay seem not to be an option, so far.

Anyways, I am curious about what mods you customizing guys are performing on these dudes. Any preferred mod? Have any of you undertook hair rooting?

LMK!
Thank,
m.

V1 Frodo being sold here and Sam:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...nisher-body-asmus-lotr-frodo-sam-boromir.html

V2. I think its safe to assume that every store at this point will only have V2. I'd go on eBay, find a seller and request a picture of the head sculpt to ensure its V1.

As always, that's crazy, incredible work by Jake. I don't think people can truly appreciate the near-microscopic artwork and just what it entails by these macro pictures. Jake's got to have some serious magno-goggles, that's for sure... and a surgeon's steady hand.

I recently tried to repaint an eye myself and for the life of me I couldn't get it to look much better than a brown raisin.

Jake turned me onto some goggles and it changed my life but one thing I can completely attest to is no matter how good your tools are you need incredible incredible skill and talent to do this kind of work so I really think that even though we can be blown away by the work, it really takes trying it for yourself to fully appreciate just how damn good Jake's work and talent is.

One thing I will say is that there is absolutely nothing more challenging than hair and his is always spot on. It's not just about gluing on a bunch of hair. Its actually closer to sculpting than it is painting because you have to very carefully select the exact piece of hair to put in the exact spot. you have a 2 foot long clump of hair, you might only actually have a few strands that work for the right spot... it takes a really keen attention to detail and understanding of likeness.

Nothing stresses me out more than knowing I got to put real hair on someone...

Jake's LOTR Work is needless to say inspiring. Jake and Rob and I have been sharing some ideas and tips so I'm all in on LOTR again Gandalf aside I'm hitting LOTR from the ground up in the coming couple of months. I'll touch up my Legolas and Sauroman, just a few things I'm not happy with on those, but Boromir, Gimli, Aragorn and all 4 hobbits are to come. Boromir is currently WIP.

Jake turned me onto some goggles and it changed my life but one thing I can completely attest to is no matter how good your tools are you need incredible incredible skill and talent to do this kind of work so I really think that even though we can be blown away by the work, it really takes trying it for yourself to fully appreciate just how damn good Jake's work and talent is.

One thing I will say is that there is absolutely nothing more challenging than hair and his is always spot on. It's not just about gluing on a bunch of hair. Its actually closer to sculpting than it is painting because you have to very carefully select the exact piece of hair to put in the exact spot. you have a 2 foot long clump of hair, you might only actually have a few strands that work for the right spot... it takes a really keen attention to detail and understanding of likeness.

Jake's LOTR Work is needless to say inspiring. Jake and Rob and I have been sharing some ideas and tips so I'm all in on LOTR again Gandalf aside I'm hitting LOTR from the ground up in the coming couple of months. I'll touch up my Legolas and Sauroman, just a few things I'm not happy with on those, but Boromir, Gimli, Aragorn and all 4 hobbits are to come. Boromir is currently WIP.

Absolutely.

I can't wait to see your work on these...

Well said. I've done my hand at rehairing a few of my figures and I'm no where near as talented as Jacob I know how tedious it is and time consuming so I can appreciate it. He's helped me out with a lot on how to dos and what not. And I bet I got the same goggles as you. I pointed me at those as well. :)

I think the hardest part for me is getting the hairline to look right/natural. I think my best hairing work so far has to be my Kessler Wolf. THAT was a pain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So what goggles did Jake recommend that both you and Ray have?
These are the ones Jacob recommended me when I was inquiring about painting eyes. Screenshot_20181127-153726_Messenger.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Gotta get me a set of those.

Right now I've been juggling a magnifying glass while holding the head and trying to paint. :lol

I use the following for my scale model building and find them much more comfortable to wear (and less pricey) than the previously posted set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H8808H6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Currently working on the Korbanth Super Star Destroyer and the ENDLESS number of fiber optics required for the lighting effects...)

I want to see this!!!!

I always fantasized about having a basketball sized Death Star hanging from the ceiling with fiber optic lights.

Here is the a quick pick of the first pass in drilling and running the fiber optics through one of the side trenches. I had to use those same magnifying glasses that I posted about, just to be able to see! The pic distorts the actual length of the resin piece which is longer than it appears to be there. (Once I have made more progress and have more pics available, I'll create a thread in the Star Wars section...)

IMG_3557.jpg

Sweet Jesus. I can’t wait to see that Super Star Destroyer. As for eye painting, I also use those ones you posted, Fly. A little uncomfortable at first, but you get used to them and the head strap option is awesome. My pupils are still complete dog poop though and practice time is near nonexistent, but I’d recommended them to anyone looking for a cheaper option just getting into the painting game.

Back