Asmus Toys Evil Dead 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--

@Rzeznikk

If I'm not mistaken, you're a customizer too like some others within this thread?

If yes, please provide your insight as a customizer.

What is the supposed threshold/tolerance for a customizer for a product failure like Ash?

Comments throughout this thread indicate customizers with customize (i.e., fix, modify, etc.) whatever flaws they don't care for to get it to their ideal representation.

I take it that has a lot to do with the customization expertise of the customizer.

If I'm mistaken about your customization background, please accept my apology. Absolutely no disrespect to you (or any other customizer who have the expertise to make it right for themselves).
For me personally I don't know if I have an actually threshold as I believe that anything can be a base for a solid custom. It just depends on what you are willing to put the work in or not. Even when this was shown at the Proto type phase I expected (based on Asmus track record) that work will be required.
Things I wasn't expecting to have to mod:

A. Henrietta: I have seen solid hair work on their Gandalf, and while I may not have expected THAT level, I expected hair. Paint was up in the air but I did have my concerns since it's an "accessory piece".
B. Body. While I was planning to build a second figure with these parts for Deadite Ash. I was still expecting to use the stock body for Hero Ash. I expected the cuts and at the very least the nipples painted. Now it's a bit of a reversal where I'm likely going to be using the stock body for Deadite Ash and using one of my bodies I have here for my Hero build.
C. The base is about what I expected it to be. And as I mentioned earlier at least it fits and keys together properly (where the Crown Gandalf Base did not) and there's room for the figure on the base.

Things I were playing with the possibility of modding from the get go:
A. Linda's hair I was thinking about dying or just rehairing altogether.
B. Was planning to weather and bloody up both Deadite Ash clothes and Hero Ash clothes.
C. Was playing with the idea of getting the sculpt repainted and even maybe doing real hair on Hero Ash and add the gray hairs on the side.
D. Seeing about a custom harness/shotgun Holster, but that was the very last thing I was considering doing.

Things that have come to light that I wasn't expecting nor does it bother me or I care about:
A. Misspelling of the name on the Box. It's a BOX. Don't care.
B. Misspelling on the base. If I was just getting the standard this would be a mild annoyance for me, but since I'm using the diorama it's a moot point and the base would likely be staying in the box anyway. Still doesn't obsolve them of it being a QC issue though.
C. Boots. I see people upset about the boots but I don't see any real issues with them. It's usually one of the last things I look at or pay attention to in my figures.
D. Chainsaw, maybe I'm just not as big of a ED fan to pay that close attention to the inaccuracies to the chainsaw so that also isn't as concerning to me.

I'm a huge Indiana Jones nut and I've built several Indys for my collection at varying levels of quality. Not bragging just being truthful: I have spend thousands of dollars on building the ultimate Indy. That's my passion there, so when we customizers are building or making a figure better to our liking we tend to look at the dollar amount as an afterthought because a lot of custom artists (sculptor/Painters/tailors) are just as or even more expensive than this set combined.

I get it that we are in the minority when it come so the overall picture. And the $350-400 price tag is a lot to swallow for many with this level of work evolved.

Some of these fixes I'll have no problem doing myself, but I'm not a quality sculpt painter so that will get sourced out to some painter than will cost be between $250-300 depending on what artist. I can hair pieces. I've done it before, but if I were to source that out we are looking at an additional $300-400 for the hair work.

So like I said it all depends on the individual. How much I love the character and what I'm willing to put in.

Is anyone planning on doing a new harness?

The shirts aren't crazy bad, I mean the collars in the film weren't exactly small. Trying to figure out how we can make this better.

View attachment 556339
View attachment 556340
--

@Godfather1408

A collector/friend I know does fine work with real leather for 1:6 harnesses, etc.

He's open to doing work for the Ash Williams figures.

Below is the link for his Facebook (non-personal) page.

https://www.facebook.com/LuckyShotLeather

The shirts aren't crazy bad, I mean the collars in the film weren't exactly small. Trying to figure out how we can make this better.

View attachment 556339
View attachment 556340
This is where I'm at really. I'd buy a standard and customize it but...

Where can I get a chainsaw?
Where can I get an accurate or close enough shotgun?
Where can I get a new harness and holster?
Where can I find an accurate pair of pants and boots?

Getting the head sculpt re painted wouldn't be a problem but what about all the other stuff?

Edit - Ok the harness and holster seem easy enough to come by I guess.

View attachment 556339
View attachment 556340
What don't you like about the harness? It looks ok to me. Except for the holster being towards his right shoulder, it should be in the middle of his back. But in some scenes it goes towards his right shoulder like when he's fighting Henrietta in the cellar
Screenshot_20220116_164612.jpg

The harness isn't made from leather in the movie, is that the general dislike for it?

In the movie, there is only one single strap made from leather.

Since this convo has now come into my wheelhouse I'll speak up on customization. I have been a sculptor, painter, and monster maker for twenty years. The Slimer in my avatar is one that I did myself. The big question is am I willing to redo this thing? **** no. As much as I enjoy my work when I buy something its from a collectors perspective and I honestly dont want to spend weeks trying to salvage a figure that I paid nearly 400 ******* dollars for. Give me a break. I have work that I'm paid to do. Unless asmus wants to pay me to fix this dumpster fire then no, I expect it to be up to the standards of the average sixth scale figure with no need to redo half of it. For those willing to run the gauntlet with this thing it's more power to you but my times more precious than that. I shouldnt have to fix the dozen or so issues with this after paying that kind of money.

In fact, looking at scenes again the holster is often pointing towards his right shoulder.
Screenshot_20220116_165416.jpg

So i don't understand the complaint i've seen a few times of the holster being in the wrong place. Evil Dead II is full of costume/makeup inconsistencies from scene to scene. It's part of it's low budget charm. Even the chainsaw looks different in some scenes.

Speaking of making it better.. I did a quick PS edit from the photoshop edit that's already posted before, few pages back:

Ash.jpeg

I edited a lot of things from the existing sculpt:
- the overall shape of head, including hairlines, cheeks, jaw and a bit on the chin
- the shape of the eyes, the eyeballs directions, eyebrows shape, and flattened the forehead
- of course reshape the puffy hairdo
- repaint/recolor the blood and added extra purple on cheeks for bruises effect

and all that is easy to do, said, and done in PS, of course.. but in real 3d sculpt, I think that would be a lot of work.. 😅

Since this convo has now come into my wheelhouse I'll speak up on customization. I have been a sculptor, painter, and monster maker for twenty years. The Slimer in my avatar is one that I did myself. The big question is am I willing to redo this thing? **** no. As much as I enjoy my work when I buy something its from a collectors perspective and I honestly dont want to spend weeks trying to salvage a figure that I paid nearly 400 ******* dollars for. Give me a break. I have work that I'm paid to do. Unless asmus wants to pay me to fix this dumpster fire then no, I expect it to be up to the standards of the average sixth scale figure with no need to redo half of it. For those willing to run the gauntlet with this thing it's more power to you but my times more precious than that. I shouldnt have to fix the dozen or so issues with this after paying that kind of money.
Yeah, that is unacceptable indeed.
What do you think if they give you a partial refund (maybe 30%?) of the total price of the figure?

Totally respect your point of view. For me I do this as a hobby and nothing more. I don't do commissions and I understand that when you do this for a living the last thing you want to be doing is spending time fixing something you paid @Asmus to deliver on to begin with.

That looks really good lol

Honestly though, if the hair was taken in at the sides alone, the sculpt would be fine. Not perfect, but fine.

Speaking of making it better.. I did a quick PS edit from the photoshop edit that's already posted before, few pages back:

View attachment 556342

- the overall shape of head, including hairlines, cheeks, jaw and a bit on the chin
- the shape of the eyes, the eyeballs directions, eyebrows shape, and flattened the forehead

and all that is easy to do, said, and done in PS, of course.. but in real 3d sculpt, I think that would be a lot of work.. 😅

What do you think if they give you a partial refund (maybe 30%?) of the total price of the figure?
I would have loved if this was a Crown Release with movable eyes. But at this point that would have probably turned out a disaster as well. 😆

Bruce has a very expressionistic face using his eyes. But I think it would have been poorly executed. HT DX05 Rings a bell.

That looks really good lol

Honestly though, if the hair was taken in at the sides alone, the sculpt would be fine. Not perfect, but fine.
It looks like they looked at photos of him in Army of Darkness as well for reference as the hair looks more like the figure in that film
Screenshot_20220116_170316_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I would have loved if this was a Crown Release with movable eyes. But at this point that would have probably turned out a disaster as well. 😆

Bruce has a very expressionistic face using his eyes. But I think it would have been poorly executed. HT DX05 Rings a bell.
Yes, this is what I mean, he's very expressive!
The existing asmus sculpt is showing.. weird uncertain emotion. It seems like they want him to look witty but ends up looking scared yet smiling, but in a bad way.

View attachment 556342

That alone looks a lot better. The head really does suffer from this sort of bloated look. Thinning down the hair, cheeks, and jaw line really helps.

As for your question even 15% off the top would be acceptable. With a discount like that it would be a three hundred dollar figure and thats honestly what it;s worth at this point. I might even accept it as is at that price. Hell it would definitely encourage me to do a few mods at least.

Last edited:
That alone looks a lot better. The head really does suffer from this sort of bloated look. Thinning down the hair, cheeks, and jaw line really helps.

As for your question even 15% off the top would be acceptable. With a discount like that it would be a three hundred dollar figure and thats honestly what it;s worth at this point. I might even accept it as is at that price. He'll it would definitely encourage me to do a few mods at least.
Well then,
That can be one good way to solve this mess, what say you, @Asmus?

It looks like they looked at photos of him in Army of Darkness as well for reference as the hair looks more like the figure in that film View attachment 556344
I've said from the very beginning that this was a mashup figure. Like you mention his hair is clearly army, Henrietta is 100% from the tv show, and the cabin isn't remooootely accurate to anything see on screen.

I've said from the very beginning that this was a mashup figure. Like you mention his hair is clearly army, Henrietta is 100% from the tv show, and the cabin isn't remooootely accurate to anything see on screen.
I dunno, Henrietta at least had hair in the show 🤣

The cabin is definitley not accurate but i like that it reminds you of 2 of the most memorable moments in the film (in the workshed with Linda's head/the trap door).

Back