Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got this guy in and have to say he's really, really nice. All of the accessories and details are excellent - the green jewels, the arrows, the stitching. So much fun to get him set up and all put together. I do have a few mods in mind:

- My main gripe is the shininess of his coat. Going to try to dull it down somehow (vinegar + water? Matte medium? Not sure yet)
- Find/make the black cloth that's wrapped around his arrows (an odd omission considering it's in the picture on the box :))
- Dye his cloak to a more Strider green and remove the Lorien brooch
- General weathering - especially the boots
- And yeah, the hair. I really dig some of the haired mods people have done - cman's is awesome - but I just prefer sculpted. Hoping the piece can be lowered, reshaped and then painted darker. We'll see.

All in all though, he's a kick*** figure and I'm happy to have him. Should be a lot of fun to mess around with a bit. I've never considered army-building before but I really wouldn't mind a pack of Dúnedain at his back. :aragorn :aragorn :aragorn :aragorn :aragorn

That sounds like an amazing mod. Please post pics when your done!

838cc105aacd1d1b8804585afa469265.jpg

So, I added a little more hair to the top of Aragorn's head. I'm using pictures as a guide and I don't want to add to much, but I like the look on person.
I haven't watched the film's in a while but he's giving me a reason to pop in the bluray set.

As a kid I was a huge fan of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. On the right is my tribute to one of its characters using Eowyn's gear. I'm really looking forward to Boromir and Legolas and I'm thinking of getting Merry and Pippin too.

After seeing all these great customs,
I wonder if anyone will be interested if we make another version of Aragorn in root hair ?

I wonder if anyone will be interested if we make another version of Aragorn in root hair ?

I would be interested if this is just a separate head with rooted hair, like an "upgrade" pack.

If you make one with rooted hair please look at include two heads, one with rooted and one without. That way both camps are happy. You could do it with a Helms Deep version or a version from the battle at them gates of Mordor.

Yeah, a rooted hair version with the same sculpt would work wonders. Please get rid of the second scult ( the open mouth version), something else could be done, maybe a different facial expression?

I'd like the king of the reunited kingdom of arnor and gondor :)

It would be interesting to try to see what accessories could be included in this other version

I'd definitely buy a rooted hair head. Just use the same type of material as opposed to the synthetic Barbie look. I've got to figure out how to start doing these types of hair mods, weathering and paint touch ups.

I really can't believe that underneath that ugly hairsculpt is a very good Aragorn headsculpt. As I'm not crafty enough to do it myself so I'll wait for the 2.0 version. (+ the type of plastic or paint job on the hands are minor errors that could easily be fixed. There're just too shiny.)

The Black Gates version of Aragorn makes the most sense for the next version (maybe with an armored Brego to display with the Mouth of Sauron). A Helm's Deep version would just consist of a red shirt and chain mail (and would not include Anduril unless it was an extra).

However, the red shirt, chainmail, and Anduril could be packaged with a new head as an "upgrade" package to the released version. If Asmus also included a more detailed version of the grey shirt along with the dark hooded "Strider" cloak in this package (and maybe a Palantir?), then their Aragorn would be suitable for every scene from his first appearance at the Prancing Pony through the Battle of Pelennor Fields.

A Coronation "Elessar" figure would be interesting but I think the demand for a Black Gates version would be higher. The two costumes share some common features (or at least appear to), but are too different to realistically be packaged as a single feature (esp. as Aragorn's face, beard, and hair appear so much more "cleaned up" that it would likely require a separate head sculpt).

I certainly would be interested.... although I am curious to try this myself for fun.

Good idea to perhaps make that rooted sculpt part of the Aragorn 2.0 (Black Gates pack).

I definitely think rooted is the way to go provided it doesn't look like Barbie hair. Asmus you did great on the sculpt. That excellent sculpt shows its true potential with rooted hair. I'd definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested in a rooted hair sculpt expansion pack. But only if it looks as good as the customs here.

Related, I would also be very interested in a resculpted plastic hair piece for the existing head. It isn't the sculpted vs. rooted debate that holds the sculpt back, in my opinion, it's that the hair sculpt needed more tweaking.

Last edited:
Back