Asmus Toys 1/6 Azog..?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy Azog in 1/6 in a heartbeat. Lord of the Rings is my preference but I would be on board for him, any of the dwarves and a 2.0 Tauriel. Again I would prefer some Uruk Hai and Faramir before getting more Hobbit figure but if they are 1/6 I would still like to get them. 1/4 would be too expensive and take up too much room for me to justify getting them.

Getting a lot of feedback on the 1/4 Azog, as said in one of our replies that we've been hesitant on releasing AZOG in 1/6 because for one Hobbit line is a harder sell and two we were looking to expand our collection a little. We didn't want to create a conflict between our own products so we weren't keen on making Azog in 1/6 too. But now we are open for discussion seeing all your comments. So basically would 1/6 be worth diving into and would it clash with the 1/4 we had already planned?

Dear Mr Asmus, there is something I don't quite get: if (as you say) The Hobbit line is harder to sell, and you have never had a statue release before, why going onto such a new ground with such a risky bet??? Why not establishing yourself on the statue arena with something LOTR?

And as said by others: what makes you believe that lower Hobbit sales are actually due to the support media being 1/6? It is obviously down to the subfranchise itself!

Also, there is no denying that there is a huge LOTR statue/bust market out there, even in spite of the clear 1/6-ness of the unsufficient statistical sample this thread actually is. Proof of it: other successful firms like SSC, Weta, etc. That, combined with what has been said before (lots of LOTR fan craze gathering down the decades), makes for a strong business case that Asmus should explore, because chances are it will be successful. On a personal level, I want to see Asmus thrive and be financially healthy so that they can keep providing the only thing I am interested in: 1/6. Diversifying into 2 successful product lines adds safety to the business (of course only if both lines are successful), so making statues might be a good idea.

Yet, I don't like the posibility of your 1/6 LOTR range being sidetracked, which is possible if Asmus is to proceed cautiously on the entrepeneurial side: you just can't hire more manpower for something its sustainability you are not sure of, so you use your current workforce to do both things at the same time, things take much more to get done, figures take a long time to become a reality. There is still much to be done yet on LOTR, especially now with the advent of the Crown Line (Sauron...... my prrrrrrrreciousssss...).

The The Hobbit range is controversial (even on the political front, with those labour struggles that went on prior to shooting), so extreme caution has to be applied (independent of media: 1/6, 1/4, whatever) and only well-loved characters with a fair amount of screen time and weight in the drama are to be done: baddies (like Azog) use to be loved as they provide a much needed antagonistic counterweight (with plenty of screen time) both on screen and on the shelf. Legolas, Radagast and Balin are, in my view, other examples that might work out well (big-bearded dwarves might be particularly successful: they look like quintessential dwarves, unlike Fili or Kili). If things work out well, you can go on from there (I hope you get some day to make Gloin and Ironfoot on its ride...).

Now that you are here, I will also present you with another of my "great ideas for products" for free: I'd like to build some not-too-big LOTR dioramas, with figs interacting among each other within an environment (I just don't like musem poses). To that aim, it would be useful to have secondary characters to fill the background of those dioramas, for realism. Why not creating a cheaper line of such LOTR characters (mainly orcs, maybe also Gondor/Rohan soldiers), using your experience and skills to cut corners where possible so that each fig would be around $100? That would be more or less the cost of kitbashing the fig in places like Toy Anxiety (kitbash parts are soooo expensive these days), it would look way better than a kitbash made of unrelated parts, and we fans would spare a lot of time and pain. You could even sell the sets without the body (only clothes, accessories, hands, feet and maybe head), for us to use our spare bodies on. I am daaaaamn sure people would deem these sets worthy and make the expense... well... maybe... right...?

Last but not least: that kickstarter thing, as said by others before, is your friend guys!

RfC,
m.

Asmus, if you guys a thinking of statues, I think 1/6 monsters like the cave troll, warg or even a fellbeast (I mean Threezero are doing a 1/6 dragon) might sell better than a 1/4 Azog. Something to interact with figures already in your fans collection. As pointed out before, Azog is not THAT popular and it takes ALOT of love for a character for collectors to buy a one off item in a different scale!

Asmus, if you guys a thinking of statues, I think 1/6 monsters like the cave troll, warg or even a fellbeast (I mean Threezero are doing a 1/6 dragon) might sell better than a 1/4 Azog. Something to interact with figures already in your fans collection. As pointed out before, Azog is not THAT popular and it takes ALOT of love for a character for collectors to buy a one off item in a different scale!

:exactly:

This ^ A 1/6 Cave Troll with limited articulation would be amazing.

100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/6 cavetroll/monster statue is an interesting thought. I will definitely bring this to our team but again we always have to keep in mind licensing restriction.

Yeah. Even a limited 5-points articulations would be splendid. You did an articulated horse before I sure hope you can give us articulated 1/6 creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/6 cavetroll/monster statue is an interesting thought. I will definitely bring this to our team but again we always have to keep in mind licensing restriction.

Exactly which restrictions do you refer to?
While you are here, you could also tell us why you are going deeper into Hobbit, when there are so many beloved characters from LOTR still unreleased (Sauron, Gollum, Faramir, pending 2.0s of important chars like Gandalf the White, etc), as well as prototyped dioramas of very important LOTR moments also still unreleased and that if properly priced, would sell well (e.g Balin's tomb). I can think of other cheap diorama pieces you could easily produce and would sell well, particularly the pieces of furniture used in the White Council and Elrond's council, Saruman's throne and big table (complete with all those wizzard accessories), a bigger/ better Barad-Dûr bridge, the canoes from the Argonath, or Bilbo's house entrance or desk.

I am also for articulated items, particularly steeds (horses or wargs). No statues please. See Inflames' seamless articulated white horse from Journey to the West. A great idea, an absolutely timeless masterpiece. Concerning the cavetroll in 1/6 (even worse in a 1/4 statue), the real problem is its size. Cavetrolls are giants, same as Sauron and Treebeard. You would have to establish a Giants from Middle Earth line, and find the way to be able to do this things for reasonable prices (make them hollow!), and ship them disassembled. A particular remark concerning the biggest of them all, the Balrog: a long time ago, before the advent of rooted hair, LED light-up features, and all those great technologies that are commonplace today in 1/6, a company called Toybiz gave us https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_081806a.htm. This balrog was articulated and big enough, but I am sure you could get it bigger and meaner (and more realistic) while keeping the price "in check" (the Toybiz version was $80 in 2006).

My 2c anyway.

Thanks,
m.

Do you all realize a 1/6th cave troll would be about 34" tall? IMO it would be too expensive to produce, not many would buy it, and it would be a huge loss for Asmus. The only large scale figure I could see them doing, and even that would be risky, would be Sauron.

Do you all realize a 1/6th cave troll would be about 34" tall? IMO it would be too expensive to produce, not many would buy it, and it would be a huge loss for Asmus. The only large scale figure I could see them doing, and even that would be risky, would be Sauron.

A cave troll would be about 24” tall.
Cave trolls are slightly bigger than Stone Trolls and the biggest stone Troll was William who is 11 feet tall, a little under twice Gandalf’s height.

24” is doable.

I think the 1/4 Azog looks great, but I ran out of space (and budget) for 1/4 stuff a long time ago. (Yes, the 1/4 scale Sauron and Nazgul on Steed both loom over my collection room.) So while I wouldn't be interested in the larger scale statue, I would 100% buy a 1/6 figure of him. Thorin and Bilbo turned out beautifully (as did Bard) and I'd love to have this big nasty in the figure display as well.

Is there a chance some of the parts needed for an Azog figure could be re-purposed to create some Uruk-Hai figures? (Just in different colors? They do have similar body types.) That might help make him a little more affordable on the production end.

I'm just going by what I Googled. One Ring Net said they were 17 feet tall.

Maybe both are correct? Maybe he'd be that tall if he ever stood up straight? He does hunch over something awful. My grade school teachers would have had a lot to say about his posture.

Last edited:
I'm just going by what I Googled. One Ring Net said they were 17 feet tall.

Yeah, no probs dude.
I might be mixed up on it.
From what I remember (going by memory), Stone Troll are the smallest (William, Tom and Bert) smallest of those three comes in around 9ft 10” while William is 11 foot tall.
Mountain Trolls are the biggest of the trolls coming in at 17/18 foot tall and the cave trolls fall in the middle of them somewhere.
Mountain Trolls are the ones operating Grond in Return if the King.

Treebeard comes in at 14 foot tall for reference against the trolls. <- he would be a great figure.

I could be wrong on that. If they are the size of Mountain Trolls they would be huge figures indeed.

As far as larger characters/figures go, I would personally only be interested in Treebeard, which is certainly doable.

We definitely need the horses, especially Theoden's Snowmane and Gandalf the White's Shadowfax.

Back