ARRIVAL (2016) Sci-Fi; Directed by Denis Vlleneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it intelligent but not very involving. To me, it felt bleak, emotionless and a bit stilted -- like a Nolan film.

I was really looking forward to this too. Probably the right director for Bladerunner 2 though.

Finally saw this.

Woah.

Villeneuve you magnificent bastard! easy preemptive 9/10, could rise up to 10 on second viewing, and I can't wait for a second, this one feels more rewatchable than VVitch.

But daaaamn, I can't wait to start reading the novelette, this is the high concept Sci-fi that I love, best sci-fi is that that makes you introspect into the human condition BESIDES making you look up to the stars, and brilliant representation of the simultaneous nature of time.

It was eye watering at times.

And the soundtrack was exquisite.

I can already see some things that could be perceived as plot holes, they aren't though, the story itself isn't terribly deep but the implications are.

Yeah, good movie. Oh, cinematography was really pretty, obviously, it's based Denis.

Finally saw this.

Woah.

Villeneuve you magnificent bastard! easy preemptive 9/10, could rise up to 10 on second viewing, and I can't wait for a second, this one feels more rewatchable than VVitch.

But daaaamn, I can't wait to start reading the novelette, this is the high concept Sci-fi that I love, best sci-fi is that that makes you introspect into the human condition BESIDES making you look up to the stars, and brilliant representation of the simultaneous nature of time.

I can already see some things that could be perceived as plot holes, they aren't though, the story itself isn't terribly deep but the implications are.

Yeah, good movie. Oh, cinematography was really pretty, obviously, it's based Denis.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Yes, that's one of the examples I was thinking, you may think it's a paradox, but it isn't, the 2 events are tied to each other and they were always supposed to happen bound to each other, that's the "palindrome" nature of the perception of time of the Heptapods.

This isn't time-travel, there isn't really a first time.

You're thinking in English too much :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Any movie that plays with the concept of
Spoiler Spoiler:
will likely be rife with
Spoiler Spoiler:

Personally, considering the subject matter, some suspension of disbelief is required.

Especially for such a great film.

Yes, that's one of the examples I was thinking, you may think it's a paradox, but it isn't, the 2 events are tied to each other and they were always supposed to happen bound to each other, that's the "palindrome" nature of the perception of time of the Heptapods.

This isn't time-travel, there isn't really a first time.

You're thinking in English too much :lol

Hmmm. Maybe I need to see it again! Looking forward to it.

Finally saw this.

Woah.

10/10 for me upon first viewing, 10/10 after three viewings.

Best Picture Nomination, Best Director Nomination, Best Actress Win, Best Adapted Screenplay Nomination, Best Cinematography Nomination.

10/10 for me upon first viewing, 10/10 after three viewings.

Best Picture Nomination, Best Director Nomination, Best Actress Win, Best Adapted Screenplay Nomination.
Man I can't wait to see what this dude does with Blade Runner, ****!

I need to rewatch it right now!

But it's not a paradox :lol And it's not time travel.

Think Dr. Manhattan, knowing how things develop but going through it anyway.

I know it's not time travel, it's existing in every moment of time all at once.

But I also understand his question about what would have led to her acquiring the number in the first place. It's thought provoking stuff, the kind of movie that makes me love sci-fi.

I know it's not time travel, it's existing in every moment of time all at once.

But I also understand his question about what would have led to her acquiring the number in the first place. It's thought provoking stuff, the kind of movie that makes me love sci-fi.
Exactly.

And yeah, we have to overcome the fact that we perceive time lineally, B event follows A event.

It's such simple questions over concepts that we take for granted that mind**** me the most, I hadn't been so dizzy since Interstellar, I know that movie is pop-corn but it asked some freaky ass questions too.

That's the last time I just give away answers to anybody man! :lol This is why I don't do it.

I just did you a disservice, by keeping you from going through it by yourself and spoiled the movie for you big time.

Why do you hate movies bro? :monkey2:

Dude, I have the memory of a goldfish. By the time I see it, I won't even remember who's in the film.

Exactly.

And yeah, we have to overcome the fact that we perceive time lineally, B event follows A event.

It's such simple questions over concepts that we take for granted that mind**** me the most, I hadn't been so dizzy since Interstellar, I know that movie is pop-corn but it asked some freaky ass questions too.

I disagree on Interstellar. Its a brilliant film with glorious performances. An example of filmmaking at its finest. Criminally underrated and absurdly snubbed during awards season two years ago.

Like 2001, it was simply too intelligent for the Academy voters.

I disagree on Interstellar. Its a brilliant film with glorious performances. An example of filmmaking at its finest. Criminally underrated and absurdly snubbed during awards season two years ago.

Like 2001, it was simply too intelligent for the Academy voters.
No man, I love interstellar, but it's too mushy and sentimental for a high-concept sci-fi, the whole love thing was hammered and things were too spoon fed to the audience (although some still didn't get it, not even with the Nolan megaphone :lol) not enough "show don't tell" and leave the audience scratch their heads and figure it out on their own.

It needed to be cleaner, colder, not hold you by the hand so much, and remove some fat for it to compete with 2001, as it stands it is a pop-corn equivalent of 2001, which is a shame because it handles concepts as high or maybe higher (because it's more literal) than the ones in 2001 and the cinematography is beautiful.

Dialog was preachy at times and performances were hammered at times too, all of this hurt the movie.

Sure the teachings in the movie are phenomenal, but a movie also has to worry about how it delivers those teachings.

I repeat, I love Interstellar, but because of the block-buster approach they took with it, I can't give it more than a 7.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the Prestige, nor Memento, they're on my backlog.

ax96bPf.gif

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back