Ark of the Covenant Prop Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The description says PAINTED and NOT chrome plated like the idol does.

grailknight.jpg

For $250, it should of had some sort of stand or even an exclusive accessory like the Nazi crate. Hell, the one you are buying alone is missing a feature itself!

Can you see what I am referring to?...

Frilly little tassels on the polls? 2 Guys holding it up? Giant statues behind it?

How shiny is the real Ark of the Covenant? Anybody seen it in real life?

No? OK, how about just (one of?) the original prop(s) instead? Was it chrome-plated? Or just painted gold and lit brightly?

We are looking for a scale <i>prop</i> replica, right? Why does everyone insist it must be chromed or nothing?

For $250, it should of had some sort of stand or even an exclusive accessory like the Nazi crate. Hell, the one you are buying alone is missing a feature itself!

Can you see what I am referring to?...

arjones.jpg

For 1:4 scale, no excuse for that.

I may still get it despite my gripes, but it seems I wil lhave to add stuff to my own to make it better IMO.

Ironically, the one pictured in the living room isnt complete either, its missing something as well :nana:

i dont know if i am correct but approximetely the ark in comparison with indy should look similar to the picture...
also i find if the witdh if is 597mm (pole size)that the actual size of the ark should be less than 300mm
i didn't catch also from what material is the ark made from

No? OK,

There are plenty of good reference photos available ( check the lucasfilm archives book for one) of the real prop to establish that a reflective surface is pretty much paramount to the success of this piece in terms of accuracy..

No? OK, how about just (one of?) the original prop(s) instead? Was it chrome-plated? Or just painted gold and lit brightly?

We are looking for a scale <i>prop</i> replica, right? Why does everyone insist it must be chromed or nothing?

My Gobler Idol is electroplated from the same company that did the the original Idol, the Ark, and C-3P0.

Believe me when I say paint just aint gonna cut it.

My Gobler Idol is electroplated from the same company that did the the original Idol, the Ark, and C-3P0.

Believe me when I say paint just aint gonna cut it.

Agreed, and also got my Gobler on the way. :)

The tassles are missing on the poles for the quarter scale.

Ironically, the one pictured in the living room isnt complete either, its missing something as well :nana:

Yes the fabric on the poles, that was prior to it being received on set for its cameo in the Crystal Skull. ;-)

Okay so who is going to be making 1:4 tassles? This is of course if Sideshow does not correct this themselves.

The description says PAINTED and NOT chrome plated like the idol does.

That is some pure pwnage right there.

If this thing isn't CHROME PLATED like the idol, then it's a definite NO-GO for me. I'd likely wait until this thing is on gift-card or ebay anyways. $250 up front plus shipping through FEDEX and taxes to Canuck-Land = $350. I got the Hasbro one for $30 and it still looks shinier and more accurate IMO.

I was really hoping for better sculpt, chrome plated - $150 - $175 TOPS for this. :dunno

If this thing isn't CHROME PLATED like the idol, then it's a definite NO-GO for me. I'd likely wait until this thing is on gift-card or ebay anyways. $250 up front plus shipping through FEDEX and taxes to Canuck-Land = $350. I got the Hasbro one for $30 and it still looks shinier and more accurate IMO.

I was really hoping for better sculpt, chrome plated - $150 - $175 TOPS for this. :dunno

:rock :rock :rock

I agree. Since we know they won't decide to plate this thing after the fact I won't be picking this up unless I can get it for $100 or less.

It's clear that Sideshow's forte is NOT props. Just go back to statues and do what you do best. I applaud the effort, but it clearly isn't good enough for the collectors around here, and not at a $250 price point. :gah:

This is something for consideration, but only at a price reduction somewhere down the road. For now, I think I'll just get the idol.

Sideshow does excellent props - anyone who thinks not hasn't seen very much of their work. It's very rare that I've been disappointed by one of their actual prop replicas.

This isn't, of course. This is a scaled replica.

I'm also amused by how skewed people's perceptions of cost and value can get. Plated? For $250? Not going to happen. The idol is almost $200, and is about 1/3 the size of this Ark. On top of that, it's much easier to manufacture and plate since it's a single piece with little decoration.

I'm not buying this because it's not good enough for $250 - but I also realize that making one good enough would not be within my budget either, so having any proper 1/4 scale Ark is just simply out of the question.

Sideshow does excellent props - anyone who thinks not hasn't seen very much of their work. It's very rare that I've been disappointed by one of their actual prop replicas.

This isn't, of course. This is a scaled replica.

I'm also amused by how skewed people's perceptions of cost and value can get. Plated? For $250? Not going to happen. The idol is almost $200, and is about 1/3 the size of this Ark. On top of that, it's much easier to manufacture and plate since it's a single piece with little decoration.

I'm not buying this because it's not good enough for $250 - but I also realize that making one good enough would not be within my budget either, so having any proper 1/4 scale Ark is just simply out of the question.

I will agree with you in some respects, you are right that plating this would cost a lot more.

But I am sorry if they cannot produce an accurate or even somewhat accurate Ark for a decent price they should NOT be putting it out.

I will agree with you in some respects, you are right that plating this would cost a lot more.

But I am sorry if they cannot produce an accurate or even somewhat accurate Ark for a decent price they should NOT be putting it out.

Agreed, all or nothing. Close enough never goes over well with the public or at least those who know the differences. Prototypes pending approval have at least a fair shot of improving based on external and some internal constructive criticisms.

Agreed, all or nothing. Close enough never goes over well with the public or at least those who know the differences. Prototypes pending approval have at least a fair shot of improving based on external and some internal constructive criticisms.

I agree to some extent. Truthfully, I can't remember a single SS prototype that IMPROVED upon production.

Back