Aragorn at the Black Gates pictures!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great to me. As for the likeness, I want a statue that represents Aragorn, not Viggo, so I think the sculpt is great the way it is.:banana

Exactly!! As I've said before I want the essence of the character which is Aragorn.

!

I had lasik done last year and do not need glasses

Gru, maybe they burnt too much off??...:whip
Come on now, what dont you like with this piece? I love it and
am glad it is coming!!!! :banana

Re: !

:(
WHO IS THAT??? It sure isn't Aragorn! That face! :puke

The detail is great, except for that!

Man, I was hoping for a different pose....I don't recall Aragorn charging the Black Gate on a horse! :rolleyes

I think both Mumak and Aragorn are...
adore.gif

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
arms.gif

I already had Aragorn on order but I just ordered Mumak and PJ and I..
USED THE BANNER !!!!!
To help support our forum..
dancing2.gif

Bill
:gandalf

I think that the shade of blue chosen is too bright. Look at these screen caps from the black gate scene:
returnkingextd220tt.jpg

returnkingextd239fh.jpg

Film Aragorn's cape is only slightly darker than the covering on the horse, which seems almost black. The sculpture's blue is too bright a shade. It needs to be a much deeper, richer, and darker blue. I'm still buying it, but I think the bright blue might be why some people think it looks "cartoony." (I don't think it's that bad...)

One AatBG statue SOLD!

I love it... I can't understand all the criticism. I think the likeness is great, but there aren't enough close-up photos of the face to be really sure.

To be honest, I was expecting a more boring pose, as I don't remember him charging like that either. I was dreading pic releases of this one, and now I'm a happy LOTR collector again. Goody goody.

:dance

I am really impressed with this. I am also REALLY happy the horse isn't rearing up like GoSF. Only wish the sword was angled down a little more (take up less space). Still am really happy with it!!!:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Obviously, the blue on the SS site and the blue from the film is totally different. I would prefer the darker blue, and maybe SS will modify this later... or maybe.. as has happened before, the pics don't do the statue justice.

Blue, Black or Turqouis.... this statue ROCKS

WOW! I think this is the best LOTR piece yet! And at 5000 edition size, everyone will be able to get one!

I think that the shade of blue chosen is too bright. Look at these screen caps from the black gate scene
You have to remember, though, that the films were digitally color graded, so that what we see on the screen may not be the same color as the props/costumes that were used. If the sculptor used the actual props as a reference, it may very well be that the color is a dead-on match.

Good point.. but at the same time... they should realize that what was on film, was not what was seen with the naked eye...

But I can see arguments for both points!

As always , the statues will look much better in person than the pics on Sideshows website . I almost passed up the Gothmog and Warg based on the pics . That was a huge mistake on my part for relying too much on photos of a prototype(It is now among my favorite pieces even though I have never cared too much about Gothmog as a character) . I think Aragorn and Brego looks great the way it is , and will likely look much better in person later . There will probably be alot of disappointed people later , because they are passing this up now . :dunno

Well, that finally settles the question of whether or not to collect the riders and steeds. I don't like this one at all, the caparison, the ring's gem and perhaps the metal are too bright, whereas the inside of the cloak is way too dark (all of his red clothes were the same shade, but you can barely tell the statue's cloak is red at all)

This would be an easy problem to fix though, at least before the statue reaches the painting stage of production. If they do, I might reconcider, but as it looks now I don't think it would fit in with the rest of my collection simply based on the colours.

It was also the kind of pose I was afraid of, based on Gandalf and Legolas/Gimli. I was hoping for a pose that fits with that part of the movie. If they wanted to do a charging Aragorn they might have based it off the warg attack scene.

Just as well, it'll be a lot easier just to find room to display Gandalfax and the Ringwraith. The full rider set was going to be strange anyway without the Rohirrim. My Elessar will represent Aragorn in statue form quite adequately.

Some people seem to think that Aragorn should look more like he actually did in this scene and in the movie's teaser poster. However, that would make him look too much like Gandalf on Shadowfax (a sculpt that looks great for the character but is not necessarily capturing a precise iconic moment in one of the films) or Legolas/Gimli (a sculpt that does a great job capturing the essence of the two characters... but they don't really have a big fight scene together on horseback in the films). It's a shame that an iconic film-accurate sculpt is rejected because of its potential redundancy compared to two previous non-film sculpts. Aragorn should have come first in his iconic pose, and the others should have followed appropriately. I would say that my image of Aragorn at the black gate is him riding high, inspiring his men with his speech and holding Anduril up in defiance of Sauron and his armies. Aragorn crouched down riding somewhere in a hurry doesn't sum up that moment for me, nor does it sum up the moment where Aragorn and the rest of the fellowship run towards the enemy. Two iconic moments have been combined into one: some like the result, some are less happy. I'll buy it, but I might have preferred a different approach.

I've got to agree. As much as I had high hopes for this one, it's not what I was expecting at all. The likeness and the charging pose. I would much rather had him with the horse reared up and sword raised like in the pic Josh posted. Either that, or giving his speech like in the screen caps shown. If Chuck's pics dont sway me, I'll cancel this one and forfeit my deposit. His pics did change my mind about Gothmog, but then again the pose on that one was fitting. IMO, this one is not. Oh well.

I'm with Maldaketh,

Was suprised by this one doesn't like him,maybe if i see it in person i might chance my mind but at this point it looks a toy to me.

Regards Linda

Well...I for one am pumped over this piece.

Look great paired up with Gandalf on Shadowfax and Legolas and Gimli on Arod. :rock

I love it!, I think it wiil look awesome although maybe difficult to display to get the best effect.

I have to agree on the Blue though, it is a little bright to say the least, I hope that is just the pictures or the prototype and it will be darker when released.Looks so much better darker IMO.

Either way, I still think it looks amazing and Im still getting one!

Shell
x
:toast :gimli

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time

I like it!:clap

Back